Is Viki planning on relicense some Kdrama?

Earlier this week I saw some Kdrama that have been licensed on Viki before. Now that made me wonder a few things:

• Are they planning to relicense those Kdrama and if so why did they let them expire them in the first place?
  • If they don’t plan to relicense why even bother creating a channel again?
  • Couldn’t they reactivate the old channel instead of creating a new one?
  • Is Viki planning to automatically putting the stored segs and subs back on the video’s or will that not happen unless the new CM asks for it?

Here is the list of Kdrama I believe was licensed on Viki before:

• Oh! My Lady
  • Spy MyeongWol
  • The Princess’ Man
  • Athena Goddess of war

For the last 2 I’m not 100% sure but I believe they where licensed before… and maybe some others that are listed in the project finder where too.

I’m confused so I made this topic. I liked Oh! My Lady and Princess’ Man is amazing too so it would be awesome to hav them back on Viki.
Didn’t se the other 2.

2 Likes

The Princess’ Man was a fan channel.

Is it possible that Viki can relicense dramas? Has it happened in the past before?

I don’t know why Viki would ‘lose’ the license if it’s planning to get it back again. What I can think of is that maybe there was an agreement that Viki would have show A for a few years exclusively and afterwards another website would get show A for a few years exclusively and now Viki can try to get the license again.

That’s the idea I have. I didn’t watch any of the dramas you mentioned in your list and I don’t know how long they’re already gone from Viki, so I could be wrong of course.

Maybe they add/ remove countries each license period.

At that time there was no such thing as license from the get go. Channels were made and dramas were subbed and if you were unlucky the license owner demanded to take the channel down. Which in most cases just happend.
I know for sure about Oh! My Lady, The Princess’ Man and Athena, Goddess of War.
I am not sure about Spy Myeong Wol, as I wasn’t involved at that channel nor did I watch the drama.

1 Like

The Princess Man was fully subbed and then abruptly, without warning removed a few years ago. I don’t believe we volunteers uploaded the video ourselves-- I believe viki uploaded the videos for us. I was Chief Editor on the project.

As far as I recall the situation, back then there was no video uploaded by viki.
I know that there was one subber who subbed the whole thing and I think it was her last project.

I’m not sure when Viki exactly started with the license stuff but as far as I recall Viki started with licenses in 2010 and maybe even 2009. I still remember it was such a huge thing when Viki worked together with MBC for the youtube version of Playful Kiss.
But as far as I remember at first Princess’ Man and Oh!My Lady where indeed fanchannels but later on got licensed and later on removed. I remember I was upset I couldn’t watch Princess’ Man on Viki when it aired because it was such a hit at that time. But Viki got it later on.

I used viikii starting 2009, and started contributing early 2010. There was no such thing as called license.
The first licenses were for dramas around 2010, but I can’t say if it was in 2010 or 2011.

My very first contributor project was Personal Taste which is from March 2010. It also was licensed at Viki at some point but I don’t remember if it was right away or not. But I do know for sure Playfull Kiss was licensed when it started airing in september 2010. The youtube version of Playful Kiss was from november 2010. So the whole license thing must have started before september 2010 for sure.
That Viikii and MBC worked together for the Playful Kiss youtube version was such a huge thing in Viikii history.

SBS Inki Gayo is also expiring soon… but it is a variety, not a drama.

Does this mean that the channel will be deleted completely?

The channel will most likely be gone but all contributions will remain in your contribution count.

I find it unfair for managers to lose the channel and then they put it up for someone else like oh my lady I did almost 2000 of Spanish subs back when I was able to type and to see it gone to someone else and not being able to contribute as much makes me depress same with Spy myeongwol which wasn’t a hit and the drama on ep 10 with the girl running away and all of what happened still it was hard work and even if the numbers remain the work is gone and that makes me sad.

1 Like

@lupita311
I don’t even know how many subs I did at Oh, My Lady but I have the same thing going on with Athena, where I know I have done about 4000 German subs and other subber who worked a lot to complete the subtitles. It’s not only making me sad, it’s making me mad right now.

That’s why I wonder if Viki will put all subs back on the episodes when they indeed get a license again…

I saw Viki assigned themselves as a CM for older Kdrama that was licensed on Viki before. No idea what that means but what was the point of having us apply for CM when they where planning on appointing themselves?

1 Like

@dudie Even after all these years, if they will put up Athena again, and add the German subs, I could tell.

1 Like

Since it has been officially said that they are keeping them, I suppose it would be stupid not to use those already available. Otherwise, what are they keeping them for?
It’s also for viki’s own good, because these volunteers can give their time and energy to subtitle a new drama instead of re-doing a work already done.

2 Likes