Learning about new things to say from Kdramas

So I have been watching the Kdramas for almost a year now, and I’ve come to recognize some common phrases that occur in them. Some I understand what they mean, but I don’t understand where the phrase comes from. For example, I know that “Daddy Longs Legs” means your benefactor or something similar. But where does the phrase come from? I’m very curious. I understand “I’ll never leave alone” and I understand “I’ll go first/I’ll leave first” because they’re more direct. The Daddy Long Legs one only makes me think of a spider. hehe There’s also “Aigoo” and “Fighting”. I love learning about their origins. If you know any other interesting phrases and where they originate, I would love to hear more. :slight_smile:

Daddy-Long-Legs is a 1912 epistolary novel by the American writer Jean Webster. It follows the protagonist, a young orphan girl through her college years. She writes the letters to her benefactor, a rich man whom she has never seen. She thinks he must be an old gentleman. But she then goes to meet him in the big city and they fall for each other.
It’s best known by the 1955 film adaptation with Fred Astair and Leslie Caron.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daddy-Long-Legs_(novel)

1 Like

Is the Korean term close in translation or is it a “take the fifth” thing?

I see. Although I’ve heard of a few older books and movies, that’s one I haven’t heard of. Thanks for answering that for me :slight_smile:

1 Like