Is segmenting overly complicated?

If anyone has done softsubs (CC) on youtube you’ll know that on there you only need to type in the seconds where the subs start and end. But on here you need to adjust segments to the 0.x secs by eyes? Why is that…? If I remember correctly if you time the CC on youtube right the subs won’t flash either.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s complicated here. Maybe even easier since you don’t need to type the secs, but actually cut it and move around using the keyboard.
You cut the video by the audio into parts, and you make it so that when one ends the other starts if there isn’t a long pause between (so that way A) the watcher has more time to see the sub B) no annoying disappear and reappear two sec later subs)
You really should see the tutorials for it, and even better try to join the Ninja Segging & Subbing Academy, or at least check out their explanations and notes.

2 Likes

I don’t find it overly complicated. By your explaination of how it works on YT, I find it easier to segment on Viki, then. It takes a few seconds to make a segment by using the keyboard shortcuts and a few seconds to adjust it, and then you’re onto the next segment. Once you get the hang of it, you’re zipping through episodes (or parts).

2 Likes

Oh, it’s just that when my sensei explained it to me there was something about the gap between the 2 segments, I understand that there shouldn’t be any gap so that the subs won’t flash, but she said something about it shouldn’t be 0.1 sec too early, the line shouldn’t be too thick or thin. I was tired then, I’ll come back to read it carefully. The explanation was really long, the teachers at the Ninja School here really put a lot of efforts into it.

I find segging here easier then on youtube. I tried segging on youtube once but failed. I don’t find segmenting here overly complicated, it’s actually pretty easy and when you have the feel for it you properly learn it in no time.

But although it’s pretty easy I still find training at NSSA/Seg101 important so we all have the same standards and such on Viki. And yes every sensei has their own style of teaching I guess.

4 Likes

once you keep practicing you understand much better what they are talking about. ^^
It is very much learn by doing. (ahh my English is horrible!!!)

Is timing on YouTube that difficult???

Did what I described sound more difficult? hmm. actually it’s been a long time, but I remember back then I dreaded timing the most. Not my most favorite thing about making subtitles.

@dudie

Sincevwe’re on the topic of Ninja Segging Academy, I actually had a few questions to ask. I’m interested in signing up, but is it time consuming? Also, how often are the lessons?

I just graduated sandbox today. You can do sandbox in a day. It’s like HW assignments. Then you can start the Academy. Each person’s pace is different in Academy. Academy has 5 levels.
Here’s the homepage: nssacademy.weebly.com

1 Like

@youraverageangel

Not very time consuming. After you pass the Sandbox, you have 5 levels of languages to pass and, I believe, a final segmenting test to graduate. You have to do a segmenting assignment for each level that usually consists of you correcting “bad” segments in the first 3 minutes and then creating segments for the rest of the clip (part). You have a week to finish this assignment. Your “teacher” (sensei, tutor… w/e you want to call it) will give you feedback on how to fix the segments to make them perfect (or very good). If you’re busy, however, just let your sensei know; they’re usually very nice about it. I’ve passed all 5 levels, and when I get back on 8/6, I will be doing the segmenting test for graduation. Very good program overall. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Yes, it is time consuming in the beginning. You think you’ve got it right, but when the feedback comes you get discouraged at how many stupid mistakes you made. But it gradually gets better and better, once you get the hang of it. I am only at level 2 (Spanish), so three more levels to go. I find I have to go over my part many times to make sure the segments don’t start too early or too late, that there is enough time after the end of the voice for the person to read the subtitle properly, that there are no small gaps between them which would cause flashing.
And of course there are the choices: when two people interrupt each other or speak at the same time…
But it’s fun too. I do like it. And, as with everything, I expect that I’ll become much quicker with time.

5 Likes

@icedthy @irmar

Thanks for your feedback ^~^ I signed up yesterday and just started the Sandbox today. I really like it so far.

I can’t wait to finish because I found an Egyptian drama on Viki that I watched years ago with my family and really enjoyed but unfortunately isn’t segmented. Once I graduate, I can segment it and translate it so that others can enjoy it too.

5 Likes

yay!!! Welcome! I’m on level 1 of the academy but should be moving to level 2 soon.

2 Likes

I’m finishing up Green Sand as we speak ^~^ (I’m technically done, but my teacher forgot to give me access to the segmenting timer…A mistake that I’ve made too many times as a moderator, so I understand).

1 Like