Mistranslations

I have another pearl:

It was not funny enough that she wishes him good stool in the morning. No, they had to introduce the bowl.

3 Likes

Wow! You guys are funny. Posting pictures which have mistranslations.
Actually we can’t just depend on book, since there also human-error in the textbook. But we need to compare from 2 or 3 sources.

So, this mistranslation started off like this:

A boy and a girl are washing dishes. Suddenly he’s too close to her and she does this…

And then a few odd moments later, he’s asking her why were her eyes closed and…

*puckered :smile_cat:

and Iljimae is a historical, there shouldn’t be any slang like “bucks” for monetary value as well… or so I think and bucks mean also male deers, lol

2 Likes

An Italian flatmate from my time in Finland used some remarkable expressions in English:

To make the plates = to do the dishes (understandable, since Italian has the same word for doing
and making)

To make a shower = to shower

Once she was asking our English upstairs neighbour “Can I borrow your phone?”, so he handed her his phone, but she said: “No, your phone!”
He: “This IS my phone!”
She: “No, your phone!”
She meant his hairdryer. For me understandable, cause the Dutch word “föhn” also looks a bit like “phone”.

Oh, and another international student once was referring to contact lens solution as The juice for the lenses.

2 Likes

Sadly, yes.

Over the past few years, some of the Viki team translations have been superb and follow the script. The spelling was spot on and the team took their time doing the translation and segmentation.

Lately (Ever Night 2 for example), the translation has been rushed, the spelling awful and I can only guess that someone was using Google translate. I would prefer that translations took longer but were more accurate. Perhaps a proof reader who is native to the translation language would help.

Apart from that. Great site and love the shows.

Apparently someone once translated the word ‘serial killer’ with ‘havermoutmoordenaar’ in Dutch. If you translate it back to English you get ‘cereal killer’

7 Likes

Hahaha someone who kills cereal. I’d certainly be afraid of someone like that.

4 Likes

Watch out, they’re usually active in the morning! :rofl:

6 Likes

I’ve made a post about “blind idiot” translations with many choice examples from Engrish.com
[Viki Community Team] French Machine Translations

2 Likes

:rofl: I laughed at this way harder than I should have. How do you get havermout from cereal anyways? :laughing:

1 Like

Havermout is a form of ontbijtgranen. I remember some foreign students in Finland referring to it (or other kinds of porridge) as “hot cereal”. Although you can also use it cold …

Btw, cereal killer could not only refer to someone who kills cereal, but also to someone who uses cereal in some way to kill someone (just like the "Yellow Umbrella Murderer in Born Again).

1 Like

braised-food-with-balls-from-hometown
That explains the low birth rate.

crap-with-soy-sauce
some-inner-orgasm
four-engineering-department
Found at coffee shop in China selling pizza.

mosquito-net

please-feel-free-to-hang-your-employees

8 Likes

I’ve been hanging employees all day, so now I’m hungry. Let’s have some inner orgasm like a tube below stomach and braised food with balls from your hometown on the side.

Oh, crap with soy sauce! I’m stuck in a Mongolian net! :open_mouth:

4 Likes

Oh god, I laughed so hard, crap with soy sauce, lol :rofl:
A little difference with a huge effect or impact!!! :astonished: :laughing:

Keep them coming!! :pray:

you can continue to laugh here:
https://www.boredpanda.com/translation-fails/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

5 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I really cracked up with these translations! And I thought I’ve seen worse.
That’s the prize of being cultural incompetent. Tsk tsk tsk…:roll_eyes: (My apologies for my sarcasm)

1 Like

The old Paul McCartney conspiracy theory has returned!

Not a mistranslation per se, but open to misinterpretation for sure.
I found this left out by the cleaning crew in the office working late one evening. I do question the cleaning power of weeing on the carpet!

clean

Just a little spelling mistake:
afbeelding

afbeelding

afbeelding

afbeelding

afbeelding

afbeelding

afbeelding

afbeelding

afbeelding

afbeelding