Viki

Let's talk about the Reviews and Ratings!

Actually, the two sections are apart even on the Viki website. They are just one under the other.

The section for Reviews and Ratings looks like this:

While the section for Comments has its own separate field for entering text.

The truth of the matter is, because Comments are under Reviews, they’re clearly down prioritised by Viki. A random user is going to write a Review and not even know there is such a thing as a Comment.

one more reason is that as soon as you’re done watching a show, Viki prompts you with that ‘Wanna Rate this Show?’ page, so even people who don’t really want or know how to review might just give it 1 or 10 stars to leave the page. I do that with WhatsApp and Teams feedback pages(that ‘Rate Your Experience’ page that pops up after you finish a call), what’s to stop people from doing it on Viki?

Okay I’m a little mad over the fact that Kiss Goblin went from being rated 9.6 to 9.3
To be fair, it deserves a 9.3, but you can blame my being emotionally connected to it :joy:. I seriously loved the filler-ness of it. Short and sweet fluffy candy.
However, THIS is what annoys me(I’m just letting of steam, so not everything might be coherent :grimacing:):
okay, the show is for 14-18 year olds. So is it BAD for 14-18 year olds? Why bring down the rating because it doesn’t cater to your age group?

If teleporting and time travelling isn’t your thing DON’T RATE IT! I feel like ratings should be done by people who take production, acting as well as STRENGTH of storyline instead of what the storyline is. Why bring down a rating just because you hate the genre itself?

This doesn’t even need explanation :roll_eyes: yes, rate it low because it’s too short.

She didn’t get choked and everyone’s stories pretty much ended well.

Of my soapbox. I apologize for taking your time.

https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000175408-Reviews-guidelines-and-best-practices

Once again, something useful is buried inside Help Center.

Is it just me or has Viki done some changes? I watched a few movies here on Viki recently, and the “Rate this show” page never showed up at the end.

If this is a real change, I’m grateful. This will surely cut down on a lot of unwanted, unnecessary “reviews”

So now Reviews section is also up for conversations? :kissing:

Your laugh for the day

Aaaargh! This is a new low.

Your laugh for the day

They really are on a thread like no other, :sob::joy::rofl::rofl: I am done! :rofl:

Pure poetry! I am awestruck by the intricacy of their thinking processes. :nerd_face:

Why can someone write a review on a drama that is not yet available? And I can’t. I can’t even if the drama isn’t available in my region, although I may have seen it elsewhere.

I was pleasantly surprised with the “Melancholia” page: reviews weren’t available before the drama aired. I’m sorry I didn’t make a screenshot, because now of course it’s airing and reviews are there. The main talk is, again, about the age gap between the actors, just like in Young Lady and a Gentleman, and moreover why there will be a romance between ex teacher with her ex student which American reviewers find gross.

I try to stay away from MDL reviews. I’ve watched shows that I absolutely loved but then see reviews bashing it for the littlest things. Esp. the comments about a plot not being realistic enough… Like, hello? You’re watching a DRAMA. This is not a documentary.

I understand not a lot of people like plots that have lots of cliches, but that’s the whole point of a work of fiction.

Oh this is ONE thing that just keeps getting on my nerves!!:rage::rage: Everyone seems to want to have a “unique” opinion, and that makes them say the weirdest things. I just can’t understand why they’re so obsessed with everything being “realistic” and 100% politically correct about every single thing :roll_eyes: They just suck out all the fun of watching dramas and being entertained. I have no problem if someone wants to voice their opinions, but over-exaggerating the tiniest details really throws a wet blanket over the fun I could have had watching the drama.

It gives me a pre-bias feeling about a drama and I hate it. I start scrutinizing all the things they point out when I wouldn’t think much of it normally.

That’s why I don’t read MDL reviews, I only skim reviews here looking for certain thing that irritate me, nasty love rivals and horrid mother-in-laws irk me too much, lol So often other things are blown out of proportion, age gaps being a big one.

It’s the double-edged sword of reading reviews. I read them because I have to know if it is a good ending. I do not do sad or tragic, and I don’t want to be blind-sided. But that also means I come across too much information about other things, too. I’ve just learned to take everything with a grain of salt.

Agree, same! If there’s an ex that takes up too much screentime, I skip. MIL are extremely annoying.

The age gap haters are odd. People want the leads to be same age or 1-2 year difference but as soon as it’s anything more than 3 they draw the line. :roll_eyes:

Most of the time if there is a big age gap, like 5+ years, it will be listed in the drama details. Why do people even bother leaving complaints?

i skim through the reviews and then check the comments because someone always asks about the ending

I do the same on MDL. It really depends on how familiar I am with a drama beforehand anyway. If I’m completely unfamiliar, I will do more in-depth ‘research’. :grin:

If something looks suspiciously like it’ll have a tragic ending, I go read recaps of the ending.

Thank goodness for ppl who do recaps. (Don’t bother with reviews lol)