Local Food and Drinks

Hmm, I’m not sure if there are any specifically Canadian dishes…but there are a few things that my grandmother used to make, and there’s a convenience brownie recipe I found online that tastes really good. So the first recipe is the Christmas cake. I don’t have my grandma’s recipe, but i think it’s roughly similar to this:

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/dark_christmas_cake.php

The note I would make to this is that the dough takes a LOT of time to stir (while it says stir occasionally, I remember my grandmother telling me to constantly stir). In the end it comes out looking sort of like a new type of coleslaw (colour wise), but it gets fairly dark when its cooked. We always used to cook it in banana bread containers. This can be stored for a longggg time if it’s wrapped properly (in cheesecloth I think?) and stored in the fridge. I remember we had one cake for about a year? We also don’t put icing on ours.

For the convenient recipe…it’s a Brownie in a cup recipe I found online awhile ago. It takes about 5 minutes to make (in total, unless the phone rings when you’re getting out ingredients or something). I’ve experimented with this recipe a bit, and it generally comes out different if the ingredients or microwave settings are different. But, since it has no eggs: I’ve never gotten sick when it was a touch undercooked.

Ingredients

• Microwave safe coffee mug (no aluminum, no gold-rimmed edges) with constant circumference from top to bottom
  • 2tbsp water
  • 2tbsp oil (I use olive oil)
  • 4tbsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 4 tbsp flour (not the self rising stuff)

While this isn’t my recipe, I can’t actually find the source anymore and I also have developed my own addendum’s to the instructions, so I’ll list what I can remember here :3

• In a regular coffee mug, Mix the water and oil in together and stir for a bit (I’m sure it doesn’t do much, but I find it affects the result).
  • add in the sugar, and stir until it doesn’t quite look like just sugar anymore - it should change colour slightly to match the oil.
  • add the cocoa powder, and make sure to stir this in really good too. It should be a little thicker now, but if it’s still runny that’s okay too.
  • once you’ve gotten all the cocoa mixed in so that it’s smooth, add in the flour one tbsp at a time and mix each in very well before adding the next. You can add in all 4 at once, but it makes it super thick super fast and it doesn’t always cook right. It’s easier to make sure it gets distributed properly if you mix it one tbsp at a time.
  • the batter should look similar to a thick brownie mixture, and not as loose as cake mix.
    N.B. If your batter is still a little runny once all the flour is mixed in, you can add a little bit more flour or sugar. I wouldn’t suggest too much though. If it is still a little runny, just make sure to cook it a little bit longer.
  • cook in the microwave on high/default for about a minute and a half (1:30) for older microwaves or a minute and ten seconds (1:10) for newer. I have cooked it all the way up to about a minute and fifty seconds because my microwave is super old (14 years). I find that you can take it out, check, and if it’s not done: put it back in for another 10 seconds. Don’t overcook it though!! The middle should look solid (although moist), and sometimes it pulls away from the edges of the cup. If it’s still soupy/too moist in the middle, try microwaving it for another few seconds.
  • your coffee mug will be VERY hot, so handle it with care/oven mitts. You can eat the brownie straight from the cup or scoop it out onto a plate.
  • If you want to make this brownie SUPER sweet: get a bowl and mix about a cup of icing sugar, a tbsp or two of softened butter, and a tiny bit (maybe a teaspoon?) of vanilla flavour/extract. Mix this up with a fork, sort of beating the mixture/twirling the fork around, until it looks like frosting should - it’ll turn an offwhite colour, and there will be no more butter or icing sugar visible. If it starts to clump, you can add a tiny bit of milk but I find the vanilla extract is more than enough to moisturize it. Anyways - this is essentially two portions of buttercream icing so you can add some of it to your brownie when it finishes cooking =)
3 Likes

Gotta try the 5 min brownie recipe! Thanks!

1 Like

we always eat it with salt and pepper instead of sugar, tastes great, too!! :slight_smile:

Well, in Indonesia I can easily found some foods which foreigner didn’t have it, I guess.

Otak-otak (from Riau Islands, Indonesia)

Otak means brain. But not the real brain we’re eating. It made of fish or some cuttlefish inside and wrap with palm leaves along the stick. It tastes spicy. I could say it was a very cheap foods, it only cost 1.500 IDR for each stick.

Mie Bangka (from Bangka Belitung, Indonesia)

It called Mie Bangka because it came from Bangka Belitung. I don’t know what it called in English, maybe Bangka Noodle. It made of noodles and porks/chicken. Plus some limes. Focus on the plate with ‘Masako’ not the meatballs or the chillies. Here’s the video how to make it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0A8U35Q05c

Ingredients :smile:
Noodles 500g
Vegetable oil 1 tablespoon
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
Chicken meat 250g (cut into small pieces)
mushroom 150g (cut into pieces)
oyster sauce 2 tablespoons
Sweet soysauce 1 tablespoon
Soy sauce 1 tablespoon
Pepper half teaspoon
Salt 1 teaspoon
Water 200mL

Ingredients for the soup:
Chicken broth 500mL
a clove of garlic (minced)
scallion 1 tablespoon

Additions ingredients:
4 stalks of mustard (cut into pieces and boiled)
Sprouts 100g (wash/clean)
fried onions 2 tablespoons

How to Make Bangka Chicken Noodle:

1. Boil some water, put the noodles until cooked and float. Remove and drain.
  2. Pour a little vegetable oil or chicken oil and soy sauce in a bowl. 3 Enter the noodles are still hot, stir until blended.

