Lack of New Korean dramas on Viki

@jadecloud88

It doesn’t have the title of the drama only the ones on YOUKU I’m on episode 4 of Chinese drama Why women Love? It’s awesome!

The one I can’t find the ending or rest of the drama which I would love to watch fully is about a woman that her husband divorces her, and marries his mistress. She ends up working in a store, and the husband shows up with the mistress and his son with her, she’s in the storage room when the manager screams her name ordering her to get the expensive shoes for the ‘‘client’’

When she comes out, she acts like the classy lady she is, and tries to make the sale by putting the shoes on the other woman’s foot, but the husband is in such nervous wreck, he ends up buying two expensive shoes making his ex-wife the number 1 seller of the store (which is a good thing). The part I want to have closure with is that the mistress has the boy from her marriage with him, and this evil mistress treats the boy bad and makes him cry.

The boys look to me around 9 years old (remember he was with both women and both were pregnant around the same time).

Maybe you can find the drama by this saying/Chinese idiom they used in the scene and is a followed…

Her manager tells her: ‘‘You look like they knocked your teeth out and you swallowed them.’’
Between parenthesis they put,(meaning) (SILENT HUMILIATION).

I laughed so much with that saying that I got up immediately to add it to my notes. That is why, I can remember it so well. I DO PRAY you have an idea which drama it is, and especially that you can tell me the title so I can look for it until I find it. Better yet, I hope you can find it for me since I can’t find it in You tube where I was able to watch those two episodes. Thanks a lot!

3 Likes

@my_happy_place

That ‘‘resource’’ has saved my life lately, as I’m packing to move, and I’m watching them dramas/movies since they are cut short, and don’t require for me to be guessing the translation in the subtitles because they are really good. Very clear to understand, so whoever is translating them, is doing a fantastic job.

I agree we need to take breaks from Dramas because I always compare dramas with; when we eat too much of the same thing, that at one point, we can’t even stand to see it anymore, and get ‘‘upset stomach’’ lol
@my_happy_place…sorry wanted to add this, too.

I think they need to cut down on volunteers back in 2015 according to the CEO at that time, they had 200,000 volunteers. I also feel that having 100 volunteers for one language (like Spanish) is the biggest mistake they can make. Being is so easy to get into that language lately even people that have very low proficiency in Spanish are working in dramas instead of working in their native language which is where they are needed.

I remember a person that had mentioned knew Armenian language bc it was his/her native language, and only took 1 year College in Spanish (at that time). This person was added to the team in many dramas, and the subtitles were terrible. They always say ‘‘EDITING Dept will fix that,’’ but I ask myself, what need is for that to be going on here? We have people that their native language is Spanish and they know the rules of grammar and can offer better subs in Spanish.

We also have dramas that could have been easily translated to Armenian, but this person was working as a TERRIBLE Spanish subber. I reported this subber so many times, and for 3 years continued to give crappy Spanish subtitles. Who can understand the things that go on in here? They need to cut down on how many subbers they have in the Spanish teams since some of these volunteers FAKE they know Spanish bc is so easy for them to get in that team. I don’t understand their obsession with giving low quality Spanish subtitles bc is not like they’re getting paid.

4 Likes

“The first half of my live” or so.

“Why women love” is available on Viki.

4 Likes

I see. I haven’t watched this yet, but it is on my to-watch list. :grin: I didn’t know it’s a difficult to find drama. Let me try.

I remember this scene very well. I’ve watched this drama twice already. Haha. I still love it! In fact, it was on Viki when it premiered. I guess the license has expired.

LOL I love this saying, too. Funny and descriptive. In fact, there are tons of Chinese sayings and idioms that are similar in nature. :heart_eyes:

You’re right. It is. :+1:

It’s available on YT with English subtitles.

Summary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkY0-_qW8x4&list=PLQqbdnAgoRmZFhKcaeEMvuf_syAYEFxoc

It was supposed to have a Season 2 with a new cast. But there has been no news for a long time. It’s already a bummer when they announced the change in cast. Well, only time will tell.

https://mydramalist.com/42117-the-first-half-of-my-life-2

2 Likes

@spaufler_89
Thank you so much. I can’t believe ‘‘Why woman Love?’’ was here too! I’m going to continue watching it here. I’m around episode 8 (in the other place).
I wonder how many more jewels like this one we have here, but we don’t know about them. When I go to explore page the ones they have in the front page are for younger viewers, so I don’t even bother to check them out. If you know other titles here at RViki you think I might like, please give me a list. Thanks in advance.

@jadecloud88
Can you please add in your thread a list of Chinese dramas like; ‘‘The first half of my live or life?’’ and ‘‘Why woman Love?’’ I saw in your thread mainly traditional romantic dramas which I’m not a fan of those romantic story lines which many times end up in tragic endings.

I’m not too much on Romantic Traditional Chinese dramas, unless they are full of action (not long fights either) I also love thriller, but with less to no romance. Can you add some in your page? I also like Doctor/Medical or Detective dramas. Thanks in advance!

I did watched fully here the Chinese drama ‘‘The Wolf?’’ I’m not good with titles. Sadly, although has a tragic ending, I feel is soooo worth watching.

PS.

It’s available on YT with English subtitles.

