Viki

Korean Language Learners and Speakers 🇰🇷

To all the people who are trying to Learn Korean, or have any questions about the Korean language,let’s all post our questions here, maybe we can help each other out, and maybe the other learners or the native Korean speakers here can help answer our questions. :smiley:
Let’s begin learning together!

Learning and Teaching Languages
Learning and Teaching Languages

I’m going to start with a question that has been bothering me for quite some time, what is the difference between the native Korean numbers and the Sino-Korean numbers? And when are each of them used?:thinking:

I also noticed that when someone says they’re hearing a voice. They say 목소리가 들려.
Why is it 목소리가 and not 목소리를? Isn’t the voice the object here?
Thank you in advance. :grinning:

https://www.omniglot.com/language/numbers/korean.htm

According to the above website:
“The native numbers are used for numbers of items (1-99) and age, while the Sino-Korean system is based on Chinese numbers and are used for dates, money, addresses, phone numbers, and numbers above 100.”

We also use the native Korean numbers when counting.

I honestly never thought of why it’s said that way because that’s just the right way to say it. But now that I think about, it may be because it’s more like “A voice is heard.”

@ajumma2 Thank you so much for your help! :smiley: I was starting to feel that no one would answer me :sweat_smile::sweat_smile: Thank you :relaxed:

You are welcome. I don’t check this very often. I think it was over a month ago when I checked it last.

I was worried too, and was praying someone saw your question and answer you. With the wonderful help of @ajumma2, you are also helping others too shy to ask questions. I’m writing down all this new info. Thank you to both of you!

thanks!! :blush:

Something I noticed while watching dramas: Sometimes I found verbs used in their dictionary forms (as I think they’re called), I mean the ones ending in (-다) Instead of it being conjugated.
Does this have any particular reason or rule?
Or is 다 itself a verb?
examples for when I noticed this:
예쁘다.
이상하다…
Said like that by themselves… why is that?
thanks in advance.

xx다, xx하다 are regular verb forms. So it’s common to end a sentence with xx다.

@ajumma2

But, shouldn’t they be conjugated? I mean in English for example, the infinitive form of a verb is almost never used, at least not in such a context.
Or it is just said like this when there is no obvious subject? such as “it”. This is the only thing that came to my mind, that this is said when the subject is the English “it” which as far as I know does not exist in Korean.

Maybe these links will help:
-ㄴ다/-는다/-다 Plain Form
Narrative Present Tense in Korean / -(ㄴ/는)다

“It” or subject is assumed, even if it’s not spoken. xx다 is the present form of the verb.

감사합니다 :relaxed:
Actually I did find what I was looking for there.
It turned out I was asking about descriptive verbs and the other thing is that this way is used to express surprise.
So, thank you so much for your help!