How do you say "Fighting!" in your language?

Hi everyone!

To help provide some global~ words of encouragement to the Viki Community, we wanted to know, what is the go-to cheer(s) of encouragement in your language (ex. “Fighting!” in Korean or “Jia you!” in Mandarin)?

For some inspiration, some popular languages on Viki (in terms of subtitling activity) include:

Chinese
French
German
Greek
Indonesian
Italian
Japanese
Polish
Portuguese
Romanian
Spanish

Language not on this list? No worries! Let us know your language’s cheer! The more, the better!

1 Like

We have various ones in Dutch but I think the most common one is “Zet 'm op!”

1 Like

German:
Auf geht’s - Let’s go!

This one is no longer that used - Frisch an’s Werk! - Freshly (motivated/energized) set to work.

Dann mal los! - Here goes!

Toi, toi, toi! - … in the meaning of good luck.

There are many, many more …

Oh, there is a less gentle one. Hau rein! -
Which in German has 2 meanings - 1. To eat a lot, don’t mind your manners … 2. To “hit” but no directly as to hit someone with your strength, just that you should use your strength right.

2 Likes

We sometimes use “Toi, toi, toi!” too but I haven’t heard anyone using it in years and I actually forgot all about it until you mentioned it hahahaha :smile:

1 Like

The only time my American friends understand, “Fighting!” with a fist pump is if they watch K-dramas. At sporting events, you might hear cheerleaders scream, “Fight! Fight! Fight!” Otherwise, to say it in the context used in a K-drama, I would say, “You can do it!” or “Go for it!” or “Believe!” or “Let’s do it!” or even just “Go!” depending on who I was saying it to and why. We also say, “Break a leg!” in theater.

Just one of those false friends we can stumble over when learning new languages…

4 Likes

Indonesian says, Cumungut!! --it;s a cute ways of Semangat (get full of spirit and passion)

Literally, Berjuang!

1 Like

Well, it’s “imported” from the theatre, an people from theatre would travel international. So it probably went to a lot of countries …

The “problem” is that most of the time there is often a word used that is in context with what the one is doing.

Like “Spring!” for Jump!, if one is jumping.
“Schneller, weiter, höher …!” - Faster, further, higher, …!

in arabic we say ( haz sa’eed)
in egyptian arabic we say ( rabina maak for a guy , and rabina maaki for a girl ) which means god be with you

In Vietnamese, we say, “Cố lên!” :blush:

1 Like

When we translate it here in Greek we use the word “Δυνατά”-“Dinata” or “Δύναμη”-Dinami"-" literally meaning have strength because we feel it is very close with the korean meaning that way.
In real life though we usually use these:
“Μπορείς να το κάνεις” -“Mporis na to kanis” You can do it!
“Προσπάθησε”- “Prospathise”: Try it!
“Μην το βάζεις κάτω”- “Min to bazeis kato” Don’t give up!
“Κουράγιο”-“Kouragio” Have courage!
If I remember more I will add them.

2 Likes

oh! I remembered a old one.
건투 빌다! Means good luck!

Well done!
I was translating “Fighting!” in my mind and that would be really weird to use :sweat_smile: so yeah, you’re list is pretty good :wink:

In french we say " Courage " i think like in Korean it’s for give some courage to someone. Or encourage yourself. It’s like " you can do it ! Go ! "

7 Likes

The Korean expression ‘‘fighting’’ in Portuguese is something like: ‘‘Força!’’ or ‘‘Você consegue!’’
and that word in a brazilian slang is ‘‘Manda ver’’ is an incentive which means that the person will be able to do that. :smiley:

In Japanese, it’s がんばれ!(Ganbare!)

4 Likes

In French:

“COURAGE” or “FONCE”

1 Like

και με τη νικη

1 Like

It’s late but thank you^^

In Italian you can say:
Forza!
Coraggio!
Dai! (Daje in romanesco)
Vai!

3 Likes

In hungarian we usually say:
“Hajrá!” (=spurt)
“Gyerünk!” (=go, come on)
“Mindent bele!” (=give it your all)

It’s also right translation, but we don’t commonly use it:
“Küzdj!” (=fight)

There are also a lot of sleng phrases you can use amongst friends like for eg. “Toljad neki!” (=push it).

1 Like