How do you schedule your time for Viki activities?

Honestly, my work sometimes goes slow because I have to supervise other people so I can come here during the day sometimes.
There are other days when everyone needs me hahaha and I can’t even breathe!
And now for example I’m on vacations from my studies so I have more time.

Yes, it’s kind of give time to everything you like and enjoy.

5 Likes

During working days I check Viki and Discussions about 10-15 minutes after I get home from work (usually around 4-5 ish). I’ll be munching on walnuts or fruit yoghurt while checking what you lovely people wrote here.

Atm my team translates at least 4 episodes per week, which we regularly publish on Facebook Wednesdays and Fridays. So, we are on a little bit of a schedule there, which usually helps us keep things going. Unfortunately, both of our current projects are long (60 and 68 episodes), so it became a bit monotonous. The end is near, though (in a non-threatening, non-end-of-the-world way). :smirk:

Anyway, Friday and the weekend are my time to watch stuff and to get a head start on projects we haven’t started “publishing” yet. Occasionally I would also translate an OST of a drama we are translating, or a K-pop song.

Oh, and I’m bound to my Mac with an umbilical cord :sunglasses:

6 Likes

LOL, I didn’t know such thing existed, does Apple charge more for this feature :rofl:
So you have a pretty regular “working schedule” here. What’s the FB page called, that’s interesting you post updates there, which means you must have a broad viewership; if Viki only knew how you support them, besides on their web! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :star_struck:

6 Likes

Our team is called Azijska svaštara (Asian Scrapbook) and you can find us under that name on FB :blush:

The page also comes in handy when there’s something technically wrong on Viki. People come to us to complain, and then we complain to Viki in their name, since they don’t speak enough English to write a complaint or know where to file it.

So far they haven’t. Don’t give them any ideas :smirk:

6 Likes

That’s really cool that your language team takes care of your viewers, it must be also time consuming; that’s like a white glove service and certainly much appreciated! :bouquet: :pray:

7 Likes

IT IS VIKIANS. VIKIANS. :joy: But we’re not totally crazy over that name so anything works LOL

3 Likes

My way of working differs from day to day. I don’t have any scheduled times that I work on Viki. It’s mostly when I have energy bursts and then I can subtitle up to 2 parts of an episode. Other times I set a timer and see what I can do in 20 minutes. Sometimes I start and then quickly don’t feel like subbing anymore, so then I’ll decide to just subtitle 2 or 3 scenes and after that I quit for the day. There are days that I subtitle 2 or 3 different times and there are days I don’t subtitle at all.
I almost always watch shows on my laptop, I don’t really like the app and I never use it to work on Viki. I only watch shows through the app in case of emergency. Like if there is a power outage or if I’m in a train and want to watch a show.

5 Likes

That’s very funny :sweat_smile: It happens at times to me in particular with historical dramas where either the sentence stretches over 3 to 4 segments and because of for example German grammar the structure needs to change, it’s a bit time confusing and frustrating. So I skip these and just sub the easy sentences and go back to the difficult ones afterwards.

I remember a teacher at school told us when doing tests if you get stuck at a difficult question just skip and go to the next or the ones you can solve and do the difficult one at the end. Because being stuck and not being able to move forward is discouraging and frustrating and could block your mind.

That’s a very good idea and I should try this out!! Anyone else works with a timer???

5 Likes

Right, with historical dramas or dramas that require specific knowledge I often get carried away with my ‘research’ on Wikipedia and only after I read a dozen articles which have nothing to do with the term I was looking for, I remember that I was subbing a scene :joy:

6 Likes

Yes, yes, it happens all the time to me as well. But that knowledge surely comes handy later on. It always does, so it’s not wasted time.

