Is My Sassy Girl ever going to get translated?

I’ll just wait util they go up on NETFLIX since most of the dramas on viki are already on Netflix. As a matter of fact, many dramas that bc of region issue I can’t see at viki, i already saw them on Netflix.

1 Like

They may be legal per se (as torrents are legal per se) but they are not legal when you use them to circumvent regional restrictions that viki has signed upon.
What happens in reality is that many volunteers do use vpn, because viki doesn’t know where each of us lives - or if it does, it can turn a blind eye.
However, non-paid ones are not that safe (in the infamous case of hola, you pay by sharing your IP that can be used by who knows who for who knows what, acting in your name). Therefore, many volunteers feel bad about paying for a vpn to do an unpaid job.
I remember when I was Chief English Editor in Temperature of Love: we had a very hard time finding Korean-English subbers for that. They just refused to use vpn for a matter of principle.

1 Like

I think one of the problems with VPN that Viki dislikes is because the drama is contracted with the broadcast company.
One of the conditions of the contract is to restrict global reaches. However, if users use VPN to bypass that, there might be a slim chance that the broadcast company won’t trust Viki with their drama, therefore, ending the contract.
Apparently, some broadcasting companies are still skeptical about putting their shows online so if we give them a bad impression that it’s unsafe, there would be fewer licenses made.

So linking back to the question if it’s frowned upon. Simple answer, no. But it is very highly recommended that you don’t use it.

1 Like

I refuse to pay to be able to work on Viki and I don’t really trust free stuff as most are not really as free as they claim. So as long as Viki doesn’t come up with something it can take a while before it’s fully subbed in English. It’s already completely segged for months so that’s not the problem.

1 Like

I watched the first episode of MSG and I tried to translate it in a google doc. I’m not a KO-EN subber and it’s by far not perfectly translated, I just did this as a try-out. There are even a lot of missing parts and parts I didn’t really understand, but I still hope some of you can take a look at it and tell me what you think. The sentence with question marks are the one I’m especially not sure about. Please also notice, I’m only able to translate (most sentences) if the Korean subs are already there.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1azFPrBA5yR_3h3NL_oCr19MfqOWSTrlozOviHZ_eqY8/edit?usp=sharing

1 Like

Also, Viki is now anti-vpn now.

Oh, nice! Yeah, Netflix is finally available in Europe, so I might give it a try also. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You should discuss this with The Soo Sassy Team. Maybe they can further help.

The Internet is a wild place, after all. There are no laws or rules, except common sense and hopefully some nice folks as well. :sweat_smile:
Yeah, free VPNs are totally not safe. Paying for them, however, guarantees good speeds and the fact that you won’t be mined.

1 Like

Hmm, what about the in-built Opera VPN? Same crap as the free versions? I find that unlikely.

1 Like

Have you tried it? Because I have. It’s good for light browsing, but not much else. The videos turned into a blurry mosaic because the speeds were staggeringly slow, even though I had a pass for HD. I’m not doing that again.

I have fairly good internet speed, so for me it works. I guess on average people would then struggle with it.

1 Like

It is safer than things like hola, probably because it’s a browser vpn (only works with the browser).

I found a number of articles about it. Here is what I had copied to my research document:
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/opera-vpn,review-4496.html
https://www.vpnmentor.com/reviews/opera-vpn/#
https://www.bestvpn.com/opera-browser-free-vpn-review/

My personal experience? I like it, but it doesn’t always work as intended.

1 Like

I went back to check if it worked for me on Viki, and sadly it didn’t anymore. It worked fine on DF. Maybe it was a fluke.

Perhaps Viki has found a way to partially block the more known VPNs, since I assume the pressure of viewers from all around the world to this particular site is high. (Primarily because DF only translates to English.)

1 Like

I can confirm that the integrated VPN on the desktop version of Opera doesn’t work PERIOD Viki hasn’t done anything to block VPNs. I’ve tried it with a Chrome extension called Touch VPN and I can access other regions just fine. It’s Opera at fault here. They don’t even offer countries anymore, just continents, which is weird because region-blocking is based on just that --> regions, countries, not continents.