How dramas are available on viki?

Why are some new dramas not available on viki, but available at dramafever? For example, Scarlet Heart:Ryeo. I think viki also does not have Cinderellas Sister or Cinderella and the Four Knights.

The site-that-must-not-be-named got the dibs on licenses for those, i guess viki spent all their budget on W or something since it’s such a big hit

1 Like

The other site is really competitive with certain dramas. They use it to promote their premium service, just like Viki promotes their Viki pass. With Scarlet Heart, it feels like they got that one and Viki got Moonlight Drawn by the Clouds. Moonlight is a ratings hit right now so they may have picked the best of the two.

4 Likes

Like I think W and Uncontrollably fond were two pretty big ones, and we got the better of the 2. UF seems to be a ratings flop in korea

2 Likes

Cinderella’s Sister was on Viki before but the license must have been expired.

1 Like

i watched it on viki and loved it. i hope we can get it back

Because you need to buy a licence to be allowed to have a show on your website. You choose which dramas are interesting and you ask the TV channels to sell you the licence. Other websites do the same thing. Some shows are on all sites but some others are sold exclusively to one site but not to another. Then I suppose it’s a question of who is willing to pay more or something like that.
That’s why some shows will be both on viki and on DF and company, some will be on either the one or the other.
I hope this answered your question.
For me, I’m grateful for viki’s existence, because I live in Europe, and everything on Dramafever has the dreaded message “not allowed in your region”

2 Likes

There are other competition in the cyberspace, and I’m not referring to the ‘illegal ones’. I find this(below) - available in parts of Asia - to be an uncannily similar biz presence, from biz model(online and mobile) to premium offering to logo design. Except for the ‘community subbing initiative’ which is unique to Viki. Don’t you?

I can’t help but to notice that Viu app looks like Viki, but sidewards. lol.

Anyhow, I expect almost all new dramas are going to be exclusively shown in either Viki or the other provider for the first 6 or so months. Although some dramas are shown on both platforms, but restricted to the USA. (Like Uncontrollably fond, where it is available on both, but US Viki users can’t watch it)

1 Like

so all of these sites are just competing for that license??
interesting!

sorry, forgot to put this on my last message, hey, all of you thank you for clearing that up for me!

1 Like

Some of the shows, as I wrote before, are aired on all sites. For some of them, though, one site can buy an “exclusive” licence. This, I suppose, must be much more expensive, because all viewers will go to that particular site. “W” was a viki exclusive, as is “The Legend of the Blue Sea”.

1 Like

thanks for the update

I stumbled upon this link while looking for Goblin which is not licensed in Americas. This blog is from 2012 I guess it’s always been like that, except last or this year that also QC has been limited to the licensing… meaning for example Goblin case the Kor-Eng subbers could be limited if they are in the Americas continent. Enjoy reading:
https://blog.viki.com/faq-how-does-viki-license-content-52883673ce08#.vl828a6cm

1 Like