Lack of New Korean dramas on Viki

bet its licensing again, but still , seems there should be a way for them to get the dramas, I still can’t believe those pirate links, “copy” them and put them on their site! theres got to be an answer somewhere. would live to see some new ones here, I wont name them here.

I am latina, but I am obsessed with Korean dramas, and variety shows. I agree with you it is disappointing, but been searching on YouTube, Prime, etc. and to find Korean shows with english subtitles. I hope Viki loads more soon. For those items not available in my region I tend to fill form out in hopes many other users request it, and gets uploaded on Viki.

2 Likes

I have noticed this as well. Hollywood (I mean it by a generalization) has “discovered” K drama: albeit Hollywood is really LATE to the game. I have noted the increase in BL as well on Viki. I really don’t like to see that the more monied sites like Netflix increasing the competition and as a result the probable price of a K drama. I hope that the content producers (Korean directors and writers) don’t change their great approach to writing and directing to look more like American TV.
As for Netflix as a platform: I personally don’t like how it is organized. Too expensive.
Actually, I have started watching Chinese drama exclusively and enjoying it. Viki has been getting some great C dramas.

Thanks

6 Likes

Does anyone know if there is a measurable difference since Covid between the Kocowa content available on Viki for Plus subscribers compared to the kdrama content strictly available through Kocowa?

I am just weary of watching the older ones, and the newer ones are much to be desired, some could literally be put in the trash , thats me, ok?
but still there could be some better stories around that they can produce, other than the love or vengence or wars or…
theres gotta be something about Korea, China, Japan Thailand, Vietnam, that has a mystery, scifi, or whatever, so they found those soldiers in China, what about a story, research whatever, those cities underwater, theres a story there thats to be uncovered,

so writers come on, mysteries afoot! write about them. did they have ufo sightings, so we hear about the 9 tailed fox, so what about other legends?? and I don’t mean ghosts

sorry y’all got on my soapbox this morning,

7 Likes

I’ve noticed this also. But according to me it’s the effect from differents facts. Time ago, Viki was very focused on kdrama and cdramas in an equal way. And since one or 2 years Viki is obviously on BL mode. Each big show is from this type of drama. Here, many topics came and one of them is favourite because we talk about cdramas. Then few months ago, Viki came back to cdramas. Viki licenced many big productions from China that were waited by people since years. Now we are on cdramas mode on the platform. According to me Viki changed its audience per period (we will come back to kdramas mode but when ?) and it lacks of kdramas because they are the cake each platform has to share. Kdramas are more popular and it’s the section you must have on your streaming platform. NF, prime and other are fund of kdramas. But I don’t see many cdramas on NF or prime. So it’s a way to get audience here in Viki. If you’re not able to watch in English those long cdramas, only Viki can helps you or sub by teams on web. People are complaining here about speed of subtitles but they are still here to watch. So they can’t watch complete in English. Conclusion : this lack comes from cdramas mode nowadays on Viki and that kdramas licenses are hard to get because of other platforms fighting for them.

5 Likes

and some of the dramas you want to see aren’t here either, so I go to NF or those other streamers.

3 Likes

You are correct. I have collected them all by recently having my cousin’s netflix account and my parents pay for ondemandkorea. My roomste has Hulu/Disney+. Is there any kocowa exclusives? I think that’s amazon prime right?

1 Like

amazon prime , right, but kocowa does charge a fee. which I think they are seperate from Viki.

Wow, so it is not just me who noticed the lack of new and more kdramas lately. Even ■■■■■■ does not have much to show. I use to remember I had an episode of different shows that I follow daily. Now I am lucky to find 1 or 2 series that are interesting enough to wait for. ■■■■■■■ does not have much kdrama’s either. It is too sad.

3 Likes

really a shame that they arent picking up new shows, are they going out of business? just saying

1 Like

Just saw on a c/drama a saying if another comes into the game, there will be a shortage :wink: It’s unfortunate that other networks picked up on the Asian wave, NF Disney, and all the others, also because they co produce these dramas, they have exclusive rights, like Viki here with some and lastly because they are successful, actors cost more and therefore the license. Interestingly Viki picked up on Manga shows to fill the niche of less Korean dramas… Everyone wants a piece of the cake… competition runs high!

3 Likes

Disney just dropped the korean drama market. Even all the asian market I think.

Maybe there will be more for viki in a few months ? :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Surprise! :scream_cat:

3 Likes

Sorry I have to some what disagree here, Viki was not just known for Koreans drama. They have always had a variety of Asians drama I personal like the Chinese drama because when it come to fantasy and historical or period drama the Chinese no one can beat them. I also like the Japanese drama because they are not afraid to touch on subjects of sexual issues or relationship they are really up and coming with more good dramas.

Now when it comes to Korean drama personally I am sick and tired of their insane plots like the drama like “Women In A Veil” also their same story constantly of poor girl fall in love with rich boy and the parents are always against it. That work both way with the boy in love with rich girl. Sometime the writers and the directors think viewers are BRAINLESS.

When it come to Korean Top best Male actors in my opinion who always will be in the best dramas and give the best acting is Jang Hyuk ( Money Flower ) and actor Ji Sung ( The Devil Judge ) Those two male actor whatever drama they are in it will be the best. And usually the best Korean actors male or female will always be cast in the drama with the best writers and directors. A drama of 10 stars +.

I have been a Viki member here way over 5 years or more I have seen good and bad drama come and go but I thank Viki for being here no matter what our taste in Asian drama is, just go and enjoy the different collections of all Asians dramas.

2 Likes

Might have specialized due to having less artistic freedom in the other genres.

It’s called Makjang in Korean. That genre is awful no matter the language.

3 Likes

Well, I’m guessing you haven’t been here when Viki was Viki and not Rakuten Viki :wink: so you might not know.

5 Likes

I have no idea what you are talking about… :thinking:

3 Likes

Hi @mirjam_465,
Here in the :us_outlying_islands: US of A, :us_outlying_islands: that’s how NF started, their irl pick up/drop off service after renting a show by VHS/CD, and returning to NF. :wink:
Pretty much like a library’s book return, after going to the library to borrow books etc. :blush:

The store below was who they went up against.

!https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/10/business/blockbuster-store-super-bowl-commercial/index.html

:joy: You found it! Haha! Out in the more rural areas, they were so much smaller, and all you had was a little red box at the edges of a plaza strip of stores. Little did we know their very near future impact.

3 Likes

Think K-Drama Wave. :wink:

Love this genre myself! :blush:

I actually love these, :rofl: it’s the drama of all our real lives! Even dna test results are not 100% reliable. Maybe 90% reliable.
I tell ya, these very shows started the K-drama wave. :wink:
I watched several before coming to Viki. Some are here, and some have just come back to Viki’s platform. I suspect we’ll get even more, as the license gets easier to acquire.

2 Likes