It is just me or the new drama on viki become rare?

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

Quite the contrary, Viki has licensed a slew of completely amazing K-drama so far this year, to name a few:

And, coming up:

https://www.viki.com/tv/37215c-alice

(Hopefully these are available worldwide)

I, for one, am solidly grateful for the chance to watch so many great K-drama on Viki. The dramas you listed are licensed elsewhere, which is likely the main reason they are not licensed on Viki - just as with many of the (non-KOCOWA) K-dramas that are licensed on Viki that are not available elsewhere. Thatā€™s often how licensing works, exclusivity.

As a side note, can any of the old-school Vikians confirm what I recall as a rule since I joined Viki 6 or 7 years ago: that throughout the Viki site (comments, reviews, discussions, etc.) the guidelines stated that users are not to promote, advertise, or even mention by name any of the competing drama streaming websites. Is this no longer a rule here on Viki? Because, it sure seems like a great number of Vikians take any chance possible to mention airing dramas, licensing, and other information about the competition site(s) - not to mention, disparaging and insulting Viki, thatā€™s pretty lame in my book. This is Viki, the best! :heart_eyes_cat:

2 Likes

Iā€™m talking about big dramas starring big Korean stars like Arthdal Chronicles or Crash Landing On You. I feel like Viki only get the crumbs.

The King: Eternal Monarch has been licensed elsewhere but only for the US. What about Europe? Why was Viki unable to obtain the license for the rest of the world? As they did before for Goblin.

By the way, Kkondae Intern, Find Me in Your Memory and Nobody Knows are not licensed in my country (France). So as you can see, we donā€™t have the same user experience on Viki.

1 Like

I have not heard that the rule you mentioned has changed as far as I know it is still in use.

1 Like

I donā€™t think itā€™s practiced very much lately, though. There was a period two-three years ago when they were adamant about it.

Despite the fact that Viki is the best, even if Viki were much better than it is now, there would still be room for improvement and, hence, room for criticism. Without healthy criticism a person or an organization does not move forward, does not learn. Of course, criticism should be dealt out carefully and should always be backed with a suggestion for improvement.

3 Likes

Big Korean stars:

Iā€™ll Go To You When the Weather Is Nice with Park Min Young) and (Seo Kang Joon. I hope they qualify as big stars for you.

Doctor Romantic 2
Han Suk Kyu, Ahn Hyo Seop (upcoming) Lee Sung Kyung

A Piece of Your Mind
It wasnā€™t a big hit, and was cut short, but I really loved it, and it has two big stars, Jung Hae In) and Chae Soo Bin

When My Love Blooms
Big big star here, (Lee Bo Young), with upcoming star Jinyoung

Popular hits
Once Again.
No huge stars here, but excellent actors like Lee Min Jung and Lee Sang Yeob, and a true megahit, with ratings over 25%

Miracle That We Met
Coming soon. A really great hit, with multiple awards. And of course excellent actors like Kim Myung Min, Kim Hyun Joo

Older but good

Empress Ki
A timeless classic coming soon on Viki. With the biggest stars, Ha Ji Won, Joo Jin Mo, Ji Chang Wook.
https://www.viki.com/tv/37211c-empress-ki

Earlier this winter we had 100 Days My Prince and My Mister, and in the beginning of 2020 ā€œAre You Human Tooā€, last yearā€™s dramas that Viki hadnā€™t been able to secure at the time but it got, albeit later.

I think youā€™re choosing to see the glass as half-empty and are only focusing on the ones we didnā€™t get instead of the many good ones weā€™re getting.

3 Likes

Fortunately, Viki managed to licensed some good dramas but I think it is not enough.
Iā€™ll Go To You When the Weather Is Nice is not the best drama of Park Min Young and Seo Kang Joon. Same for A Piece of Your Mind.

Once Again is a drama with 100 episodes. I donā€™t think the other sites wanted it. By the way, the dramas running in this time slot always have good ratings.

I would have preferred to have the ones we donā€™t have instead of what we have.

3 Likes

I really loved both of them (apart from Weatherā€™s last 2 episodes which sucked)
But whether I or you or the general public liked them doesnā€™t count in this conversation, because licenses are negotiated and bought much before airing, based on the popularity of the stars.

Fifty. Just like ā€œFive Childrenā€ and ā€œFather is Strangeā€. They just split them into half-hours in order to put ads in the middle.

Viki never gets 100-episode K-dramas - at least not in the past five years Iā€™ve been here. I think in older periods there were some.

Anyway, the bottom line is that Viki would also have liked to get the shiny new popular dramas. If it hasnā€™t, it means it wasnā€™t able to.

Of those airing now, Good Casting and Unfamiliar Family are interesting and a good watch, although none of them is a masterpiece.

2 Likes

@mas4

I would have preferred to have the ones we donā€™t have instead of what we have.

Couldnā€™t agree with you more those dramas we have here are a total Big disappointment.

Funny thing, you call them crumbs and I call them REJECTS no one else wants. lol

2 Likes

yes I have also noticed, is it cause of the virus?

1 Like

@frustratedwriter

I donā€™t think is because of the virus, is more because it cost too much money to get them license here and this site donā€™t produce that amount of money (not enough paying viewers here at the site).

1 Like

I have watched some of the new dramas, and some just not on track, I did like romantic 1& 2 it was good, memorist was good just reminded me of psychometric, Pyschic popup bar, so far is great, and dtill reminded me of the del luna one, and even started like that started! and even one of ā€œourā€ favorite actors the King, just not it. so on to the older dramas.

I have said it before and will repeat, if they (movies,dramas, books, etc)donā€™t grab me in first episode or chapter ,just as well forget it. and yes theres been a couple of dramas I stuck with them , and they were really good.
I just hope Viki will find us some good dramas! and another thing, hope they donā€™t get lost with all of this!! fold is what I mean

1 Like

I would like to respond to you. yes, Viki is the best, no matter what link I have gone to, to watch a drama, 1. the sound & video sometimes donā€™t match, 2 quality isnā€™t very good hey thatā€™s even on Prime!!, anyway, sure they need improvement, criticism is a form of compliments, but doing them in the right way is the best. so who wants competitorsā€™ names mentioned? If I had a business, I donā€™t think so.

yes I also am grateful to watch some dramas here on Viki, the videos, sound, subs, and whatever else matches, I still wonder if this virus has anything to do with itā€¦
ok if you canā€™t say anything good about it donā€™t say anything. yā€™all just be patient, ok?

sure we get upset and all, no new ones, and so on, again, even so, we have to be patient. things will work out in due time. I sure donā€™t want Viki to stop what they are doing. course its frustrating, but those older dramas , some we havenā€™t watched, so give them a try, even if its 50-60 episodes

sorry to say, the dramas (on NF) or some of them, I donā€™t care for, you younger ones like them thats fine
and I just said something about that Mystic bar oneā€¦ I just hate to see them stop everything, close the doors and such, due to not having to money to get the dramas and such. I hope they donā€™t disappear like DF did. I want to keep Viki

be patient, yā€™all have a great, blessed day.

a big P/S ok we have said a bunch here, well I found a drama that I side stepped a lot, didnā€™t think it was any good, I did like the Hong Gill Dong drama, but this one takes a more serious look at him. the rebel that sto;e the people. a fantastic cast by the way! so see what I discovered, and probably moszt of you havenā€™t seen it either.
you want more? what about the color of a woman, or scent of a woman, marriage contract. my girl, rooftop prince, lie to me. these are some of the older ones and you can scan through as well. just a FYI, again have a great day, a blessed day!

2 Likes

A company has to be deeply insecure in themselves not to be able to bear the mention of their rivalā€™s name. And that becomes even more ridiculous here in Discussions, which are so detached from everything else on Viki, that Iā€™m surprised we get any new people visiting.

I like my freedom of speech, particularly one which does not discriminate (or childishly pretend certain companies donā€™t exist).

Vikiā€™s fans are deeply passionate. Their loyalties are not going to change because NX has a few shows they would like to see on Viki.

5 Likes

I love the classical dramas! Even if they employ tropes overused in dramas today, I donā€™t mind because I know that they were sort of new in their day. I prefer watching dramas on Viki rather than anywhere else.

To an extent, I agree with you. I donā€™t watch NF as much as I do Viki, only if it has a drama that Viki doesnā€™t (aka Black or Mystic Pop-Up Bar which I still havenā€™t started). Viki is more diverse in their selection of dramas, and I appreciate that (especially in terms of Novoland Chinese dramas and historical dramas).

3 Likes

you are so right there, guess I was covering up their backsides(?) and a note I do like watching other places, but rather do it here. again you are right, freedom of speech and all