Long subtitles

If some subbers add breaks it can happen that they have to remove it from all parts afterwards because the breaks are usually checked within the community from both, other subbers, mods and viewers who’re volunteers at the same time.

That’s why you can’t do that in my language.

2 Likes

I do believe that the centered text is way more “reading friendly” and I am in two separate sides of the equation. On the Portuguese team I do add the breaks, and on the English team I don’t. This breaks are a temporary solution for a change that Viki should provide. I have Roku and the last update was heaven. The subs now show the break and the subs are arranged in the middle of the screen. Like Netflix already do. Viki should add the “length of the text” as a feature to chose along with the size and color of the text. Much easier than we manually adding breaks one sub at a time. If we add, on Viki app on cell will be good, but on Roku for example, the line will be double because the limit there to keep in the middle is different. I don’t know if you understand. But, in the end, is just some internal adjustment that Viki’s team can arrange to make the viewers lives better.

6 Likes

Viki should add more settings to choose from when viewing subs. More sizes, different fonts and perhaps colors. Different people prefer certain settings most comfortable to their reading habits.

This would help so much if the texts weren’t so far apart from each other.

3 Likes

Hmm… that’s a fair point. I haven’t checked how it looks on the app.

HOWEVER, again, we shouldn’t have to be interested in this. If it bothers the people watching on the app, Viki should create a separate copy of the sub file without breaks to apply to the app. Sub file is probably the smallest of the files involved in video rendering.

1 Like

Does this mean that the break problem is now fixed on Roku?

Do you mean that the Subtitle Editor would add automatic breaks? I’ve seen it done in some subtitle programs and the breaks in my language were too often placed in awkward positions. There are some rules when one should insert a break in Croatian. And the subtitle program doesn’t know how to do it because it doesn’t know what a verb is :grin:

1 Like

On mine is. :blush:

No. I mean on the Viki app to watch the show. On the preferences where you chose the size, color etc. It should be also the length of the sub. To adjust in the center of the screen.

6 Likes

So the brackets are for the next sentence? Is that always the case?Here I was thinking it was someone thinking to themselves.

There are so many dramas where people talk outloud to themselves instead of just narrating. I wish they would do that more. They give out long speeches walking down the street or doing the dishes. lol Maybe I’m noticing it too much.

Sorry to hyjack.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

yes @cerejacult Is correct, users are able to alter the appearance of subtitles within the system settings on various devices. I have particular knowledge of Amazon fire TV devices and android devices (both mobile devices and TV) unfortunately, these settings seem to be particularly well hidden. I don’t for the life of me understand why that is. Below is a link to a topic where in two separate replies I detailed how to access the subtitle settings on both Amazon fire TV devices and android TV devices

For me personally, the two most important settings for subtitle appearance are subtitle/text size and subtitle background colour. Reducing subtitle text size should stop parts of subtitle lines from being cut off.

Although it is fair to say that fire TV devices are better for large screen viewing as the subtitle settings with respect to text size or incremental. On android TV devices. If you change the subtitle text size small, allowing the long subtitle line to be display correctly. Some may not be able to see subtitles clearly from a distance. The difference in text size between small and medium on android TV devices is too large.

Subtitle appearance settings can also be changed and Viki’s browser-based player on the website
My typical subtitle settings are as follows
subtitle/text size: small
subtitle colour and subtitle background colour : white text on a black background

2 Likes

Usually when someone is talking out loud, the subs are italic

2 Likes

Not if he actually speaks and opens his mouth while doing so. Only in thoughts.

1 Like

@funinthesunkauai_173

The brackets in the past used to separate the dialogue in the drama between two people/actors < br >…(in same segment)
Person # 1: How are you? < br >
Person # 2: I’m fine, thank you.

Italics < i > < /i > I used them in the past for various reason.
When the character/actor/actress is thinking (not talking) and we have to write the sentence/subtitle for the viewer to see.

The italics I used them when the face of the person talking is not seen on the screen, but we still need to write the subtitle bc is part of the scene.

Now, lately all these things are no longer needed because they make that long sentence many people are complaining about (myself included). I feel it looks sloppy, and is very annoying since by the time you finish reading this long sentence, the other subtitle comes into view. You either have to back up 10 seconds or pause to finish reading the darn long sentence that covers the whole screen. Also, as you read in this thread, these long subtitles affect a lot the people with dyslexia condition.

I don’t use ROKU, but did for a short while about 5/6 years ago? and I did see the subtitles splattered all over the screen, and was for me very difficult to read the subs; so I returned it where I bought it, and got a refund. I don’t know if this problem still exist or was resolved, but I don’t use it anymore. so this issue is totally irrelevant for me.

That’s on my personal observation, and I’m not talking for the general public (other countries) some people here tend to think that when I’m talking/writing is to the ‘‘whole world’’ in here. I only mention what I experienced (for example with ROKU) here in USA. I don’t know what works here in USA, that doesn’t work in different European/other countries, and to be honest, I don’t care to know. It’s too much information to grasp that I really I don’t need because is not personally affecting me.

Here at RViki site some people suffer from adding unnecessary words in their translation/ subtitle to add more ‘‘contribution counts’’ in their profile page. In the past < br > count as words which added a HIGH number of contribution in their page, too.

