고추장! 고추장 I've become a complete gochujang addict

고추장! 고추장! I’ve become a complete gochujang addict!

What is Gochujang? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gochujang

My poor siracha is now is now ignored in the back of the fridge.
What is Siracha? - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha

:woman_cook: It’s so easy to use. Heat up the work add a little oil, garlic, toss in the veggies and let it slightly scorch to bring out the natural flavor of the veggies. When the veggies are the proper ‘al dente’ (meaning, Do Not overcook the veggies to mush!) Add 고추장 and stir it up. Then put it in a bowl and serve with rice. Then wash that wok and re-season it immediately cuz the sugar in 고추장 will stick to that wok like crazy.

I used to get the small squeeze bottles but I go through them so fast that I just got a tub of the stuff now. We’ll see how long that lasts. :sunglasses:

Uh, yea, I like SPICY food so I guess I will be able to eat my way through Korea quite happily. :slight_smile: (Now to find that 족발 (Jokbal) restaurant…) :grin:

So what foods are you guys eating?

6 Likes

Gochujang! Yay! :sparkler:
I’m with you on this, and I even put it in traditional Dutch food, lol.

Too bad once I’ll run out of supply it won’t be easy to get new ones these days, since it’s not even available in my town and travelling is an issue under the circumstances …

I am btw, also a fan of doenjang, which makes great soup. Also not available here, but at least my supermarket now has a Japanese equivalent. :tada:

4 Likes

Doenjang is absolutely amazing! I would love to add it to dishes other than soups, but I don’t know of any. The doenjangguk that I make usually has doenjang and gochujang–that is a heavenly combination of flavors!

3 Likes

I mostly use it for soup as well, although on the package of the Japanese version it says: for soups, sauces, marinade and salad dressing.
Guess we should just experiment with it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You can blanch namool (Korean veggies), and mix in the doenjang sauce with some minced garlic and sesame oil and sesame seeds. If you don’t have any Korean veggies, you can also use the same sauce on raw peppers (or sliced bell peppers) as a dipping sauce. You can also marinade pork with doenjang sauce mixed in with Korean cooking wine (or any other cooking wine) and grill it.

4 Likes

Guess you mean miso? It’s really versatile, you can use it in a lot of things. My go-to is to use it as a sauce to brush on vegetables and then oven roast them (I’ll make some miso at the beginning of winter).

Doenjang also tastes amazing when fried (and then you make it into a sauce). So delicious. Like @ajumma2 suggests, it’s amazing as is in sauces and marinades too.

Really want to try making it. Maybe I will this year / next year.

I love gochujang. It’s has such an interesting flavor. I’ve been advised to avoid spicy foods, so for now I don’t use it that much, only for other people. Also haven’t had the store bought version in quite a while. I still have half a crock of gochujang I made myself and it tastes different than the store bought one, mainly because I used dark malt flour instead of light (the taste is smokier and it’s a dark red - it fools you into thinking it might not be spicy, but oh boy, it is) and it’s less sweet.

Last month I started on my Japanese soy sauce project (which will finish next year, so can’t taste it yet) and my Chinese rice wine, which finished fermenting. I love cooking with it - it has a very strong rice wine scent and it’s great to cook with. Will make a new batch at the start of next month :smile:

I just kept it to some of the pantry stuff I really like to use :wink:

4 Likes

You can order tubs of Gochujang online. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is that the famous makgeolli I see in dramas?

No that’s Korean rice wine. You have so many different versions of rice wine in Asia. Makgeolli is delicious, but it uses a different yeast than the one I have - I can only make Chinese style rice wine with mine or make koji rice and make Japanese (sake) rice wine. I can’t use another yeast to make makgeolli other than nuruk :blush:

2 Likes

Yes, indeed. :slight_smile:

Oh, man, you make everything from scratch! Hereby I grant you a cooking badge:

afbeelding

2 Likes

Thank you very much :blush:

1 Like

I just bought Gochujang a little 1 pound tub of this paste for $6.19 (odd number, right?) I need simple suggestion recipes. We lost our appetite, and maybe if we try new things we can eat a bit more; my daughter is already size 3!!! from a 7/8. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

You can stir-fry a little bit of gochujang with your meat when cooking.

Or try this recipe:

You can actually find a lot of bibimbap videos on YT. You can choose and see which one you like :slight_smile:

Another option is to make a stir fried sauce with the gochujang:

2 Likes

@feyfayer

I have to get a few of the ingredients tomorrow to make this delicious looking dish. The sesame oil and the sesame seeds, the mushrooms, and the soy bean sprouts is all I need. My Gochujang sauce is from Korea. Now we have in my area so many Korean products I’m gonna feast.

2 Likes