Inappropriate use of vulgar words

I think that one was okay within context.

That friend worked at the security base before.

He used to work in the press team for the Ministry of Strategy and Finance.

All the operations he’s been in, most of them, not most, but all of them were successful. He’s an elite agent.

After a well spent career, he finally ■■■■■■ up.

But why did they not ■■■■ [end] him?

If he has the risk of being eliminated, the word seems appropriate.

1 Like

Watching that portion of episode 1 on Ko Co Wa (KCW), dialogue is very different.

at 9:17 “He used to work at the Ministry of Economy and Finance.” KCW

at 9:17 “That friend worked at the security base before.” Viki

at 9:33 “So he ruined all his great achievements in the end.” KCW

3 Likes

Isn’t that a gasp? Do you have their subs for that line?

2 Likes

Yep. I have a subscription for KCW. I’m working on it and will post in a bit Leerla.

I watched this drama when it was first released and there was no use of the F word. I would be interested to see how KBS World translated that statement at 9:33 but the drama is no longer available on their YT channel.

This program ran at 21:50 KST on Fridays in 2015.

3 Likes

@aznative,
Such a pity.

2 Likes

Certainly is.

My screen capture didn’t save the image, sorry.
Not proficient in using these gadgets.

2 Likes

@aznative ,
Try playing it in desktop site, view/mode if you’re on your phone.

Thanks, but I’m using my laptop.
“Spy” was licensed 9 years ago (I’ve been scrolling through oldest comments on the reviews & comments section to confirm licensing).
So, I’m assuming the subtitles were ‘revised’ when licensing was renewed.

2 Likes

Hmmm, that’s weird. :thinking: Not being able to use desktop view on a laptop.

The picture that pops up in my head, when you say, “. . . ‘revised’ when licensing was renewed.” I have to laugh.
It’s like they couldn’t wait to sink their profane fangs into a script.

1 Like

Some sites have a thing agains using the screen recording (so that the dramas don’t end up at pirate sites).
Sometimes screenshots activate that.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

A PG Movie. Time stamp 9:07

! The Name | Korea | Movie | Watch with English Subtitles & More ✔️
Subs By :sparkling_heart: Unexpected Love :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

It’s not even a PG-13 movie, it is only PG.

2 Likes

Haha! Thanks!

I’ve yet to return to watching Spy, and it’s been a while since I paused this movie as well. Very off putting.

2 Likes

I think it’s terrible the way RViki is degrading this wonderful site by allowing these new recruited subbers to take over dramas, and put curses that they only made up, and obviously must love to use in their daily life. I have noticed so many words is OBVIOUS was never said by the SK actor/actress. As we all know by now some different culture can use profane and dirty words in their movies, but in my opinion they should NEVER be allowed here at this site in any drama or movie (subtitles) UNLESS the WRITER added them in their script which I doubt very much that SK writers will be doing that in the first place.

Another word that makes me cringe is the word; AIN’T. Lately, they use that word a lot in here at Rviki, and they are teaching our young kids and new English language learners, to say an incorrect use of word in a sentence. BESIDES the fact this word is what we call a vulgar street talk mainly used by poorly educated people. Why I say that? Because when we go to school we learn certain words should never be used in our compositions, essays or research projects, and ain’t is definitely one of them.

• ain’t is what is known as a slang contraction.
    So, it’s a contraction that is used in informal conversational (street talk) in English. Let’s not forget that it will definitely get you negative looks from ALL your English teacher; not mentioning a highly and likely F in your assignment (essays, composition research work). I did it many times to my students to teach them a lesson, and I made them do the work all over again so they would never forget a lesson learned in time so it doesn’t affect their future, and also to give them a chance to get a better grade for a work done using the correct words.

I was never expecting perfection from them for we are not perfect. I just wanted them to use common sense, and pick right from wrong bc they learned their lesson. If anything, I consider ain’t a very vulgar word to use even in street/informal talk. I just do. I don’t know who these new subbers are here at viki. RakutenVIKI needs to man up, and clean this ugly mess of terrible subtitles we see now in dramas/movies. It turns me off completely to watch low quality subtitles in a decent drama, so I just dump them, and don’t give them the time of the day. Ironically, most of these actors/actresses are so calm and poise while the curses are supposedly spewing from their mouth…I want to :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream:

1 Like

So true!

1 Like

That ain’t right. It only be one word. Why you gotta do em’ dirty like that?

@ilikedeadclowns
That ain’t right. It only be one word. Why you gotta do em’ dirty like that?