In your opinion, what is difficult for a volunteer in a long drama?

That’s really sad :pensive:

I meant it in a funnier way :sweat_smile: Yeah, it’s difficult sometimes, but it’s the job I signed up to do and I usually enjoy it^^ I should really control myself… DON’T BINGE WATCH A DRAMA YOU’RE VOLUNTEERING ON! :joy:

3 Likes

If I like the drama, I can handle the fact to be the only subtitler otherwise it becomes torture :sob:

The problem for Other Languages is that we have to wait for the release of episodes and it can sometimes take several weeks. As a result, I end up losing my whole team because they went on another project where they could subtitle. Some volunteers come back but it’s rare.

6 Likes

Since I have become a subber on Viki, there have only been 2 times that I was a moderator for an on-air drama. I’m the type of person that wants to finish the project and if the show turns out to be bad or if I don’t agree with the message of the show, then finishing it would become a chore instead of fun.

For this reason, I watch shows entirely before even deciding whether I want to work on them. I also write down the names of the director and writer(s) of a show I thought was really good. This way I hope to get ‘lucky’ that their next show will also be good.

6 Likes

That won’t help people who only have one device (desktop or laptop).

2 Likes

ooh, writing down the names of the director and writers sounds like a good idea!

3 Likes

Yes that is a problem too.hope viki updates it’s website too!!

1 Like

In general, I think there are mainly disadvantages. I subbed indeed a few dramas of 40+ episodes - and currently I’m translating one with 55 episodes.

Especially as a Moderator it can be rather frustrating (POV of a OL moderator from a medium-sized translation community):

• You have to worry consistently that the editors lose interest - and you may wait 1-2 weeks per episode to be released for further translation which turns a 45 episodes drama into a 1-year-commitment at least, even if your team is big enough to translate 3 episodes a week
  • You’re depending on the translation releases, and therefore you may have too many projects to be considered if a more interesting project comes around
  • Preparation demands lots of efforts in regard of characters, how to address them, formal speech and so on. I hardly moderate historical stuff myself, but my friend puts in looots of effort
  • The edit takes forever
  • It’s hard to find subtitlers since they rather do a) K- or J-projects b) projects up to 24 episodes c) easy projects

So in the end you translate a difficult, challenging drama of 50+ episodes with 8 people (at least in the German community), commit yourself for a long time and have releases once a week if you’re lucky.
You put in tons of efforts and in the end it’s a hindrance if you want to moderate other projects.

Therefore, from one point of view Viki relies on people doing these historical C-Dramas etc., on the other hand there are tons of disadvantages if you do it. Generally speaking, for me, it is and was a great experience and I learned more while doing it. Sometimes, I’m even happy that I managed to finish a very challenging part with tons of historical quotes and references. Still, the audience is small, and it doesn’t feel as rewarding.
However, I can see why some people only do or moderate short or popular dramas, even if they’re often rather simple in terms of translation. Therefore, I think Viki maybe should find a way to show that they appreciate those who actually dare to go for long and challenging dramas, even if they are not as popular as the most recent K-drama.

5 Likes

I’d never work alone on on air drama. It’s too exhausting. There should be something interesting in a project. I’ve made subtitles alone in two Chinese dramas - Ever Night, because it’s great drama and should be translated into Polish; and Dive, because during pandemic I missed swimming in my local pool.

1 Like