What I always say here that they need to worry more about giving Quality in their work, than a high Quantity of words in their subtitles just for contribution count. They should feel proud of a job well done by them, and that should be their first and foremost priority.

We have here TEAMS with (I heard) 100 people? 30…40 etc. I can tell you, on my part in the 2 language I know: English/Spanish, if there are 100 about 40 to 50 of them will use Google translator (I have evidence). I don’t accuse without proof; that itself would be a crime. There are people here that are always saying: I know Spanish I had it in College but when you see the subtitles in their page it’s obviously ALL Google translate subtitles.

Unless we can speak, read, and write a Language, and have a ‘‘GOOD knowledge of its grammar usage in that language’’’ we can’t say we know that language, and many subbers do just that here at this site. They are even assigned as EDITORS in dramas here which is a shame to see that continuing to happen as I write this words.

It’s a cycle that hasn’t been broken because they no longer have a viki staff working here so that when you report this people/subbers they are removed and or suspended. Shockingly, these same subbers that years after years are here, should have improved/learn something by now, but they stay just as bad as they were many years back. The reason being; that they don’t take their time to learn from doing the work themselves, but continue to use their buddy/buddy/viki bot/ GT/translation tools, and all you see in the chat that ‘‘lista! ‘’(’‘Finished’’ or ‘‘done!’’). When I go to check their subs (the one I suspect used GT etc) it never fails, plenty of Quantity of subtitles that have very little Quality in them bc they are full of plenty mistakes.
Are you doing volunteer work here?

Sorry for the litany :anguished::

More litany …:rofl:

funinthesunkauai_173There are so many dramas where people talk outloud to themselves instead of just narrating. I wish they would do that more. They give out long speeches walking down the street or doing the dishes. lol Maybe I’m noticing it too much.

Yes, they are doing that a whole lot in dramas now. It will be a nice feedback added here if you explain: Why or What is it that you like so much about that? I’m curious to know, and I’ll wait for YOur answer.

@spaufler_89

Personally, me/myself/ and I, would/ I have added the italics because the image I’m seeing is saying clearly to me: ‘‘I am [thinking] out loud.’’ The person is ‘‘thinking loud’’ not having a [Loud] conversation with another person. I have added the italics, and I feel it should be done bc like I said, the person is ‘‘thinking loud’’ which is another form of ‘‘thinking to him/herself.’’

But the person is moving his mouth and speaking audibly. Italics are used only with thoughts/offscreen, faraway voices/ computerized voices/ crowd voices/ not human voices

3 Likes

hi dear nice stuff shared

So I was observing and thinking for a solution here at RVIKi with these new ‘‘long subtitles,’’ and I know this new way of writing subs can also work here, if they take the time, and use the right staff to resolve the issue with such ‘‘never ending subs’’ in dramas (corner to corner).

For a while now, I observed the NETFLIX/PRIME/OTHERS subtitles… and they are using a just one (1) line, short sentence.
I need your phone.
next seg/next scene
I have to make a call.
next seg/next scene
Thank you…

So at this point I figured more segments will have to be added, and they’ll have to be much shorter (but not one second like I see here done lately). Viewers need time to read this subs, and some like myself, can read quite fast, but others are slow readers so it will be a bit annoying for them.

I have observed some Chinese dramas with this short subtitles, and they are working just fine. I hope this new way of writing subs can resolve the problem with these long subtitles that are not too pleasant to see in the screen, and can be difficult for some people with certain condition to adapt, too.

1 Like

This is a good example of small line subtitles (no corner to corner subs). It’s aligned well in the middle.

So far episode 1 of this drama is a good example.

https://www.viki.com/videos/1191275v

I’m unable to actually view the show because of the long subtitles ( from one end of the screen to the other) by the time i finish reading one… the next has started and i can’t focus on the characters. I don’t have This problem when watching Netflix. There isn’t a way to shorten the length of them either. i have changed the size to small and they still go from one end of the screen to the other. I would prefer them centered so i can watch the show and read them instead of missing it because I’m reading subs

3 Likes

I’ve been browsing the board trying to find if there’s a solution to this baffling terrible choice and it looks like there isn’t. What a shame. I love korean dramas but it’s virtually impossible to enjoy the show while constantly moving my eyes to keep up with the lack of line breaks.

Is there any alternative app that does korean dramas?

What I’ve found useful to do is to set my on-screen font size to a smaller setting. I also use a black background. This hlelps me enormously. To access font settings…

1. Start the show.

2. Click on the gear icon on the bottom left of the screen (#1 on the image) and then click on the language selection (#2 on the image)

1. Now select “Subtitle Appearance” (#3).

1. I then set the text size to “small” (#4) and, as mentioned above, I use a black background (#5).

1 Like

I know, right! It was a nightmare to translate, fortunately we had a Math expert as a subber, who was of great help!
And unfortunately the segments are not always long enough, because the next line of dialogue comes. What can one do, in such cases? Simplifying/condensing is not an option in this case, since these are already complicated concepts to grasp. And the characters throw around stuff all the time, which needs notes to be understood.

1 Like