So far I found only 2 episodes and had no luck finding the rest, but now that I think about it maybe they are working on subbing the next episodes. I hope I do find it bc I need closure. lol

2 Likes

The problem with wavve dramas is that they all are usually available only in Korea, with no English subtitles. It’s very hard to get them anywhere outside Korea. That’s why Tracer went from being a hugely anticipated drama to almost unheard of( i myself was soooooo excited because of the amazing pairing - loved them in the movie A Melody To Remember). And that’s also why EXO-L are currently furious over the fact that EXO’s variety show will be aired there, makig it next to impossible to see outside Korea.

6 Likes

I had heard that about Wavve content - that it would mostly be in Korea, which is why I was surprised to read some articles discussing the cooperation with Kocowa, which is specifically designed for international distribution. The executives themselves stated in interviews that Wavve content was going to be available through Kocowa, but apparently that rollout hasn’t completely come to fruition, although some Wavve content can, in fact, be found there. One article in particular talked about the amount of money that Wavve was planning to invest in original content, and it seems like it would only make sense for them to want to cash in on the growing global audience.

6 Likes

Its true that they have suddenly started to produce a lot more dramas than before, but i cant see any developments in their overseas distribution. Wavve is still unavailable on the Play Store here :frowning:

3 Likes

LOL It’s getting more and more OT now. I’ll reply within spoilers.:grinning:

Summary

That thread is for upcoming/other C-dramas that are not licensed and not yet available on Viki. It is not restricted to any particular genre, rather, it’s for whatever genre that anyone chooses to post in there.

“Why Women Love” is already on Viki. As for “The First Half of My Life”, it was on Viki but the license has expired (likely reason why it was taken down).

Yes, it will be updated with more.
Everyone, feel free to pop in what you want on Viki.

@my_happy_place The more i read about Tracer, the higher it has gone on my to-watch list lol. It has 2 seasons, though short season each of 8 episodes per season. I’m going to binge-watch it during the upcoming Spring break. Thank you for bringing it back onto my radar. :kissing_heart:

(Please check your inbox).

4 Likes

I thought that thread was yours, but I see now is from 2021 and @aznative made it. I confused your thread with another one. Sorry. This is the one I thought was yours…
Thanks for the info. I appreciate that so much.
It seems some of these dramas are just created, so they might not even be available here yet…?

2 Likes

I don’t do the watch parties cause they are on so late, I’d just rather watch here on Viki, or NF or Prime, or YT or ???

everyone y’all did good today, yes I agree with a lot of you especially when choitrio mentioned about the demise of Drama fever,

Like I said before, I hate to see Viki, do the same thing to us, AND not even let us know it is ending!!

I do enjoy these discussions, but maybe it is time to move on, for everything

4 Likes

Since most viki dramas have regional restrictions (especially in the last 2 years), nobody can watch (or sub or seg) them here. Also, viki dramas tend to be of one or two genres. It is normal that people start seeking elsewhere to find something new/original/good and that viki doesn’t carry enough weight to acquire good dramas anymore, korean or others.

5 Likes

Why doesn’t Viki carry enough weight? For me that’s the question, since Rakuten are behind them.

It is the same with, for example, One ordinary day, a phantastic mini series released at Coupang Play.

2 Likes

Strictly looking at the numbers alone, NFLX is worth approximately $154 billion with over 150 million subscribers whereas Rakuten is worth approximately $12 billion. There is a reason why NFLX is considered the streaming giant.

13 Likes
I remember when they were a 📮 red box

I remember when they were a :postbox: red box, like a letterbox on the side of the road, at shopping plazas. Back then, they were going up against blockbuster.

3 Likes

I remember those days. It was quite sad to see all those Blockbuster stores disappear. What a success story for all those FAANG stocks…

3 Likes

Rakuten TV is just one part of what Rakuten does and Viki is just one of Rakuten’s assets.
If Viki can’t bring paying audiences, Rakuten will not spend on acquiring dramas.

3 Likes

Update: 2022 has become a battlefield of good dramas rn… just amazing drama after amazing drama in the lineup.

Of the Top 10(Popularity) currently airing kdramas, 5 are on Viki, 3 on NF, and 2 on Disney+
However, NF wins the international popularity battle, as previously predicted.

1. Tomorrow NF
  2. My Liberation Notes NF
  3. Love All Play D+
  4. Again My Life VIKI
  5. Shooting Stars VIKI
  6. From now On Showtime VIKI
  7. Our Blues NF
  8. Ocean Likes Me VIKI
  9. Woori the Virgin VIKI
  10. Bloody Heart D+

The order is slightly different when it comes to SK TV viewership ratings.

10 Likes

@vivi_1485 I’ve just noticed something as well. The five of the top 10 dramas Viki has are all available for viewing on Viki in the United Kingdom. Usually if something is available for viewing on Viki in the United Kingdom. It is also available for viewing in much of Europe as well, but the shows won’t be available everywhere in Europe that should be most of the larger European countries

I wonder whether what Viki is starting to do is go after a few less dramas, but is trying to ensure that the dramas they do go after can be licensed in more jurisdictions. This does make some sense as pulling in a larger audience from around the world makes them less reliant on their user base in the United States and would over time, allow them to pull in more revenue, which allows them to better compete in terms of content licensing. The United States is one of the most heavily contested markets for streaming, making it harder to pull users in

3 Likes

I believe Viki lost Kocowa to Amazon prime.

3 Likes