Is anyone else watching Phoenix 2020?

It’s technically a KOCOWA drama, but Viki was kind enough to release it in Europe as well. Thank you, Viki!

Umm… I find the title especially silly and uplifting at the same time. I mean, 2020 is like the worst year ever, but they added that Phoenix part, symbolising hope and a new beginning. That was nice of them. Hopefully, it ties in with the actual plot too. :smile_cat: And speaking of the plot, from what I’ve watched so far, it’s pretty good. It’s your typical “arrogant chaebol falling deeply in love with your average but cute character” scenario, but wait for it… The roles have been reversed. She’s the nasty one, while he’s the pure type.
I like it. It works. Of course, the fairytale doesn’t last, but love always finds a way to reunite those who believe in it.

Let me know if you’re just as excited as I am for the next episode of Phoenix 2020. Well, that sounds ominous. :scream_cat::joy_cat:

1 Like

it WAS on my list, since I usually like second chance romances…but from the reviews it seems the actress is not very good at acting. Do you think so too?
Also wow I don’t think I can watch such a long drama with 120 eps!:scream:

1 Like

Oh my! I wish best of luck to the Phoenix 2020 team :four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

Actually the drama is a re-make of the original from 2004

So the name was just used again and the drama title got the addition of the production year to not confuse it with the other version.

I didn’t know they would make 120 (30 minutes) episodes out of the old version that had 26 full hour episodes, but well, we don’t know what that will make out of the story. I like the old version and wanted to try the new one however not before it ended airing.

1 Like

It’s all right if you don’t like the character, but saying she’s a bad actress is just mean. Take Lee Dong Wook for example. He’s an amazing actor, there’s no denying that. Check out some of his earlier works like Scent of a Woman, however, and you’ll discover that before he shot to stardom, he was just this brainless hunk whose only purpose was to attract viewers. I’m sure Hong Soo Ah will continue to grow professionally.
Personally, I love her portrayal of a brat that’s also kind and sincere. If men can pull off the arrogant chaebol, why can’t women?

3 minutes in and I was done. I mean, what were they thinking?! Promoting such careless driving that results in the destruction of a pumping station and nearly killing the attendant?! And then everyone just walks away, completely ignoring that half a building and a car have been destroyed. Imagine if people were this nice and forgiving in the real world… Maybe I should watch it. I could learn a thing or two about being a proper human being. :smile_cat:

1 Like

@vivi_1485, At first, I thought it was a typo when I read 120 episodes. For me, 20 episodes is long, forget 120. I think it’s pretty smart that K-dramas nowadays are mostly 12-16 episodes, long enough to make binge watching possible.:wink:

2 Likes

oh same! i just get scared of watching long dramas because I’m a total binge-watcher, I even lose sleep at night to watch…imagine staying up to watch a hundred eps, I’d be able to communicate with zombies on a personal level!:joy:
when I watched my first c-drama i didn’t know it had more than 20 eps so I went right to watching it and though the story was interesting I was like "WHY are more episodes continuously jumping at me??!!! When will it STOP?! Gimme back my kdrama!":joy:
@adrianmorales oh, sorry about that…it wasn’t my opinion, a lot of the reviews said that​:sweat: But about your LDW example: though it’s true Lee Dong Wook was not a good actor in his early dramas, I wouldn’t watch them because I don’t want to watch bad acting! Whoever the actor is, I don’t judge on looks, they just have to be good(that’s why I don’t watch famous actors’ old dramas). I don’t have any prejudice towards the actress herself, I’ve never even heard of her or watched her, but the reviews told me this stuff, so I was and still am a little skeptical(also it is LONG) :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The only Chinese show I’ve ever watched was Never Young So Gone. I saw it in some music videos and somehow liked the story.

It’s not about binge watching for me but two days back I took a C-Drama as a subber. The Moderator asked me and I just said yes because I couldn’t say no. When I opened the channel page, I realized it’s a long awaited drama from the past 3 years and the shocking thing is it has 49 episodes. So, all in all, I committed myself to a 49 episodes long drama without even double checking. :sweat_smile:
I am not sad but I wish I’d just had taken some time to mentally prepare myself for such a long drama before committing to it.
Now, the drama is Historical but the moderator isn’t ready to use ancient Hindi language instead wants us to use English words for all royal terms or verbs, in short, modern Hinglish. It just adds more to my dejection, how can we use English words at all for a time in 9th-10th century :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

oh boy, I feel your pain…must be hard! On my first project, I realised I hadn’t prepared myself mentally for even that 16-ep drama, i was so DONE at times😳
I do hate Hinglish written in Hindi script though…it’s THE most confusing thing ever :frowning: (same with Konglish written in Hangul) Hinglish just feels…contaminated, if you get what I mean​:sweat_smile: over that if it’s a historical drama WOW it will be just plain weirddd to read subs!
Whatever it is, GO @twinkling SUNBAENIM!!! Hope you have a good team to work with and maybe be able to convince your moderator?

Yes, how can a poor citizen talk to a Queen as if talking to a fellow citizen?
Anyhow, I hope we’ll be good with the subs. It must have been difficult for you too. Taking a 16 episode show while starting is too hard for a newbie.
Thanks for your motivation!! :wink:

1 Like