I am a Ninja!

I finally signed up for the Ninja Academy. There are over 4000 volunteers ahead of me so I don’t even have a waitlist number, lol.

8 Likes

Congratulations!

It takes a long time because the training crew are volunteers who train in their spare time and the list is LONG!

I signed up May 2020. In September, I got my first level 1 training. It is now March 2021. I am waiting for level 5 training. Once I pass that level then I have to pass the test and I can get to work. So maybe by April I can start/finish level 5?

There are 5 levels.

1: Learn how to segment English.
2: Learn how to Segment Spanish language
3: Learn how to Segment Chinese language
4: Learn how to Segment Korean language
5: Learn how to Segment Japanese language

In the meantime, you can read up and practice! :sunglasses:

While waiting for your training, you can practice in the sand box!
https://subber.viki.com/sandbox

5 Likes

@porkypine90_261, You are almost there! Thank you for all the info and the link to the sandbox! I was actually trying to find out about the sandbox.

2 Likes

You can play in that all you want! It doesn’t save.

One thing that will really help you when segging Korean shows is that you speak Korean so you’ll automatically know where the sentence breaks are. It can be kind of difficult when you don’t speak a language to just listen to pauses because often people don’t pause at the end of sentences, they just run on to the next sentence.

3 Likes

I played in the sand box just for a bit now and I can see how it definitely is to your advantage to know the language. One question I have is that the five levels seem to deal with different languages but do they offer different levels of difficulty as well?

3 Likes

Not really. Learning to segment is a combo tech/language issue.

The English Spanish and Korean language levels were easy for me because I speak enough of those three languages to know where the sentences are. The problem is to get that voice start just right.

Mandarin was more difficult for me to segment because I only know a couple of Mandarin words. There are a lot of mid-sentence pauses and for some of the speakers, when the sentence ends they just keep on going into the next sentence without much variation in intonation.

NSSA training exposes us to 5 languages so we can learn how to recognize sentence patterns and then how to chop up the video into sentence long sequences and get the timing correct.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for all the information!

1 Like

This was an interesting thread as I never did Spanish on any level only Chinese and Korean. When did they change the list languages? :slight_smile:My goal as a new “ninja” is to read all threads here regarding segging (and try not to comment everything :wink:). I

3 Likes

When they stopped having Spanish-language dramas, I suppose?

2 Likes

Gratz!!! :heart::orange_heart:

2 Likes

Interesting didn’t know that there had been things here with Spanish. :slightly_smiling_face:

Spanish, Hindi, even English. Also old Hollywood movies (The Last Time I saw Paris, Great Expectations, some much much older from the 20s and 30s) TV shows (I Love Lucy) and vintage cartoons… These were super-useful for newbies without Vikipass to caption and reach our 3000.
All this is long gone, though, as Viki specialized in only East Asian content.
As for segment training, we started from English, then Spanish, Japanese, Chinese and finally Korean.

1 Like

Now that i think about it there where a few old English serie that I had to look at when i started (befor i started cutting segements). :slight_smile:

So before, Viki had shows of other countries and no only Asian :hushed:

1 Like

This is an old comment from when I was still in training. There are no Spanish shows on Viki to segment at this time so the training is usually Korean or Mandarin.

2 Likes

I think it’s interesting to read everything about segmenting, and I really hope that I will have the guts to apply to a project as a segmenter (at the moment I just try to read everything) and not only as a subtitler. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

me too, me too :smiley:
since graduading I didn´t apply somewhere

1 Like

sof1953
So before, Viki had shows of other countries and no only Asia

Viki was a real dream back around 2013 when I first started here. The variety of dramas was vast, and they were also a great variety of dramas to watch, like the ones from Spain that their theme was about Angels and Demons, and the ones from Colombia/Venezuela about the Narcs/beautiful girls, and although some here might not like those themes, the main thing was the great variety of dramas we had to choose from to be watching here.

I also loved the Hindi/Tamil ones that were available here. From Asia the variety was immense too. We had Dramas/Movies from Thailand, Philippines, Taiwan (love them!) Those were the days viki was ‘’#1 in my book.‘’ Oddly enough, although Rakuten is Japan owned and they took over many years ago even back then (imo) their was very few Japanese dramas/movies offered here, but the few I watched here were great to watch (for me personally it was). Not talking about anyone else but myself.

I don’t know how, why or exactly when the variety of dramas from different countries stopped so drastically in here, but all I know we still are not even halfway to what @viki was in the past when I first discovered it by pure chance.

I hope the new changes doesn’t affect this site more than what we have in our plate right now to deal with since Companies are merging, and many changes are coming our way unless of course Rakuten company has also joined in to be part of the new coming changes (which wouldn’t surprise me). It would be a smart move in the long run since the take over involves the #1 favorite world wide which are the South Korea dramas/Movies/shows etc etc.

1 Like

I didn’t need to apply after I wrote this I was asked if I where interested. I really like this community everyone really wants to help others become better. :heart:

5 Likes

Ah, blessed innocence!
May your road be always strewn with flowers, my friend.