I need the Korean-English translation of a sign [SOLVED, THANKS!]

Ah, so you’ve watched it! Are you a fellow lover of Drama Specials?

1 Like

Actually, I think I watched this drama long ago, too. I am not sure about the KBS subtitles, but this is what I think. Fictional place names like Neverland and South Park usually are not translated to whatever names of equivalent meanings in the target language. So, for example, if these two places are translated into Korean, it would be 네버랜드 and 사우스 파크, not 절대로 땅 or 남쪽 공원 or some such nonsense. Now, most native Koreans (who grew up in that language with its Sino-Korean and other related language heritages) can guess just from “Gamchon” that it probably means persimmon village in Chinese characters. So they would be like if the village is named Gamchon, then where are persimmon trees? It’s the same for English speakers. Using the above two examples, an English speaker would get the connotations of Neverland and South Park without someone explaining what never means and south means, etc. But for a non-English speaker with no knowledge of even these basic English words, don’t you think it is better that 네버랜드 just stays the proper name of that fantasy place where Peter Pan lives, rather than 절대로 땅? If he/she sees it translated as 절대로 땅 and keeps calling it that, most people will not understand that this person is talking about Peter Pan’s Neverland without further explanations.

2 Likes

I understand what you mean, but since no international viewer is going to Korea to search for that particular village in the drama special nor mention it to Koreans, it’s better for the viewers not to scratch their heads when they read on the next subtitle “So where are the persimmon trees, I don’t see any?” (or something like that, I’m quoting from memory here).
Moreover, it’s not an existing village anyway. For a real village, or one existing in famous literature or pop culture or any other well-known name, of course I’d keep it as it is without translating the meaning.

There is always more than one way of translating a word, expression, phrase etc. Usually it is the translator doing the actual translating, being aware of the context, what came before and what comes after, etc. who knows the best. I admire your dedication to translate this one sign in the most suitable way. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As a side note persimmon represents transformation in the Buddhist teachings. Not sure if that’s significant. There is also something about how if a persimmon is grown by seed the fruits are less good so it is normally grafted onto another tree. Kind of like it needs the support of the other tree to be stronger.

2 Likes

@me_97

Wow that’s so beautiful. Thanks for sharing. It’s very significant. If you have time, I suggest you watch the drama is very sweet and although sad, is a very beautiful story.

They do for Mandarin Chinese!!!

hi! you want to have a English - polish translater ?