[KDRAMA] Bride Of The Water God discussion ** Spoilers allowed**

I really was hesitant to watch, per some of your reszponses, I just didn’t want it to be a “remake” of the legend of the blue sea, want it to stand on its own. ok so I watched the first two episodes, different to say the least, and that plot of land? very curious indeed! give the "God " a break, he doesn’t know how to act any differently. But you all are right. I did think of Goblin a couple of times in the first&second episodes. oh wow, now on Viki! cool!
well y’all was boring really didn’t catch my interest, BUT I am going to have a go at it and watch it, still curious, that piece of land?? why? later guys & gals.

Goblin was beautifully filmed, in a poetic, polished and powerfully dramatic way. Bride of the Water God cannot compare. The actors are not that exciting either. The fantasy part is boring and stilted, and down on earth, the “exiled king” entertainment value is much less than Rooftop Prince - where the situation was milked to perfection.
Of course I’ve only watched the first two episodes, but it is far from gripping. It has no… no sweep. It never makes you gasp or wish it didn’t end yet.
OST n.1 is a good song, but the songs of Goblin were not only good, they were a perfect complement to what you were watching. I know because I have downloaded them and listen to them in my car, but if I want to really enjoy them as I did back then, I have to bring to my mind scenes from the film.

From what I know of you, you won’t like Bride of the Water God. I might be wrong, of course, but I’m 99,9% sure.

Well, I really, really didn’t like the Goblin OST either… For me it was whiny and boring. I’m still baffled how it topped the charts.

But, although I don’t really trust the general consensus on “it was great!!!”, usually the “meh” feeling is on point, and nobody seems sold on this drama, so I’ll skip it.

1 Like

On the other hand, if you are in Lee Sung Min withdrawal, watch “Memory”. I watched it this last week and I’m - again - in love. It has some melodramatic moments but it is well-written and well-acted by everybody.
This actor is so freaking good that after a while he even starts to look handsome.
https://www.viki.com/tv/29639c-memory

1 Like

I think he’s very manly and handsome in his own way. Not like Kang Ha Neul or my fiance Daniel, but he is charming (the actor, although his roles are usually beaten down characters).

1 Like

So I finally saw the first 2 eps, it’s not bad, it’s just it keeps jumping from one story to other and the subs are a bit well we know not the best. The plastic floats near the river are just hilarious. Although Lord Haebak is very handsome and charismatic, I think he really needs to eat… It’s good to see the other actor the businessman, he has aged greatly. Let’s see how this will develop so far it’s an interesting mix of drama/fiction.

1 Like

Some men with eyeliners are just so sexy looking, better than women, how’s that possible :blush: :yum: :heart_eyes:
I think Lee Jun Ki and Jae Joong can pull the eyeliner pretty as well, and then men with long hair :innocent:

2 Likes

I love Pirate and vampire Shows since the guys wear eyeliner so their eyes look sexier

1 Like

Oh my who is that guy who wants to kill So Ah? Is it an another god? one of her patients? an ex boyfriend? Or?

1 Like

Getting better. A bit slow for my taste (as far as the story goes) but I always give dramas 6 episodes to decide to quit or continue watching them. We’ll see how it goes next week. In the meantime, episodes 3 and 4 were a little more engaging. I think it will get better, we’ll see.

This scene was funny…

2 Likes

I think the guy who tried to kill her either works for Moo Ra (goddess Hae Ra) who loves Haebak and hates human women or another God and doesn’t want her to help Haebak to get his powers

It is still a bit of a mashup the scene when Habaek rescued the girl was kinda graphically impressive and I bet I heard a “hang music instrument” playing cant remember if ep 3, I think around 43 min or so…

I would have liked more scenes of when he was a god and had his powers. Because we almost immediately saw him as a powerless bum, and we cannot easily imagine how his “real” godly self is. So everything has been very prosaic. And a bit slow, if I may add.

There is a problem with the actor too. We’ve seen him give a good performance in Weightlifting Fairy, so we know he has potential. However, here, in order to look like an arrogant and aloof god/king, he has to sport an impassive face most of the time. This impassive face is expressionless and wooden, and it seems like bad acting rather than acting the aloof majesty. Mr. Rooftop prince did it better. Park Yoochun may have some questionable tastes and habits but he was not bad at all as an actor there. He was genuinely a prince and genuinely funny.
The girl’s acting is nothing to write home about either. The comic sidekick from the world of the gods leaves me cold and the other comic sidekick, the male nurse with the nasal voice and fake accent is extremelly annoying.

Still waiting for a couple more episodes for the show to convince me and grab me. So far it’s pleasant but not really exciting.

I never really was a fan of Shin Se Kyung’s acting. She mostly looks so plain to me.
And yes I think they rushed the beginning and now it’s slow. I would have loved to see more of the Water God with his powers in the kingdom. And the backstory of why he’s in the human world now and why those other God’s don’t like it he’s here.

Maybe they will show it later but for now it’s all a bit messy and doesn’t always make sense. Like when I started watching ep 3 I thought I somehow didn’t finish ep 2 as I felt there was something missing.

I’ve watched Girl who sees smells and I’m pretty good with faces, but I didn’t recognize her at first. Her face has changed a lot, I linked her to her other drama by the lack of acting, she has the same vacant look…

Also, she seems to choose big hit rip-offs: Girl who sees smells basically copied I can hear your voice (I loved that one) and Bride of the Water God is too similar to Goblin (according to this thread, I haven’t watched). Since they don’t do well and her acting can’t carry a drama, maybe her agency is at fault.

Yoochun is leaving showbiz and marrying rich, last time I checked.

this is different than Legend of the Blue Sea because in that show they were reincarnated and had memories of their lives together and in this show her family has to serve the water god for generations but they were NOT together in a previous life but she is his destined bride and servant(or at least that is the understanding I get from reading the summaries)

I remember Im Ju Hwan (CEO) from Shine or Go Crazy as the Prince…he is about 10 years older than the rest of this cast but still looks great

2 Likes

that is the synopsis for the manga and this show I heard is not following the manga…I read the summaries on a few different sites for this show and they are all the same as the one on the site where I am watching it

That’s a great point. A little bit of background on him as a God and the other Gods and their relationships would have been nice. It feels disconnected and maybe that’s why it fails to grab one’s attention completely.

I’m still hopeful that it will get better but we’ll see.

1 Like

Too bad, it’s not following the manhwa’s story that seems better to me.