Let Us Talk About Depression

Depression is a real thing, not just in Korea, but all over the world. It is not something that you can overlook, and it is definitely not something of which to be ashamed. Depression is a kind of sadness that persists day after day after day, until you being to think that it will never get any better. Unfortunately, even in this day and age of Cloud Computing and Facebook and YouTube, there is still this terrible stigma associated with Depression.

“Oh, you are crazy!!” “Can you even do your job properly?!”

Because of such fears, like being considered crazy or risk getting fired, many choose not to speak up and talk about their mental anguish. Depression, however, is not something that you can handle on your own. Outside help is required. If you just ignore it or keep it bottled inside you, it can get to a point where nothing makes sense anymore. Dark thoughts slowly begin to creep up on you when you least expect it. You just want the pain to end already. Death seems like a viable solution at first, but in reality it does not solve anything. We are all different, as are our experiences. Depression stems from various sources that are unique to each individual, so there is not a singular, all-encompassing solution, certainly not Death.

Studies show that more women are depressed than men, but that could not be further from the truth. It is just that women open up more easily about Depression than men do. After all, a man has to be strong. He has to endure the hardships of life, without complaining. He cannot show his weaker side.

“I am a manly man, so I will never talk about my feelings!!”

Well, that is complete hogwash!! Depression does not care about your gender. Let me tell you this much. It does not care about wealth, either. You could be incredibly successful and rich, while still dealing with Depression.

So what is there to do? Well, the first step is to admit that you are just not feeling well, that you are sad, lacking the energy and desire to do anything, including things that were once fun. The second step to reach out. Do not be afraid to talk about it. Tell your family, tell your friends. Ultimately, seek professional help. It really could save your life. Yes, it is worth saving!!

#Depression #SpeakingOut #NeverGivingUp #OneDayAtATime

List of suicide crisis lines:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suicide_crisis_lines?oldformat=true

AMBER 엠버 ‘Borders’ MV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNT-zFJKifI

1 Like

Accepting we suffer from depression and seeking counseling is the first step. The second one, is to me the most important one, taking medicine for this condition. I use to refuse to take medicine for depression bc I was afraid to become ‘‘addicted’’ to them, but that was far from the truth. You don’t become ‘‘addicted’’ and you can stop using them once you get better. Medicine is not for a lifetime.At least, for some is not a lifetime thing.

You can at one point leave the pills, and start a new beginning of life without depression. I remember before I started to accept I needed to take the medicine that I would wake up angry that I was alive, that I ‘‘woke up’’ and didn’t die.Every morning as soon as my opened my eyes, and I put my feet on the floor, I would say ‘‘I wish I die’’ ‘‘I want to die’’ ‘‘I have to live through another miserable day’’ I immediately ran to the bathroom to cry so my kids didn’t see me crying and start asking me questions.

What saved my life was meeting a very young psychologist that had been severely abused as a child by his mother. He had chosen that profession so he could help others that like him were abused and scar for life. I kept telling him I didn’t wanted the medicine but he told me that medicine was necessary, and I would never get better until I start taking them. He showed me the pills on his cabinet, they were his pills. One day, he told me; I won’t have to take them but for now this is part of my own healing.

Once I started taking medicine for depression those dark thoughts slowly started to disappear, and today I’m amazed how no matter what I go through I wake up ready to face whatever comes through that day. Now my first thought is, One more day, here I come to face whatever comes along the way because I need to be here for the ones I love and need me so much.’’ If I ever need to start the medicine, I would do it in an instant, but for now I’m ok without them.

Thank you, adrian.

2 Likes

Thank you also for sharing your story! I’m glad you met someone who could genuinely help you. I’m glad that you got over it too. I wasn’t so sure about medication to tell the truth, but your story has made me reconsider.

1 Like

When you see a person in that field telling you that without medicine it will be hard to heal from your depression, and then showing you the medicines he, himself had to take, I certainly didn’t had any doubt I needed them, too. I wish I had found him sooner in my life bc I would have avoided so many things in my life I went through bc I refused to take medicine.

The one I used to take was PROZAC bc he told me it was not addictive, and easy to stop when you feel you don’t need them anymore. Everything has side effects, so what worked for me, might not work for you. But they have many others in the market that might work for you.

Sadly, Kathy Spade, a very popular fashion designer and yesterday a famous French Chef committed suicide. Now they are afraid that suicide will spike up bc after Robin Williams (comedian actor) committed suicide 2,000 more committed suicide in what they call ‘‘copycat’’ suicide. One of the survivors, a young girl said she felt if he could do it, I can do it too. Luckily, she survived and she’s talking about the need to be more alert to the signs of a possible suicide.

It is important to NOT mention method of suicide in reporting as this can lead to possible suicide contagion, or “copycat suicide.”

https://afsp.org/about-suicide/for-journalists/.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF7SRQFd49E

What?! How?! Of course I know Anthony Bourdain. He even visited my country.
May he rest in peace… ;(

1 Like