I am a Ninja!

@tammychecketts_61, Congratulations!

@mirjam_465, I was thinking about signing up for the Ninja Academy. Is there a long waitlist? And, is there anything I need to do before signing up?

5 Likes

There is a very long waiting list. I think it’s 3 to 6 months, depending on the time of year or so.
You don’t need to do anything before signing up, just fill in the application form. And while on the waiting list you can play in the Sandbox.

6 Likes

3 to 6 months? Yikes!

3 Likes

Yea. I signed up May 1, 2020 Didn’t get first lesson until September and am now waiting for my results from level 3. Then I have level 4 and level 5 and some tests before graduating. What takes the most time is waiting for an opening for each level.

It would interesting to know how many sign up versus how many graduate.

6 Likes

I’m also on the waitlist since October…I think the long wait is good in a way though…someone who’s willing to wait it all out can properly think about what they’re getting into and commit to it

4 Likes

Yup, we get a lot of students on the waitlist and the team isn’t that big and we only have a limited amount of material to work with, so I have to wait for someone to finish before I can use that video for someone else.

If you have patience, feel free to enroll :smile:

4 Likes

How many students do you take in in a month?
I’m afraid that because of the corona, there are much more people on the waitlist and I will get accepted next year honestly. :smiley:

3 Likes

Sorry to butt in, but for this sort of general info I think there is a dedicated thread.

2 Likes

It really depends, so I can’t answer your question :slight_smile:

As Irmar has said, there are probably other threads that have more information on the NSSA.

1 Like

I finally signed up for the Ninja Academy. There are over 4000 volunteers ahead of me so I don’t even have a waitlist number, lol.

8 Likes

Congratulations!

It takes a long time because the training crew are volunteers who train in their spare time and the list is LONG!

I signed up May 2020. In September, I got my first level 1 training. It is now March 2021. I am waiting for level 5 training. Once I pass that level then I have to pass the test and I can get to work. So maybe by April I can start/finish level 5?

There are 5 levels.

1: Learn how to segment English.
2: Learn how to Segment Spanish language
3: Learn how to Segment Chinese language
4: Learn how to Segment Korean language
5: Learn how to Segment Japanese language

In the meantime, you can read up and practice! :sunglasses:

While waiting for your training, you can practice in the sand box!
https://subber.viki.com/sandbox

5 Likes

@porkypine90_261, You are almost there! Thank you for all the info and the link to the sandbox! I was actually trying to find out about the sandbox.

2 Likes

You can play in that all you want! It doesn’t save.

One thing that will really help you when segging Korean shows is that you speak Korean so you’ll automatically know where the sentence breaks are. It can be kind of difficult when you don’t speak a language to just listen to pauses because often people don’t pause at the end of sentences, they just run on to the next sentence.

3 Likes

I played in the sand box just for a bit now and I can see how it definitely is to your advantage to know the language. One question I have is that the five levels seem to deal with different languages but do they offer different levels of difficulty as well?

3 Likes

Not really. Learning to segment is a combo tech/language issue.

The English Spanish and Korean language levels were easy for me because I speak enough of those three languages to know where the sentences are. The problem is to get that voice start just right.

Mandarin was more difficult for me to segment because I only know a couple of Mandarin words. There are a lot of mid-sentence pauses and for some of the speakers, when the sentence ends they just keep on going into the next sentence without much variation in intonation.

NSSA training exposes us to 5 languages so we can learn how to recognize sentence patterns and then how to chop up the video into sentence long sequences and get the timing correct.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for all the information!

1 Like

This was an interesting thread as I never did Spanish on any level only Chinese and Korean. When did they change the list languages? :slight_smile:My goal as a new “ninja” is to read all threads here regarding segging (and try not to comment everything :wink:). I

3 Likes

When they stopped having Spanish-language dramas, I suppose?

2 Likes

Gratz!!! :heart::orange_heart:

2 Likes

Interesting didn’t know that there had been things here with Spanish. :slightly_smiling_face: