In your country do they practice witchcraft? Do you believe it exist/is real?

Lately, I have come around a lot of groups of people that practice witchcraft (santeria). Just yesterday, in my complex, in the basketball court no less, they had some kind of celebration dressed in weird attires that follow that custom of religion. I realized that in the Puertorican culture many follow these rituals (which can be creepy at times) more now than ever. So I’m curious to know if other countries also have what is considered a religion, but can be so scary to watch (for me it was scary). It could be because is the opposite of my Christian religion belief. I’m curious to know if in other countries they also have rituals of wicca, witchcraft and others etc. I can’t shake this worry since the crowd was really huge, and I had never seen that before. Thank you for sharing your opinion on such a ‘‘weird’’ but intriguing subject (at least for me it is).

1 Like
2 Likes

@angelight313_941

It is indeed a intriguing and interesting discussion. I am all in it.

In your country do they practice witchcraft?

Ah, indeed, they do practice witchcraft here in Southeast Asia. The magic, witchcrafts, charms, enchantments and talismans are way too much prevailing here shaping the lives of many a superstitious persons. Here, the realms of magic and witchcraft dance in harmony with our diverse beliefs, weaving an intriguing tale of the unseen and the unknown. Basically, there is pattern here:

Superstitions > Folklore > Astrology > Rituals and Charms > Sorcery > Magic

Here, many a people believe in the mystical lands and also in things unseen and unknown. Many of the stories here are folklores and legends, but they still create a sensation in the hearts of whoever listens to them.

Do you believe it exist/is real?

Ah, the enigmatic realms of magic and witchcraft! While I haven’t personally encountered them in the flesh, the echoes of their existence resound through the fabric of cultures and folklore. The allure lies in the tantalizing dance between the seen and the unseen, where ancient beliefs intertwine with modern mysteries. It’s a thrilling enigma, shrouded in tales of wonder and tinged with a hint of trepidation. Who knows what secrets the unseen holds? The fascination lingers, weaving a spell of curiosity and a touch of spine-tingling excitement.

So, yes, I indeed believe in its existence. After all, there are just too many stories around witchcraft and such, and further, it is too terrifying.

I’ve heard whispers of malevolent spirits like Churels and Bhoots, lurking in the shadows, and the eerie tales of Dayans that have haunted our imaginations for generations. These legends have a way of weaving a sense of wonder and caution, urging us to tread carefully in a world where the supernatural may hold sway.

Though I’ve not witnessed any overtly supernatural occurrences myself, the tales passed down through time have left an indelible mark on our collective psyche. It’s astonishing how beliefs in charms and spells persist, instilling a sense of protection or fear, depending on the intent of the caster.

Yet, let us not forget that the allure of magic and the enigmatic world of witchcraft are not unique to our corner of the globe. Across the expanse of India and Bangladesh, countless stories echo with echoes of ancient tantric practices and the alluring dance of Nagins, the serpent women. These legends have an inexplicable way of uniting cultures through the shared fascination with the unexplained.

In a world teeming with diversity, there is an exquisite beauty in embracing the mysteries and celebrating the multitude of beliefs. Our cultures and histories are like threads interwoven into a grand tapestry of human experience, and the study of magic and witchcraft is a glimpse into the many shades of our existence.

4 Likes

I guess the most famous Dutch witch is Susan Smit, practitioner of Wicca (white magic with no evil intentions).

3 Likes

@leerla73 @weavingadream @mirjam_465

THANK YOU!

Sorry I couldn’t be here before it kept saying a message that they were working on the page to be able to LOG IN. I tried several times and finally today it went through although the message says I can’t log in bc of maintenance issues. I’m glad I tried logging in anyway and ignored that message.

@weavingadream

You have the gift of writing that makes me feel like I’m absorbing every word and getting transported into another world.

Quoting your words of wisdom. Thanks for sharing.

Quote/unquote
''In a world teeming with diversity, there is an exquisite beauty in embracing the mysteries and celebrating the multitude of beliefs. Our cultures and histories are like threads interwoven into a grand tapestry of human experience, and the study of magic and witchcraft is a glimpse into the many shades of our existence.

While in your words I feel the magic of certain beliefs; I instead felt fear when I saw these rituals going on. I am glad you gave me another perspective while observing other’s cultural belief. Maybe if when I was young I had seen these practices I would not feel so scared and confused like I did on that day.

I saw a couple of months ago, an interesting movie about how in India the mother’s consult a person expert in predicting if a girl should marry the guy or not, and the man predicted the groom to be; was an evil person. The daughter is very much in love and oppose her mother’s objection with grave consequences. It was scary to watch, but it had a good ending. I have it in WHAT ARE YOU WATCHING list.

@mirjam_465
I’m gonna look into the links and video now. Will give you feedback after I’m done. Thanks for sharing!

I hope more ppl. share links and others in this subject bc I need to get to know more about it so I can shake off this fear of the ritual I witness in our new and gorgeous basketball court.

3 Likes

@mirjam_465

The video has no English subtitles, but I got a description of the book. if you find a subbed in english this video; share it with us …please… Thanks!

DESCRIPTION

The witch of Limburg

Susan Smith

Limbricht, near Sittard, late seventeenth century. Throughout her life, Entgen Luijten has been used to going her own way, in family matters, in business and in love. She is supported in this by a great knowledge of nature, which she also regularly uses to help her fellow villagers. But then she is accused of witchcraft due to a few unfortunate incidents. The lord of the castle is eager for a confession, for which he uses all the means that the Inquisition puts at his disposal. But what if Entgen holds up against all odds?
The Witch of Limbricht is a fact-based novel about the courage, willfulness and political consciousness of an untamed woman. Her trial in 1674, of which all documents have been preserved, turns out differently than anyone could have predicted.

2 Likes

https://aminoapps.com/c/pagans-witches/page/blog/dutch-book-recommendations-getlit/lXL5_E3wfQuXBvp3ElKRml451wgE7ZGDWRJ

2 Likes

I have a friend that calls her self a herbal witch, she lives in the northern parts of Sweden and I know there are shamans and other things up there (and the Sami people I think the term is called First Nations in English). That said I was raised with the stories of Kalevala and about respecting everything, I had family members who talked to trees I know that might sound strange but it was a form of respecting everything living. We always made more food than needed of anyone would need and never picked every mushroom or berry as there might come someone or an animal needing food. it doesn’t really answer if there is witchcraft but I wanted to give a bigger perspektiv, that there are so much more. In history people talking to trees and believed that strong thinking (energy) could make a difference would be burned as witches in my part of the world…

7 Likes

This drama was including such beliefs although it’s a myth…

2 Likes
3 Likes

That doesn’t shock me since I witness something so incredible. We had horrible storm sandy several years ago, and a tree fell in top of my daughter’s car and completely destroyed it because it was a small car. Our neighbor knocked on our door and told us about the car and when we went to see it, the car had disappeared under the massive tree. We were in shock and devastated but as we get closer we see this young Caucasian guy hugging the tree and sobbing while the firemen were cutting the branches trying to help us find the car. The guy didn’t stopped hugging the tree and consoling it until the firemen removed him for safety reasons. He came out in the newspaper too. It was my daughter’s fault since I warned her the storm was coming not to park under a tree like they were advising in the news. If she had listened she would have never lost her car. I hugged the tree a bit too; don’t ask me why… lol

2 Likes

@boksu065_180
I wanna see it sounds very interesting. Gonna see where they have it and hopefully get to see how it develops. Thanks for sharing this!

@mirjam_465

I had to goggle this to know what it meant. You learn something new every day lol

graduated from a bilingual gymnasium,

Is gymnasium the same as high school?

Gymnasium (school) - Wikipedia

Gymnasium (and variations of the word) is a term in various European languages for a secondary school that prepares students for higher education at a university. It is comparable to the US English term preparatory high school.

2 Likes

It’s the highest level of high school here.
We have several levels of high school. Children go to the level suitable for them, but if you want to get into university, you have to go to VWO (once you are 21+, there are a few other options to get into university, but generally, you get a VWO diploma first).
VWO = voorbereidend wetenschappelijk onderwijs (preparing scientific education), which prepares you for WO (wetenschappelijk onderwijs), i.e. universiteit (university).
There are 2 versions of VWO: atheneum (without classic languages) and gymnasium (with Greek and Latin). Some atheneums do have Latin as an optional course, but not Greek. At gymnasium, Greek and Latin are obligated in the first few years and you have to take at least one of the two in your final exams.
Both forms of VWO last 6 years.

2 Likes

Thanks for the additional information I was so confused since gymnasium to us is
a room or building equipped for gymnastics, games, and other physical exercise.

These are gymnasiums in different parts, but mainly most in Germany.

2 Likes

I get the confusion. We use the word gymnastiek (or shortly: gym) for gymnastic lessons in school and the room used for that is called “gymnastieklokaal” or “gymzaal.”
The building where people go to exercise is called sportschool here.

2 Likes

There’s a thing called vårdträd on some of the old properties (I have an old tree near the house and it’s a maple) that’s there to protect
“Vörðr - Wikipedia” Vörðr - Wikipedia

I’m happy your child didn’t get hurt. :green_heart: In Sweden we have the allemansrätten (gives everyone the right to pick mushrooms and berries on other peoples land) and if I see some trees I know that some mushrooms live in symbiosis with it and if I’m lucky I i can fill my pantry’s (i only pick edible that I have learnt from my mother and grandmother as a child).

2 Likes
2 Likes

Women Used to Dominate the Beer Industry – Until the Witch Accusations Started Pouring In

2 Likes

I love “A mighty girl” it has so much for all ages.

3 Likes

I don’t hear of it much where I live, but I do know or heard of its practiced somewhere in NC, Wicca for one, I have heard of a “covan” here in NC, and there are other witches and such, I haven’t come across any as far as I know, other than a hint or two. but I think they kinda stay to themselves…

3 Likes