How have K-dramas changed your perception of American television?

Yes, I don’t even watch those scenes, I turn away. That is private business and I am not a voyeur.

2 Likes

I’ve never been fond of explicit sex scenes. In fact, they’re a deal breaker for me. I end up watching some eye catching plot, but then the senseless scenes do not appeal to me. If I was interested in the story I always skipped those. In other occasions I just tended to drop it.
I liked watching some American TV series, though now I don’t . I had a nice experience watching movies and series from India before setting on Korean productions.
American shows can be realistic, and natural…they don’t abuse of flashbacks and the like… But for me Kdramas have a nice build up in rom com. It’s pretty normal to watch in American series or movies kissing scenes and such, but in Korean series to get to such a scene the character has to work for it. It was a nice change. I still have a different POV on culture as any foreigner does in different topics.

5 Likes

I am not a fan of the American “romance” genre. I can’t relate to American customs involving relationships and how they show this on television. I like American horror, mystery, crime, sci-fi and fantasy genres though.

After watching K-dramas (& other Asian dramas) for a long time, I have high expectations for romance tropes. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

@noukina_v018_895

@noukina_v018_895
I’ve never been fond of explicit sex scenes.If I was interested in the story I always skipped those.

Yes, that’s exactly what my 31 yr.old daughter and I always do; we skip the sex scenes since we always feel there are no need for them in the story that is so interesting, but we won’t Stop watching the series/movie just bc of the sex scenes, when all we have to do is skip them with the fast forward button.

People tend to glorify Asian dramas and especially the Korean ones, but in my opinion they are not all that perfect, and as much praise as they get, they also deserve criticism. For example, these Prosecutors in an office attacking and kicking the leg of the Rookie lawyers for a simple mistake they made. You don’t know how much those scenes disgust me and I have to skip before I get tempted to drop an otherwise good drama. Lately there is a lot of dramas that the Asian women are belittled, humiliated, mentally and even physically abused. They are also going back to the mother in law abusing the daughter in law. I hate those the most since the abused DIL never fight back the MIL, but take the abuse (no good role model dramas).

I still watch my American Series/movies and Asian dramas, and just skip those annoying scenes, I don’t care to watch because if I don’t do that and skip them, I won’t have anything to watch. :rofl::rofl::rofl: