Viki

Korean honorifics (hyung, unni, NAME-ssi...)

When I did the survey back ten years ago, I didn’t consider the ethnicity of the subbers, but I did obtain the three options for Romanization from authors of English books or research journal articles of people who were most likely ethnic Koreans from their names. The Revised Rules of Romanization essentially said Koreans were free to Romanize their own names any way they pleased. This is why the surname 이 is written Lee, Li, Yi, and Rhee, even though under the RRR it should be I.
It is interesting that viki personnel usually have the two-syllable given name of the Korean cast on Korean drama separated by a space.
On Netflix subtitles, the given names are usually hyphenated.

@pixy_dreamer, Although nowhere close to being fluent, I did study Japanese, Spanish and French in school, so I totally get what you are saying about a combination of certain letters having different sounds in different languages. This is why hyphens are permissible in order to separate two syllables. I believe that’s how NF romanizes Korean given names as a rule.

@cgwm808, as you know, Korean culture only recently became popular worldwide through k-pop and k-dramas. In the past, I think the names of Korean celebrities were romanized more according to the preference of English speakers, but if you notice, the younger ones are choosing to romanize their given names without a space (Jungkook, Chani, Sunwoo, Rowoon, Sooyoung, etc.).

@cgwm808, In the video I heard this type of name address, and if I’m not mistaken, it was So Ji Sub, or someone with a similar rapport. The actor answered to this type of name address, not being offended.

However, you did answer another question I did not voice/post, and that is if anyone could do so, based on your response, the answer is no. Thanks :sparkles::wink: