Large appliance that looks like a speaker?

I’ve noticed in a few shows lately, that the more expensive living rooms have what looks like a huge white speaker (between 5 and 6 feet tall appx) though there is only ever one so it’s definitely not a speaker. It looks to have silver speaker cones on the front but they are too flat. I’m guessing at an air con/purifier/humidifier…something along those lines? Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it is both a humidifier and a desiccator, depending on the air moisture at any point in time. And probably a purifier, as you say, especially nowadays when their air is so contaminated with small particles.

Very ugly thing to have in the house. Newer houses/buildings will have it installed in the ventilation system. But the old traditional Korean houses don’t have such artificial ventilation systems. There is probably a less optimal natural way for an old house like that to be ventilated. But that would require modern people to know how the traditional airing works, so that they don’t mess it up by trying to “fix” drafts in these houses.

3 Likes

I found out they serve as humidifier and Air conditioners. Some can even heat up the house too (the modern ones). I always found them so ugly and not appealing to see in the Living room but because of the huge lack of space in SK apartment they had to be designed that way (that’s what I read in the article).

They are more modernized look now, and most are black and silver that looks like 2 speakers one in top of the other, but I still don’t want that in my Living room. It takes away so much from your decoration and space too; although they claim it ‘‘saves space’’ I don’t agree with that statement. Too bulky still.

2 Likes

Ah that’s great. Thank you both :slight_smile: I was googling around. the internet but could only find what looked like regular wall mounted air con systems. It threw me a little because I saw one in a show from kast year and there’s one in “What Happens to My Family`” which I’m currently watching but is around 8 years old or so. I assumed over 8 years the design would have changed quite dramatically.

I know a lot of people here in the U.K though, who buy speakers similar in size but then you have to have two of them in your room!!

2 Likes

Are these the ones? Found the article.
SAMSUNG Electronics Levant and UPB partnered to launch two fully-fledged service centers exclusively for SAMSUNG’s AC units

2 Likes

Yeah those are what I’ve been seeing :slight_smile: They are huge!! Thanks for finding that!!

2 Likes

@mrbungle85_573

These are huge because they were ordered by a company in Jordan; so they will be used in their companies which tells me they must be very efficient.

2 Likes