Kim Woo Bin (김우빈) - Official Thread

Welcome to Kim Woo Bin’s Discussions thread! Chat about the popular South Korean model-actor and star of “School 2013” and “Heirs” here!

BIO: Kim Woo Bin is a popular South Korean actor and model. Born on July 16, 1989, he always aspired to become a model and debuted as a runway model in 2009 at the age of 20. He has since appeared in many fashion shows, including Seoul Fashion Week. Although his real name is Kim Hyun Joong, he took the stage name of Kim Woo Bin to make his acting debut in the 2011 television dramas “White Christmas” and “Vampire Idol.” He has made a name for himself playing the role of a rebellious student in the 2012 dramas as “A Gentleman’s Dignity,” “To the Beautiful You” and “School 2013.” Kim Woo Bin’s popularity skyrocketed after playing yet another rebellious student in “Heirs” alongside Lee Min Ho and Park Shin Hye in 2013, helping him to branch out into films and attain global fame. Kim Woo Bin is close friends with Lee Jong Suk, whom he met during their modeling days and played best friends in “School 2013.” He also was named the first East Asian model for Calvin Klein.

FUN FACT: One of his favorite things to do in Seoul is to walk along the Han River, although he can’t do that too often due to his schedule.

5 Likes

He is growing as an actor. Enjoyed him in Twenty.

1 Like

I wanted to create a new thread, but I will just update this instead. As you’ve all heard, Kim Woo Bin oppa was diagnosed with Nasopharyngeal cancer, a rare type of head and neck cancer, in May of last year, forcing him to cancel his schedule and undergo treatment. News of his well-being has been trickling ever since, but it wasn’t until late last year that we received an official letter handwritten by oppa himself:

"Hello, this is Kim Woo Bin.

I wondered how to start my first sentence for a long time after holding up the pen. Although I’m greeting you guys through a letter, my heart is pounding as if I’m standing in front of you guys. First of all… were you guys really surprised?

I wanted to let everyone know sooner, but I’ve been so occupied with receiving treatment and taking care of my body that a total of 7 months have passed. Honestly, I also got afraid each time my name appeared on the real-time search ranking so it took me longer, but I wanted to deliver [my message] before this year passed.

First, I think I need to talk about my current condition which is what you are curious about the most. Back in May, I was diagnosed with nasopharyngeal cancer, an illness I’ve never heard of. With understandings from film directors, sunbae and hoobae actors, and staff members, I adjusted all schedules immediately and started treatment.
Thanks to all of your support and prayers, I have successfully completed 3 chemotherapy sessions in addition to undergoing radiation therapy a total of 35 times. I was able to withstand it all while reading everybody’s encouraging messages on the fan cafe. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Currently, I am gradually recovering after safely receiving treatment and going for follow-up testing. I’ve also been taking strolls from time to time and eating meals on a regular basis, and I feel that I’m gradually getting better. However, I think it will take some more time for me to greet you all. Every time I left a message on the fan cafe, I always said to take good care of yourselves as health is first and foremost, but I’m embarrassed that I’m here showing a weak side of me. Through this opportunity, I will take extra care of my health and work hard to only deliver good news.

I pray only the good will happen in the new year for everyone and their families who are going through a difficult time right now. I hope 2018 is only filled with happiness, and I hope all is healthy.

One day, I’ll come back healthily as if nothing happened. I always appreciate you guys. Thank you. I love you."

A couple weeks later Viki’s own Soompi reported that he had been exempted from military service. Even if he’s getting a bit better, it doesn’t mean that the danger has passed. Still, I don’t think there is anything to worry. The military tasks individuals with arduous physical activities that even healthy men can sometimes have trouble performing them, let alone someone who is still ill.

This is it for now. Just so you know, I’m bringing this topic back to life, so make sure to post your wishes, updates and prayers for our oppa right here. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Just a really awesome update on Kim Woo Bin oppa:
https://www.soompi.com/article/1373841wpp/kim-woo-bin-shows-off-shockingly-long-hair-in-new-pictorial

kim-woo-bin-1

kim-woo-bin-21

kim-woo-bin-31

kim-woo-bin-41

5 Likes

I startwd watching Heirs, and was just wondering abut him. will how do some more acting later, how is he doing healthwise? so will look at soompi, the long hair has to go, just looked at the soompi, very interesting, hope it wont be too long for his drama!!

3 Likes

OH. MY. GOODNESS! He is just gorgeous with that long hair :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

He is an amazing actor, I always enjoy watching him on screen. I saw him in The Heirs, and then recently in White Christmas. He really takes up the screen and makes me see only him, hehe. He’s got that charm.

