Korean Historical Dramas (Sageuks)

Uuuuhhh right !! I can remember it aired on TV a few years ago and dad told me that. I just couldn’t watch it haha
How can they do that to that beautiful love story…
Have fun !! And thanks for the recommendation

Kim Soo Ro is one of the few with relatively happy endings.

I’ll have to put it on my list, then.

My first K-drama was historical (Jewell in the palace) Since 2009, the state-own Romanian broadcaster air from Monday to Friday historical Korean dramas … I’ve seen so many historical dramas that I lost their number :smile: After a year, private broadcasters also started to air historical Korean dramas and also contemporary. So, my immerge in the Korean culture is due to sageuks.

2 Likes

…and with such exposure in Romania it should be understood why we have a lot of Romanian viewers joining us here on Viki.

Never crossed my mind to search Korean series on the internet before 2009. Only after I watched on TV a k-drama I become interested. Also, I didn’t know much about Korea’s history, about their civilization before watching k-dramas. All I knew about Korea was that it’s a far faraway land split in two after the war between Americans and Soviets who appointed two Korean leaders who shared their political view and while the southern part rised like a phoenix after ww2 and became an extremely developed country, the northern part lived under communist regime and became a very close-nationalistic country. I knew about the Korean war, when brothers fought against brothers for three years and many people died ….  These were all my knowledge of Korean history before watching k-dramas :slight_smile: shame on me! Thanks to K-dramas my interest for this faraway land suddenly increased.

Sageuks are wonderful because of the narrative combination between historic elements and elements sending to modern age sensitivities and emotions. Although all sageuks promote the same values (respect, loyalty, integrity, family, virtue, honesty, love) repeating them in each drama do not alter the character of new, it’s always a glimpse of life.

2 Likes

Just a small clarification…

There was no war between the Americans and Soviets. The Americans and Soviets were on the same side in WW2 and at the close of it the Soviets took control of that part of Korea above the 38th parallel which became N. Korea.

It sounds like you knew a lot more about Korea than most non-Koreans I know. :slight_smile:

I know that, but the Soviets exerted influence in the North and the Americans in the South, like they did in Europe after ww2 (East vs.West). The 38th parallel is their “Iron Curtain”. The US wanted the entire peninsula to be democratic, while the Soviets wanted it all to be communist, so US appointed an anti-communist leader in the South and soon the South declared itself a nation, while the Soviets appointed a communist leader in the North. There were no nation-wide elections cause Americans and Soviets never trusted each other.

We had a similar “iron curtain” in Europe, like you had and still have in Korea, that’s why I knew about it. It’s still a shame that from all your rich history I knew only about that fact. I feel sympathy for Korean people, especially for those from the North. They are, somehow, like we used to be.

2 Likes

For anyone who hasn’t watched Jewel of the Palace yet, this might be a good time to do so. The channel is almost completely updated with timing and translation adjustments.

Many people have seen it many times. Dae Jang Geum tells the tale of an orphaned kitchen cook who went on to become the king’s first female physician. In a time when women held little influence in society, young apprentice cook Jang Geum strives to learn the secrets of Korean cooking and medicine in order to cure the King of his various ailments. It is based on the true story of Jang Geum, the first female royal physician of the Joseon Dynasty. It first aired from September 15, 2003 to March 23, 2004 on MBC, where it was the top program with an average viewership rating of 46.3% and a peak of 57.8% (making it the 10th highest rated Korean drama of all time). Produced for US$15 million, it was later exported to 91 countries and has earned US$103.4 million worldwide, becoming known as one of the primary proponents of the Korean Wave by heightening the popularity of Korean pop culture abroad.

I haven’t read everything, but thought my question fits best here:

What language is this?

I already noticed it in Bossam and now again in The Kings Affection. A teacher reads from a book with Chinese characters, but it sounds more Korean. Then his student explains in Korean,how the quote should be understood.

It’s written in Chinese, but read with Korean pronunciation of those Chinese characters.

2 Likes

Thank you very much.

1 Like