I need the Korean-English translation of a sign [SOLVED, THANKS!]

Here. Unexpected-Life Drama Special n.6, “Like a Miracle”. At 9:05 there is a sign. It’s a wellness village where cancer survivors live, work and play.
So how is it in English? Thank you in advance!

@ajumma2, @sophie2you

1 Like

Hi there! Try using Papago Translate. It can be used on the website or the app. :slight_smile:

It’s a sign, the name of a fictional place. It won’t be in any dictionary. Maybe the last part only?

What you have on the first part?
I got this: POACEAE

Was the first part: Life is better at…?
about plants in the family Poaceae known as grasses.

With a combination of the definition you might get the name of the place unless they used something like Poaceace at the end. What you think?

마을: village, town
회관 (會館: 會 meet 館 shop/building/place…): meeting hall, assembly hall
마을회관: village hall, village assembly hall, community hall, village community center, town center
http://endic.naver.com/search.nhn?sLn=kr&isOnlyViewEE=N&query=마을회관
i guess anyone can look it up on the dictionary so what we really want to know is 감촌

a search for 감촌 shows “kamchon soft tofu stew” (apparently a restaurant name) and “gamchon culture village”, which seems like it should be spelled 감천 gamcheon instead

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamcheon_Culture_Village

i’m not of any help here…

edit: oh but i think 촌 can also mean 村 village/countryside. maybe 감 can also have a corresponding hanja. otherwise 감촌 is just a name that can’t be translated further or has a pure Korean meaning that the dictionary doesn’t show me.

2 Likes

To me it meant a minut short for

safe haven
a place of refuge or security.
temporary refuge given to a persecuted person or group.

Kamchon Hall or Village Center

2 Likes

Thanks to all. As I said, it is a fictional place and yes, it is supposed to be a haven, called “a hospice village for people waiting to die” (you hear the word hospice in English).
The village in itself is called “Persimmon village” because there are a lot of persimmon trees in the vicinity.
감 (gam) means persimmon (as well as feeling)
촌 = 1 村 단어장추가 (시골) the country, the countryside, rural area
So Gamchon is “Persimmon village” and then we have
마을: village, town
회관 meeting hall, assembly hall, community center

I don’t know why village would be twice on the sign. Looking at the video I also saw that when the heroin was about to enter the village grounds there was a much smaller sign saying
감촌 마을
So they do have village-village.

A translation would be
“Persimmon Village Community Center”.
The problem is that sign is the entrance to the village itself, not to any particular place. Before that there was a rural path and after that you see houses, streets and, among other things, a community hall.
Maybe I’ll just put Persimmon Village and not nitpick so much about it.

1 Like

apparently persimmon is 감!
so there we have it, 감촌 is persimmon (감/杮? or pure Korean?) village (촌/村)

edit to your edit:

there are a lot of hanjas & meanings associated with 감, that was why i wasn’t sure in my other post

2 Likes

@irmar
I remember that story and how sad it was, and to me the place was a safe haven for all those dying and rejected by family and society in general.

If the word village is there twice it would baffle me too. But when I did my search it came out as minut that I know also means safe haven.

No wonder you have dramas here with 3 different tiles hahahaha

1 Like

This makes me depressed. Suppose I grit my teeth and spend about six years more and manage to learn good Korean. It will be just passable if I also don’t know some hanja characters!

2 Likes

That’s the reason I gave it up on learning Korean, Chinese or Japanese. Thousands of characters to learn and most mean 3 four different things. Too much for me. Not at my age, when I was young I know I could conquer it, but not now. LOL

1 Like

it has been compared with knowing Greek and Latin roots in order to learn English. i never did that before learning English so i can’t compare.

this discussion explains it well https://www.reddit.com/r/Korean/comments/5nv3li/why_is_hanja_important/

Happy new year :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Happy New Year may it bring you all your heart’s desires.

Thanks for the link.

PS. I went to the link and was surprised to read several opinions were one doesn’t have to memorize all those thousands of characters/letters (which is a relief to me).

For my uncles, aunts when teaching them English I used a method that was easier for them. They were too old to learn writing and their education level was primary level school. What I did was write in Spanish the way the words in the alphabet sounds and make them memorized them. After they memorized the alphabet I showed them the picture and told them to write in spanish what it was. They at least can communicate now in English, and I get a break from going everywhere with them to translate for them.

This is an example

:joy: in spanish you write like this yói (joy)
:smile_cat: kát (cat)
:evergreen_tree: trí (tree)
:racehorse: jórs (horse)
:chicken: chíquén (chicken)

I use the same method for Hebrew, Korean and Japanese

In Korean: I do this: Gracias (Thank you) Gúmawo (pronounce as this) gomawo (correct writing)
In Japanese: I do this Gracias (Thank you) Árígato (pronounce as this) Arigatō (correct writing)

In Hebrew I only learned 2 prayers bc it was what I wanted to learn, how to pray in hebrew. So far I Know Our Father in Hebrew (is too long to write here) and a blessing. ''BARUCH ATAH HASHEM ELOKEINU MELECH HA OLAM. BLESSED ARE YOU LORD OUR G-D KING OF THE UNIVERSE.

If anyone here has other shortcuts, can you share them here too?

Thank you.

Well, maybe when I will have already learned Korean passably, then it won’t feel as daunting. Who knows. Let’s wait and see.

Gamchon Community Center or Gamchon Village Hall works. You should not translate Gamchon as Persimmon Village because it is a proper noun. It is like calling Beijing “Northern Capital” or Tokyo “Eastern Capital” or Busan “Rich Mountain”. People will have no idea where you are talking about.

1 Like

But you see, in the drama, the character says “Oh, but where are the persimmon trees? Ah, here they are” or something like that. The persimmons are specifically mentioned.
And I am pretty sure it’s a fictional place. In the story it is a village made by a few people who are terminal patients, where they have a healthy and positive lifestyle waiting joyfully for death.
Plus the initial subtitles, lacking as they are, are the ones provided by KBS. I had to edit them to make them viki-friendly, but they were the official ones you also find on youtube. They had Persimmon Village as the name of the place. (Of course they don’t bother translating signs!)

Persimmon is a fruit very popular in Korea and the ‘‘Village’’ was full of them and the sick and dying people ate from them and loved the trees too, and took very good care of them. I don’t see how that could mean anything that would confuse anyone and mean something else like you explained here.

ps.unless of course persimmon has another definition in Korean and is not of course Gamchon or Gamcheon? (my spell check is writing Gamcheon)

It’s good to understand other languages and your point here made me so curious to know more. Can you please be more specific? Using Persimmon would make people confused in what way?

on the other hand it might be interesting facts to some people that Beijing means “Northern Capital” and Tokyo “Eastern Capital”, and that “jing” and “kyo” are pretty much the same word pronounced differently.

i suppose people don’t translate “Los Angeles” and “Newfoundland” into their language but it’s still interesting to know the meaning and story of the name. (actually, Newfoundland is translated into Terre-Neuve in French)

2 Likes

I get it now… :wink:

1 Like