I'm sorry but Timed Comments need to go!

Sorry to revive this topic, but I just wanted to vent a little :sweat_smile:
I’m a mod for a Chinese drama now, and I’m watching the episodes with timed comments on.
So many comments ask for subs, so I took it upon myself to start deleting them.
I delete the ones in other languages I speak too. But there are sooo many. I’m on an episode now that has at least 160 comments in English asking for subs, and triple that in Portugese.
Why do people feel the need to post this request throughout the entire episode, when obviously other people have asked as well?

Respect to all of you who do this regularly.

5 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

@rayshine Thank goodness we can do a search in the timed comments. Too bad we can’t do a replace automatically. When English is subbed rapidly, then the volume of whining for subs in other languages seems to increase. I got so peeved on one series which had about 100 requests on timed comments for subs on a series within the first several hours after uploading. I had personally done about 1/4 to 1/5 of the subtitles from Korean to English. I posted in the comments on the cover page that on each upload day I was going to look at the timed comments and count the subbing demands (including the ones which gratuitously throw in a please as though that somehow makes the comment okay) and then take a break for that many minutes before I started to sub the latest episode. Several commenters took umbrage at this “threat” to withhold my contributions and said they reported me to viki staff! Two of them even posted my avatar on comments at soompi and said I was “the worst” and that channels with which I am associated were the slowest to be subbed! It was rather amusing as in a few instances my team has subbed a new episode in a little more than 2.5 hours when five very competent subbers were available early in the day at the same time. On another series we subbed 16 hours of episodes into English in exactly 7 days and did 4 edits on each episode. Spanish and Portuguese were a day beyond us.
The viewers should read the community guideline on comments which states " As a friendly reminder, all subtitles for all languages are done by our passionate volunteer community! If subtitles for a video don’t appear or are incomplete, the community has not finished with the subtitling yet"
Perhaps the community guidelines should be something they must positively “accept” before becoming a member. We’ve all experienced sites where you actually have to scroll through the terms and conditions before you can click on “accept”.

10 Likes

That is absolutely horrible! :fearful:

That’s actually a terrific idea!

1 Like

I think people will skip those, same as they skip Terms of Use.

Community guidelines should be more available and ubiquitous. They should pop up often or even every time you write a comment or a review. And maybe you should get them as a pop up every month where you have to press ok. Just to get the idea that they are serious business, not just a bother you can forget.

1 Like

Ha ha, you’re right. Only if there was a quiz afterwards they would be compelled to actually read them!

2 Likes

Great Idea, Indeed! Perhaps also, Viki could add a full screen hovering pop-up that briefly states the outline of the subtitle process & posting guidelines, a reminder of sorts, before one can post anything each day?!

Actually, with the technology of today, it seems to me that an algorithm (or whatever it’s called these days) could be created that disallows the most often used keywords that sub-whiners overuse?! When a specified keyword is typed in, the comment could immediately go into a holding port to be approved or disapproved before posting. Something along these lines would be great. It’s unbelievable how vast the sub-whiner realm is, and it hurts my heart imagining how our volunteers feel every day up against the complainers.

In my opinion, this is one of the major improvements Viki needs to acknowledge and achieve: Protecting the amazing Viki volunteers from the seemingly endless onslaughts from sub-whiners and other complainers. I’ll continue to dream big.

2 Likes

@rayshine

I was hoping they eliminate time comments from this site bc it no longer serves a purpose. Back in the days it was so much fun to write in time comments bc some/most of them were so funny and you could have a good laugh. I think that when something becomes a nuisance is time to remove it bc is no longer worth having it there.

The worse part is that in the new video player format; the time comments distracts so much my ‘‘eyes’’ (bc is almost in the middle of the screen) that from the get go I close that function, and no longer bother with that. All you read in there like you stated constant requests for subs, and some nasty dirty stuff in some dramas that I wonder why THAT hasn’t been deleted.

No, I will not report them either bc I know plenty other ppl saw it too, and if they didn’t report it back when they wrote it in the first place, that means the moderator or person in charge of deleting it; likes it there.

It’s sad though. Some dramas really have good and funny timed comments. It sucks that they get drowned out by all the sub whining, people starting fights and spamming of snapchats and IG accounts :cry:

1 Like

I just ignore the stupid comments, some comments are interesting and I have to pause to read them again… I would certainly missed TD :star_struck: this is another Viki’s signature (although some just abuse it)!

2 Likes

Yes, some people think they’re incredibly funny :roll_eyes: If the community had the like/dislike option for timed comments, they would soon figure out the truth.

2 Likes

funny-comments

This is one of the most heartbreaking scenes, she’s crying because she found out that her father died while saving her boyfriend

2 Likes

Very very occasionally on a tough subtitle, someone has written in an excellent translation on a timed comment. Or one in which we skipped the lines of a Buddhist chant, the commenter identified the sutra, so I was able to locate the Korean (to verify the commenter’s comment) and an English translation of the sutra. But these were the rare pearls among the comments I have seen.

6 Likes

If I was crying with her / felt sad for her, I would’ve definitely started laughing if I read that :rofl:

1 Like

I was enjoying 2 dramas today, and wrote 2 or 3 timed comments and even laughed at a few ones bc they were funny, but at one point had to turn the darn thing off bc they started fighting about subtitles, and another one was using vulgar comments.

I wish they would do this experimental thing and shut off completely the time comments and write a warning that it was turned off because…(name a list of things we don’t want in TC) if they want it back since they say missing something makes ppl want it/love it more I thought this will help them to learn their lesson, and beg the site to have it back. I’m thinking of closing it all together all the time, and not deal with it anymore. Something has to be done to improve it, and moderators are too busy to do so much work bc today more than half of the TC were not worth reading.

About the “where are the subs” whiners in TC, I think I got immune to them, I might see it but don’t take it in… it’s up to the mods to delete them although it’s another chunk of work. BUT I do enjoy TC as I find them entertaining, you don’t like them, just click on the switch off and voila they are gone :wink:

I find it more offensive when I see it in the “Reviews” including low stars, sometimes the show hasn’t even aired and crazy folks complain about subs or even write something like “please add Spanish subs” in Spanish… I question the viewers competency who write such things in reviews. - I feel a CM should have access to remove such idiocy, why isn’t Viki sharing this task with CMs??

6 Likes

I don’t know if someone mentioned this before, but the timed comments in variety shows used to be fun. Now there are commenters who week in, week out comment hateful things about guests or a particular member on the show. It’s really discouraging to watch the show with the timed comments on. It sucks, because there used to be a lot of good and funny comments :cry: Now I get annoyed when I’m watching a show and a nasty TC pops up. I don’t think TC’s need to go, but certain people should be flagged.

If you remember the episode number and perhaps the time of the comment, send it to the CM of the show - they and Moderators have the ability to delete nasty stuff. Do it not just for yourself, but for all others who are going to be watching the show after you.

3 Likes

This time Comments issues going around here is very suspicious, and I feel these are '‘trolls’ with an ulterior motive bc they are completely destroying something that used to be the most enjoyable thing to do (reading this TC while watching the drama). Most of this TC in the past used to be so funny and I truly enjoyed reading them, but now is such an unpleasant thing to do I turn it off as soon as I read the first nasty thing bc i know a vicious cycle of comments would follow. I just wished ppl would control their anger and don’t ‘‘feed’’ this trolls ego by answering back at them since that was their ulterior motive; provoking anger/disgust (some comments are so filthy I get nauseous). Moderators can’t delete them fast enough since is not the work of only one person, but a big group of people full of malicious and sometimes very dirty TC. I resolved to close them as soon as I’m watching the dramas/movies/shows.