Machine translation from Viki

Come to think of it, you correcting bot’s subs might be exactly what Rakuten wants and needs to improve their bot.

I’m assuming that the French community rightly refused to use bots suggestions thus far. Which would mean that Rakuten has no feedback information on how their bot is performing.

When you correct bot’s subs, this is a perfect way of forcing you all to give them this feedback information.

But obviously their AI is going to have to grow a pair of ears to recognise at least how many persons are participating in the conversation, and if they are male and female.

That goes completely against what they said in the letter. Could you… choose back the original man-made translation? Is it still there?

5 Likes

From what I see, for the dramas on which I’m on the team, they didn’t touch the subs which were already there. They “only” completed all parts which were not subbed yet.

Viki wants to fight against French Community? RIGHT! Let’s do it! But you have chosen one of the only countries in the world that has had two civil wars, where we have labor unions and we go on strike to show our dissatisfaction. Okay, let’s go!

27 Likes

We should actually.
We are known as the country of strikes.
We believe in democracy and vox populi.
We fight against despotism.

We will have strikes with yellow vests this weekend (again) and we had one on Monday about retiring money with lawyers, nurses.
Last week, we had train strikes, it was black Friday.
September is the month of strikes against new laws in France.

We learn from high school to defend our rights and go in the streets like it was in 1789, that is to say 230 years ago, French Revolution.
If people haven’t fought for our rights, we would never had better living conditions or be there.

Coming from USA, it is a shame. Country of freedom, where are you?

8 Likes

FRENCH COMMUNITY STRIKE! AVIS DE GREVE !

Please french contributors, take a look at it and send it to all your french contributors: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D1GGm5zrqIsTbO8949d2ocC0AgG0058oKa3mt8con-E/edit

ALL CONTRIBUTORS FROM THE WORLD, please HELP US and Send this to all your channel: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YTMWp5lmi0MYcMbONhS77Siq6GktBZNzyeqnjIAYlbo/edit

SUPPORT US!

Please sign our petition here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZzH0pF3dmQNeVWQrE-uHABb1JJariEkaHbzT6MgonN4/edit#gid=0

Please come and speak loud here.

Please send private message to vikistaff members:

https://www.viki.com/users/amyk/overview

https://www.viki.com/users/camiille/overview

https://www.viki.com/users/amm11/overview

https://www.viki.com/users/giant_sean/overview

WE NEED YOU!

18 Likes

@deval_chloe i can witness this, cause I am the German Mod. In the Morning the episode 38 was relaeased

1 Like

True,
I know only 5 active volunteers translating to my language, and we never work at the same project…

Bio[quote=“piranna, post:45, topic:25227, full:true”]
Coming from USA, it is a shame. Country of freedom, where are you?
[/quote]

Hey, hey! Let’s not throw shade on the USA. This isn’t about politics, it’s about corporate greed.

7 Likes

Voici le message que j’ai envoyé aux adresses que tu indiques. Je vais de ce pas regarder en anglais (ailleurs) la suite des dramas sur lesquels je traduisais.

Dear XXXX

viki staffmember, I’m afraid the automatic vikibot translation might lead many users to run away from the viki website. I’m in the translation team ‘my mowgli boy’ and I can see the bot translations. There are a lot of anglicisms, mistakes and misinterpretations. It is quite difficult for a French speaker to understand these bot translations. So why would anyone agree to watch a lot of advertisement or to pay for a translation no one can understand? Moreover some other websites offer free of charge French translations, with very few ads. They don’t have as many dramas as Viki, but still.

That’s the reason why, even though I love translating, I will join the French translating strike.

Grève from the French community!

16 Likes

Plus we don’t care, we are not even payed to volunteer.
On strike for an undefined time!

9 Likes

This is totally unrespectful. I am really speechless.

3 Likes

And also, technically, this is coming from Japan. As in, the headquarters of Rakuten.

3 Likes

This is really frustating! I also believe that french is the start and the next bomb will be spanish, german or the other languages. :disappointed_relieved: I really hope that the strike will at least give viki some sense with this mess.

5 Likes

It depends on their management.
Some structures have independant direction and can take their own decisions for each branch.
Then they have the general politics of the company that is followed in the group.
And inside the group, companies have different directions.
For ex: Price Minister or Viber (Rakuten) same group than Viki but different companies and different directions.

“Headquarters” doesn’t mean it’s the decision center. It depends on companies.

It could be Portuguese or Italian too. It could be a lot of other languages…

1 Like

This is awful, I’m sure they’re going to do the same with all languages…

1 Like

I have not yet read all the comment I am only at 27th
But there was the drama Mr. Swimmer mentioned Mr. Swimmer ep 38 I have had French in school it was my first foreign language, so I understand quite a bit, but only the first seconds. I thought - What is this?
The team name is Buddy Buddy the screen shows Birdie Buddy, are you kidding me … At least this much should be done correctly
Screenshot%20(507)
I can’t say much about the subs since I don’t speak Chinese and I do not have the time to watch it now.

3 Likes

Viki seriously? Leave the french community alone.

1 Like

Plus the team name of our French team for this drama is not the same as for the English Team, we usually have a name in French for our team (on almost all dramas).
So we chose it with the whole team. For this drama, it’s “l’équipe plus ou moins sportive” since it’s about swimming so nothing to do with what’s written there…
But how can a bot know that obviously…
Episode 38 was released this morning, so English subs should be good for this one, but for episodes 39 to 46 I prefer not to look at the French subs at all. Just looking at the opening song for episode 38 I have headache…

2 Likes

I can’t believe of all the languages Viki chose French.
France is my neighbor country if it is famous for one thing it is the spirit to come together and sit things out. If you are hard on French workers you will see them protesting I can’t imagine volunteers will be any different. We once had a strike here at Viki in the earlier years and our spokespersons were 2 French ladies. It was a “Flower Power” movement, in solidarity everyone put a flower into their avatar many old members still have this flower, maybe we should consider something like this as a sign. If my profile would work then I could just take it from there, but well …

3 Likes