Informing viewers about acquired licenses

I was really, really bored and I scrolled all the way down that boring, not-at-all-user-friendly Viki page, where I saw, with great happiness and surprise, that Viki has acquired the license for Bad Thief, Good Thief. I’m pretty sure they paid money for that, and that they want their viewers to actually watch their shows, so why don’t they promote them more?

In the carousel at the top, two shows are months’ old already and one is that god-awful Created. I can only subscribe to so many dramas and more often than not I don’t even know some exist (and I don’t like clattering up my profile page).

So why, oh why, is there not an easy way to see the new dramas/ movies in Viki? A newsletter, a special announcement somewhere more important than the god-forgotten bottom of the front page, even a pinned forum thread edited only by Viki stuff?

Yes, I know there are ways to search on my own, but why do we always expect viewers (and the volunteers) to do the hard work around here? Why can’t Viki care a little more??

10 Likes

In this case they might wait to advertise till the firt eps are subbed.
And … Searchfunction?
https://www.viki.com/explore?country=korea&type=series&program=on-air

https://www.viki.com/coming_soon

It’s also informative for potential team members, and also isn’t the license Viki’s product anyway? If I start watching elsewhere, I’ll continue to watch elsewhere.

I know how to use search function. I’ve already covered it.

Am I the only one constantly search to wait for subtitles?

@trangle8507 No, you are not. But I think, I am the only one not watching elsewhere … Okay, except for KBS’ own youtube channel.

@glykeria A llicense is not product. The subbed project is one, eventhough some don’t need the subs.Well, whenever I move around in the internet these days, I always have a viki banner on the page. But most of the time at least you have to be there once or twice to get this kind of add. PR is still capable of improvement.

1 Like

Even DF doesn’t have this drama. If you love Chicago Typewriter, you’ll love this drama. A lot bit related to historical events mentioned in “Chicago typewriter”.

Um… Ιsn’t the whole point of at least a dozen threads that Viki’s product is the license and subs were not included in the price?

Also, I’m specifically talking about informing users directly, random ads around the internet are completely irrelevant.

I’m not sure I get what you mean, how do you search for subbed episodes if you don’t know the show exists in Viki? Do you mean constantly search for new projects?

And that’s my point, unless we feel like it, why should we be the ones to constantly search and not Viki inform us?

1 Like

@glykeria
I think you are connecting the definition of “product” with a price tag.
It has so many meanings, I used it as “something produced by human effort”. Please don’t mix it with the Viki Pass benefits, where indeed subs are not included.
Viki obtains licenses, its not something they distribute further. They enable viewers to view the content that way, but the license stays with viki for the contract term. So the “product” of viki is to give viewers access to the dramas/movies/ etc … That might be also a point why there are so many threads out there, because people mix it up however they want without considering the legal or business elements.

I know, I just wanted to point out how useless they are, since they will only show for people already “infected” by the drama virus. Maybe it helps one or two dramas, when they are promoted at drama blogger’s pages, but well … It*s the PR department that should take care of it.

I mean I searched “bad thief good thief” multiple times to check if it was fully subtitled. I don’t trust subtitles from other sites. If this show is fully subtitled, I can enjoy :blush: this on TV with subtitles rather than watching it from third party website.

I prefer Viki, too, but sometimes we don’t get a license and I’m only human. :wink:

2 Likes

I think that’s not that achievable because for each show it would require a table of countries with one of the three options: yes/no/“QC only”.

1 Like

That’s a fair point, I hadn’t thought of that.

But I’d be willing to search on my own if I can watch it, if at least I knew it was on Viki. Not all dramas on the first page mention countries, but they’re promoted.

1 Like

Main page is not promoted. I heard from a CM I know that any drama or movie appears on main page due to clicks of fans.

I don’t know, it doesn’t make much sense from a marketing perspective.

And if Created is the most clicked-on thing on Viki, I really need to reevaluate my life goals.

1 Like