How to Make Chicken Stir-fry:

1. Heat a little oil and saute garlic until fragrant.
  2. Add the chicken, then stir until chicken stiff and discolored.
  3. Add spices and water. Cook until cooked and slightly dry. Lift.
    Presenting way Bangka chicken noodle:
  4. those noodles into 5 sections in the bowl.
  5. Each topping or toppings give bean sprouts, cabbage, stir-fry chicken and sprinkle with fried onions and sliced scallion.
  6. Serve hot with chicken broth.
  7. Optional: onliners pal can add fried wonton or dumpling wet if liked. And also add the sambal sauce, soy sauce, chili sauce and chicken noodle or tomato sauce if desired.

Pempek or Empek-Empek (from Palembang)

Pempek is a typical food made of fish and sago. There’s also sauce called ‘cuko’ in Palembang. Cuko made from boiled water, then add brown sugar, dried shrimp and shrimp mashed chili, garlic, and salt. For the indigenous people of Palembang, cuko of the first made spicy to increase appetite. Cuko can protect teeth from caries (damage to enamel and dentin). The recipe can be found here http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/pempek-palembang-indonesia-fish-cake--3391

Talking about foods really make me drooling in front of my laptop. :blush:

2 Likes

Since I mentioned Oliebollen (which traditionally are eaten on new year in The Netherlands) in an other topic I was like hey I can share a recipe here. :slight_smile: I simply love them specially when they are freshly made or from a special pastry stand. Supermarkets sell them too when new year is coming but in all those years I haven’t found any which taste good. (Maybe I’m picky?). You can buy them all year round at mobile pasty stands.

Ingredients (for about 20 oliebollen):
1kg bloem (flour, can be wheat flour, all purpose flour)
1 liter lauwe melk ( lukewarm milk)
80 gram gist (yeast)
80 gram zachte boter (soft butter)
50 gram witte basterdsuiker (white caster sugar but I guess normal sugar will work fine too)
3 eieren (eggs)
Citroensap (bit of lemon juice)
zout (bit of salt)
Zonnebloemolie voor het frituren (Sunflower oil to deep fry but rice oil is ok too, no olive oil, makes them taste bad.)

Instructions:

• Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm milk.
  • Do the flour in a large bowl, add the eggs, butter sugar and slowly add the milk, mix well till you have a nice smooth dough. At some lemon juice and then a bit of salt.
  • Let it rest to rise for 30 minutes or a bit more at a warm spot.

To deepfry make sure your oil is about 175 degrees and use a wet soup ladle or icecream scoup to add the balls to the oil. Deepfry them for about 5 minutes. Don’t add to many at once they need some room.

Sprinkle them with iced sugar to serve. And of course you can also add bits of banana, apple, raisins to the dough or maybe some cinnamon.

For the last few years we are lazy and use a special olliebollen mix so we only have to add a few things :stuck_out_tongue:

Ohh and a little extra:
Oliebol = only one
Oliebollen = when there is more then one oliebol.

1 Like

Dankuwel, Dudie!!!

Graag gedaan (you’re welcome) :smile: , so I guess you will make some for new year too? :wink:

Forgot to mention something: Oliebollen taste the best when still warm but you can eat them cold too. :smile:

I would most probably make it next week first, to see if I got it right or not :smile:
This reminds me of my childhood as my Oma was so dutch-minded so we used to eat things like this. I grew up having breakfast like bread with chocolate sprinkles (what you call them? mesjes or something?) and dip it into tea. My husband still thinks it’s weird whenever he sees me having my breakfast. LOL.

Aha, then you must know “Kruidnoten” or “Pepernoten” too I guess which we do eat for “Sinterklaas”? :smile:

Chocolate sprinkles are called “Hagelslag”. We also have “vruchtenhagel” which is fruit flavor sprinkles.
With “mesjes” I think you mean “Muisjes”? Tiny white with either blue or pink sprinkles which we eat when a baby is born.

I don’t dip my breakfast in my tea but sometimes I do with cookies, depends on which, yum :smile:

It’s a little late, but I want to show you my oliebollen, which I made for New Year’s eve celebration:

My husband and kids loved it, my friends loved it too!
Thank you for sharing the recipe, @Dudie!