The article said that he will be narrating a documentary, and that he is in talks to star in an upcoming drama. I am all for him! I am glad that he is doing better and that he decided to not let that illness get the better of him and ruin his dreams. Hwaiting Kim Woo Bin!

3 Likes

Kim Woo Bin oppa looking absolutely gorgeous in this new black-and-white pictorial for Vogue Korea :heart_eyes:

When asked about his dreams growing up, he spoke with the modesty and maturity instilled by his own struggles: “Until I was in middle school, I had always wanted to become a strong adult in every way. I wanted to be a powerful man who had good strength, a large build, and was great at working. But now, I just want to become a good person.”
You already are, oppa :sob: :heartbeat:

https://www.soompi.com/article/1438839wpp/kim-woo-bin-talks-about-his-dreams-growing-up-current-goals-and-more

kim-woo-bin-3

kim-woo-bin-1

kim-woo-bin-2

5 Likes

He is rocking that hairstyle! He looks great in black and white photos :smiley:

3 Likes

I just wish https://www.viki.com/celebrities/15306pr-kim-woo-bin did an all big event wedding, and that the wife have a baby before the year 2021 is over. He deserve all the best and especially his girlfriend Shin Min Ah who stood by him through his sickness: THAT’S WHAT I CALL REAL LOVE!

4 Likes

I never knew he had a lover, but I hope no toxic fangirls destroy their relationship.:crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

He’s been in a relationship with Shin Min Ah (My Girlfriend is A Gumiho, Oh My Venus) since 2015 and most fans support them wholeheartedly…if you’ve watched Oh My Venus there are loadssss of comments about Woo Bin whenever Shin Min Ah has a romantic scene with the male lead.
Oh My Venus was like such a prophecy though-- the male lead has cancer in the drama and she sticks by him, and then in 2017 Woo Bin had cancer and Shin Min Ah still stuck with him throughout the whole thing :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

They match so perfectly bc they have that aura of having a caring, wonderful good heart. My mother got stage 4 breast cancer back in 1998: she was given an ultimatum, that if she removed the breast, she was on her own. How can you tell a person chose a breast over life or death? After 22 years in the relationship, this person walked out on my mother. My mother was given a year to live back then, but 20 something years later she’s alive and enjoying her life to the fullest. The person that walked out on my mom died 2 years ago a very painful death from lung cancer, and my mother who was left alone, went to that person’s burial, and contributed for burial and the stone too! Why I add this here? To serve as a lesson to others that when ppl get sick we don’t have to leave them, we have to stay with them until the end bc when we do good, good things come to us, but when we do wrong, we are going to be sorry. I’m not saying we are Obligated to stay, just that real love endures together until the end.

4 Likes

Enjoying the drama thanks to a caring soul here. I have mixed feelings bc is obvious Woo Bin had some kind of procedure that had to be covered with a huge scarf that took a lot of emotions from the scenes. The writer kept putting the FL in the Hospital which fell into the ridiculousness of them all. But I love A Suzy (my adoptive Asian daughter :rofl:) and Woo Bin ( a wonderful strong man), so I’m there until the very end.

3 Likes

You can watch Uncontrollably Fond on NF, too.

2 Likes

Controllably Fond, is no longer on NTFX. I tried just now again and the title is there, but not the drama, and it took me to INHERITORS? (I believe is HEIRS) now they change the titles of the dramas too. Thanks anyway :smile:

2 Likes

It’s still available, at least it is in Europe.
Try it again, please.
https://www.netflix.com/us/title/80986933?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp&vlang=en&clip=81305678

Kim Woo Bin oppa is in talks for a new drama, Delivery Knight. This is big news, you guys! :grin: :two_hearts:

https://www.soompi.com/article/1482363wpp/esom-in-talks-along-with-kim-woo-bin-for-new-drama

5 Likes

So glad he is doing well

4 Likes

I am watching that now

3 Likes

Oh YAY! That’s really good news! Been waiting for him to get better and get back on the screen.
I also hope that someday soon, Shin Min A will be paired with him in a romcom or sweet romance drama. I hope a good k-writer will do that for them and us. :pray:t3:

While watching Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha, and as I watch the sizzling chemistry of the OTP, my mind would sometime stray toward KWB as the adorable Chief. lol. I would somehow picture SMA+KWB as that lovely OTP in RL. lol :hugs::hugs::kissing_closed_eyes:

KWB, welcome back! So glad you are recovering well (or have recovered?). Stay strong and healthy for a long, long time, Oppa! :muscle:t3::muscle:t3::muscle:t3::pray:t3::pray:t3:

3 Likes