3 Likes

I’m a lazy full-time student at the end of her 2nd year and I work 20 hours a week to save up some money for my - now - delayed year in Japan. Usually I come up with lists to keep the overview and check a few times if there were new episodes released I have to check before releasing them to the subtitlers. Aside from this, I play an MMORPG and sometimes watch dramas or read book/novels. Currently, there’s not much time though because of scheduled tests, exams and presentations towards the end of the semester. :no_mouth:

I often do the obvious stuff first as well before coming back to the segments where I have to look up things etc. for. Anyway, I rarely spend all my day subbing. Usually I don’t do more than 1-2 parts unless there is a bunch of urgent deadlines popping up from somewhere. However, this mostly happens towards the weekends anyway.

5 Likes

I have three adult kids and my time revolves around them because I know that they will soon be busy with their own career and family. That’s why during the months when they are home from college, I try to reduce my volunteer hours at Viki.

When I am working on projects, I usually try to bring whatever part I start working on to 100%. I am not fast at typing and I get interrupted a lot by my kids so sometimes I feel like I am in the way of the faster subbers, but I can honestly say that I provide quality work. Sometimes, I find myself waiting for the faster subbers to translate and just fill in the empty segments. I actually enjoy the more challenging translations and I spend a lot of time researching.

Now that the Covid restrictions are slowly being lifted, I will probably spend more time going out with friends and possibly go back to volunteering at the local hospital but I will always enjoy reading and responding to posts on Viki Discussions.:blush:

6 Likes

Not in that sense. But… If a drama is not so interesting (or just in that awkward slow middle section), I sometimes time myself translating each part. It can’t take more than 45 min, and the aim is 30 min per part. It really helps me speed things up since I usually get easily distracted with other things.

3 Likes

@oriya
You made me laugh so much. Thanks.

I believe that if we like what we are doing the time is irrelevant and flies by us, but if we avoid what we are doing by delaying starting the subbing, segging for example, is because we are not happy with the project we’re working on. We have to try to pick subbing/segging projects that motivates us, not drag us in to misery.

I have a method of subbing that for some reason works for me I sub the first 5 segments and go straight to the end and start subbing from bottom up. When I feel like stopping, I go to the middle and it keeps me for some reason working until I’m done.

PS. Of course, this method would only work on modern dramas not on historical dramas (C,K,J ) etc…like @simi11 explained below (I avoid historical dramas so I forget not to generalized my comments).

3 Likes

I think that might not always work in particular with historical dramas when there is a long sentence that is split in 3 or 4 segments like we see in the Chinese dramas. If it’s just like “Yes, Sir.” that will work. As I mentioned above I skip long or complicated sentence that need a good rework of grammar structure from the English also trying not to make a sentence too long since it becomes difficult to read or viewers have to stop the video in order to finish reading.

This is the reason I made this topic since being on Viki time flies by us, but our daily lives have also other responsibilities and when not having any time in check it could become stressful. Therefore, it’s interesting to read how other Vikians juggle their time… and as @bozoli mentioned to set a time might even be a good idea.

As for some folks time management might come easy when they have a more structured daily tasks for example going to work going to school or alike, I for example don’t go to work, yet I have tons of responsibilities and some aren’t fun like on Viki… what I mean is that one can easily forget the time spent on Viki website (whether it is subbing or in this forum or other communication on KKT within our German group) and that means also time loss for the rest that needs to be done as well, things or chores one doesn’t always like to do.

3 Likes

My life is pretty simple. Besides work, I don’t have any other activities. Just occasional outings. Therefore, almost all my free time is redirected to Viki. That means Monday to Friday from 6pm to around 10-11pm, and on weekends from morning to night. :joy::joy::joy: I mostly use the computer. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

A kin spirit :grin:

4 Likes

That’s also my story :joy: and I’m sticking to it! :sparkles::wink::+1:t5:

6 Likes

Mostly weekend… Busy at work during weekdays… But then if I am not exhausted after work, i do subtitle before I sleep and watching kdrama to relax myself…

4 Likes

Are we here too often?

This topic
And
See here

1 Like