5 Likes

@auroratasya I’m glad they turned out well and everyone loved them, did they taste as good as your grandmothers?
My oliebollen didn’t taste very good, we got a oliebollenmix in our christmas box (over here some companies give you a christmas box with food, presents and the like for christmas to thank their staff) and I don’t know what was wrong with it but they didn’t turn out good.

it looks sooooo delicious!!! wanna tryyyyyyyyy :stuck_out_tongue:

@siemprebien33 and @deak_lidia, in my country we also have this dish. It’s so tasty! And, it’s so right that it’s mostly eaten in winter, it just warms the heart… and belly. Cabbage rolls remind me of a hearty Christmas dinner with the family.

Here’s my recipe for Cabbage Rolls. :yum:

So, first of all, it’s the same food. Cabbage rolls with pork meat.

SARMALE - CU CARNE DE PORC

[EN: CABBAGE ROLLS - WITH PORK MEAT]

It’s a custom in my country to prepare different pickled vegetables since autumn, so the cabbage has enough time to slowly and gently pickle. It’s usually about 10-15 kilos of cabbage, but I’ll spare you the many numbered quantities.

Pre-Recipe - Varză acră (Pickled cabbage)

• Ingredients:

• 1 cabbage

• dry dill

• corn seeds

• water

• a jar big enough to put the cabbage whole in it

• Instructions:

1. Wash the cabbage and cut its core out. In there, put enough salt (about 2-3 spoons) to cover the emptied core. Add there the dry dill and corn seeds.
    2. In the sterilized jar, on its bottom sprinkle some salt, add a few corn seeds and more dry dill.
    3. Now, place the cabbage in the jar. Of course, the salt mixture from the cabbage must face upwards so it doesn’t spill.
    4. Add water up to the mouth of the jar. Seal it. Place the jar in a pantry or somewhere cool for a few weeks - months.

Recipe - Sarmale (Cabbage rolls)

You’ll see I didn’t specify most quantities for the filling’s ingredients. That’s because it’s up to you. If you want more onions or pepper or paprika(hot/sweet/smoked), do so.

• Ingredients:

• a pickled cabbage + some diced pickled cabagge

• between 500gr and 1 kg pork meat (or a pork+beef mix), it all depends on the cabbage’s size

• pepper, to taste

• salt, to taste

• paprika, to taste

• dry or fresh thyme

• fine sliced onions

• pork seasoning mix, you can find it at the supermarket

• 2 tablespoons tomato paste

• 2-3 bay leaves

• Instructions:

1. In a big pot, spread on its bottom the diced pickled cabbage with the tomato paste and the bay leaves.
  2. Mix the pork meat with pepper, salt, paprika, thyme, sliced onions and the pork seasoning mix.
  3. Break each leaf of the cabbage and in each leaf put a small portion of the pork filling.Fold it and roll it.
  4. Place each cabbage roll in the pot, in a circular way, so you can have more room. Or if the pot is rectangular, just line them up, all the better for you.
  5. Cook on the stove for ~45 minutes, at 180°C.

It is served with warm polenta (recipe here), cold sour cream and a hot pepper. :yum:

Poftă bună! / Bon apetit!

1 Like

I really want to eat it, but unfortunately i cannot find this kind of noodles in my country :disappointed: :sob:

reminds me of the turkish dish “sarma” not sure if i or anybody posted that already

in this case they were made with vine leaves but mom also makes them like this with cabbage. In the inside there is rice with meat and tomatopaste. you can add what you want i think depends on your taste

2 Likes

isnt this Balkan food?
We have exactly the same thing in Arab countries the cabbage and the grape leaf.

1 Like

and it’s really tasty :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

LOL well actually not just “turkish”… I am kurdish and we make this dish… you must be right :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m surprised nobody posted any french dish so far, let me have this pleasure then ^^

Everyone probably knows our “Crêpes bretonnes”, never fail to mezmerize me… you can make them salty or sweet. You need to use different types of flour. Let me write you my grandmother recipe for the sweet ones.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8016/7604390194_93d9c36e26.jpg

• 300 g of white flour
  • 2 spoons of buckwheat flour
  • 3eggs
  • 80g of sugar
  • 1/2 L of milk
  • 1 sachet of vanilla sugar
  • 1/2 sachet of baking powder
  • a bit of salt

Mix all of the ingedients except the milk that you pour little by little while mixing.
To make the dough lighter (air it, I don’t know if it means smth in english though ^^), use a mixeur or blender (it’s better if it’s one you can use with your hands though.) Destroy the lumps ^^ you should have smth liquid.

And that’s it, after this you just need to put small quantities of the dough in a frying pan with butter and turn it upside down once a side is cooked :slight_smile: you should have a dozen of them. Try to make them thin and you can put whatever you want on them, sugar, chocolate, sirop, honey, flaked almonds…

Oh I almost forgot, it’s excellent with cider :smiley:

3 Likes

Ooww I love those so bad… thankfully, I have lots of delicatessen (is that the word for people who make food of their country for the clients to take away?><) shops in the neighbourhood!