Is Viki no longer available to play within an internet browser on a mobile phone?

…And WHY?

Viki application is not available in all countries in the world. Why would you do that then?

3 Likes

I couldn’t do that from the beginning sinds I am on Viki, so this is not new to me.
I am from the Netherlands if that is important. And I joined on march 27 2020

4 Likes

I enter Viki on my handy always over the internet browser, never over App.
I also can watch videos there

4 Likes

I tried now on Safari and Chrome. Clicking on a link for the episode, I get routed to a page where the only two buttons are: Open with a Viki App, Install the Viki App. I’m in Norway. Perhaps it really depends on the country of residence?

3 Likes

I am from Germany.
Did you choose the desktop version oder mobil version?
You have to choose the Desktop Version, then it should work.

6 Likes

I never could play video’s on the mobile site either (and I get annoyed by that “Get the app for Android” banner on top you cannot get rid of. I do have the app but sometimes I use the mobile site for things I cannot do in the app.

6 Likes

Same for me too. I don’t normally use my mobile for shows, unless it’s to read stuff onscreen when I’m doing TE. The video quality in Subtitle Editor kind of sucks, lol Can’t read a darn thing. (I use the mobile app for this)

3 Likes

I do everything on my mobile, everything, watching shows gets automatically routed to the app, but only if the desktop site is not selected on your browser. :us::earth_americas::us_outlying_islands: Eastcoast.

5 Likes

It has been on auto-direct to its mobile app for quite some time, for me at least. In the past, I could still select desktop browser or app. Now, it seems there’s no other option.

I don’t think this option works now. I’ve had my iphone set to “Request Desktop Website on Viki.com” but the auto-direct is still the default.

4 Likes

The desktop selection works on Android :wink:
:us_outlying_islands::earth_americas::us: Eastcoast.

2 Likes

As many have already answered, one should switch to desktop view inorder to access viki website on mobile browser…
and it works very fine…
and i always use mobile for all my viki things, including subbing and watching dramas.
i sub on browser and watch on app
if i watch on browser it consumes more mobile data, i even joined and held watch parties from mobile browser.

subbing from mobile is soooooo veryyy easy as i can save many repetetive terms, credits and all the extra information on my clip board and the auto correction and the word suggestion strip speeeeds up my subbing a lot.
we can access the sub editor even without switching it to the desktop view, but to be able to watch the dramas, you should definetly switch the desktop view.

out of 38k subs i hardly did 1000 from my computer
and when lazy i do voice typing also :joy::joy:.

6 Likes

I can confirm that it does work within an Internet browser on a phone. Just select Desktop site from your settings first.

6 Likes

This solution doesn’t really work on an iPhone in Safari.

2 Likes

Try out chrome once, it might work

1 Like

I did this for my first show after returning to sub. It’s a bit more time consuming though because it’s not always typing the correct thing lol

2 Likes

It works super fine for my language :slight_smile:
I guess I am lucky :smiley:

2 Likes

There’s too many words with the same spelling but with different tone markings it could mean something else. So when I’m talking into voice command, I have to enunciate like a robot lol :rofl:

4 Likes

Yes, if you speak fast you can’t get it right sometimes.

2 Likes

On a real TV it looks much better. To look Viki on a phone, you should install the app and not use the browser. Quality is always better inside the app.This depends on your life rhythm also, I mainly watch before sleeping together with my wife. One episode is usually enough to fall asleep.

2 Likes

Would you believe that the application is not available in some European countries?

6 Likes