Joseon Exorcist Officially Cancelled And Removed

Cough, maybe you forgot the American Revolution and that the British Empire was the dominating empire? (no offends though :kissing_heart:) So yes, the Americans fought for freedom as well.

5 Likes

Iā€™m sorry, I meant it in the context of cultural differences :sweat_smile:

Just the first 2 maximum 4 episodes. Of course, the first 2 were the problematic ones that sparked the controversy. The props and costumes couldnā€™t be guessed, of course, but the portrayal of the king was there. Maybe it didnā€™t look that bad on paper? Who knows. Whatever it may be, thatā€™s the reason the main actor wrote such a head-banging apology letter.
I was really sorry for him. He finally got a break with Tales of Nokdu, he was stellar there, and now his second chance at being a first lead and ā€¦ bam!

3 Likes

Donā€™t be sad. You got it all wrong. You see, South Korea and my own country are very similar. As such, Iā€™m pretty familiar with how things have evolved as a Democracy after thousands of years of being a monarchy and suffering under foreign occupation. The same happened where I live. And my countrymen and the Korean people have a lot in common, both good and bad. I criticise them as much as I show my love and support. Just read some of my other posts. I adore Kpop artists, for instance, but the agencies that manage themā€¦ Burn them! :sweat_smile: Again, it wouldnā€™t be fair to say that everything is rosy. Appreciate the good, punish the bad.

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I absolutely agree that we should ā€œappreciate the good, punish the badā€.

I know that I made numerous posts on this thread explaining the Koreansā€™ point of view. It was not because I necessarily agree or disagree with what is going on with JE but because I felt that I was the only one on the thread who at least can identify with the mindset of Koreans. I hope I was able to provide some insight.

This will be my last post on this matter. This controversy is a lot more complicated than I care to explain.
As with all controversies in K-dramaland, large or small, this will soon be forgotten by K-drama fans. However, for Koreans, who live with daily reminder that they are still at war, and painfully aware that there is still an ongoing feud with Japan over Dokdo, and Chinaā€™s claim over certain land and Korean culture (the Northeast Project, kimchi, hanbok, etc.), this was another reminder that they need to be ever so vigilant about protecting what they hold dear.

I apologize if I violated Vikiā€™s guidelines in any way.

11 Likes

No, I never felt personally attacked by anyone on this thread. You are sweet to worry about me though. Thank you.

5 Likes

I always worry about the actors when these things happen. I am watching ā€œTale of Nokduā€ I really like Jang Dong Yoon. Looks like he might have another drama already in the works.

I did read that the actors may only get paid for 2 episodes of the 14 that they did for Joseon Exorcist. That is sad to not be able to recuperate expenses on the show itself and for the hard work they do.

I wish them all luck in finding new projects.

4 Likes

This news was from before the ā€œJoseon Exorcistā€ thing. I hope this ā€œOasisā€ project hasnā€™t been affected and that heā€™s able to recover smoothly. He is a very good actor!

3 Likes

Well, as a European I usually donā€™t understand the mindset of ā€œAmerican freedomā€ either, like e.g. in regard of weapons or the way communism is defined. But well, thatā€™s not the point. What I learned from JE is the power of social media. Itā€™s actually quite scary and I started to wonder if itā€™s the same everywhere or if itā€™s rather different in East Asia at least.

I can imagine it mustā€™ve been hard for Korea as a country to have been ā€œusedā€ by everyone for quite a long time. Whether itā€™s the Japanese, US Americans or the Chinese - and the everlasting issue with the North. Still it seems to be ridiculous and scary. I mean, Iā€™m aware that the Japanese have similar discussions with the Chinese about the origin of sushi currently and that thereā€™re lots of conflicts based on what happened in the war and around that period of time. Lots of countries never really seemed to have bothered with facing their faults and mistakes it seems. That might be the origin of seemingly ridiculous outcomes such as this one. If we talk about a loss of culture I somehow have to think about the populists in our country worrying about Islam - it might be different, but maybe itā€™s not that different actually. But obviously people have to learn to stand up for their beliefs and values without discrimination. Still I can understand that China poses a threat in general.

Korean film already improved and managed to overcome issues to some extent such as gender inequality. Not totally, but slightly. They have dramas about corruption, BL etc while China shows a drama world where politics only may show up in historical dramas. Itā€™s a rather slow process and nobody knows how itā€™ll develop in the future and whether - from a European point of view - things will ā€œimproveā€ according to our mindset. Itā€™s a rather interesting question though.

1 Like

I donā€™t think so. The disgusting so-called ā€œcancel cultureā€ originated in the West, on Twitter, after all. The Internet is full of these hateful individuals who have perverted the very notion of justice in order to hurt others.

1 Like

Though I am not the original poster, thanks to everyone who provided links to articles and perspectives on this topic. Because it is so interesting, Iā€™ve decided to do a research paper for one of my masters classes on this. You all have provided great reference points for further study. Thank you!

5 Likes