Mr. Sunshine IS One Cinematic Drama!

Re: OST
I started studying Korean at university level 9 years ago because I wanted to understand Korean OST. I had seen a web site, Learning Korean through OST and thought it was an excellent idea. Since then, I have subtitled approximately 1000 OST in the over 200 K dramas I have worked on at viki.
I posted these on Soompi, which is owned by viki, a few days ago.
The Day Ost 1
Despite the harsh sunlight, the spring was beautiful.
The flower petals bloomed breathtakingly red over the fields

In the long endless night again the lushness blankets me.
Even if it is a dream, to leave again is cruel.
On a day when every wind stops
On a day when longing is allowed
With a feeling devoid of being strident
I will call you
End of refrain

Perhaps at the end of this life
If there is a day you might not be able to come
By the name which will not die down
I will call you

Our pain is another difference between you and me
It closes our eyes to the fate which intended each of us for the other

Refrain

In my dried up sea
There is but one red sun rising
It is an unforgettable dream
Which is so distant it cannot be reached

Perhaps at the end of this life
On the day we finally become one
It will call my splendid pain
It is all green.
ā€œTranslation Note: In the song, the word ķ‘øė„“ė¦„ is used several times. Literally it is the color blue-green but it used poetically as a symbol of youth, lushness, abundance.

OST 4. Sound
Stars spring buoyantly to mind
Together with you they come to mind

When I am rowing again
And my two hands are soaked
I keep thinking of you.

Tears drop
I brush them away because Iā€™ll get caught

You ā€¦ Why is the pain severe
As this in my heart again?

Start of refrain
From far far away a sound is heard
Your breath your voice
Even in a dream your sound hurts

Following the clouds
Following the wind
If I walk everyday
On the chance it may appear
Your beautiful smile
End of refrain

Starlight declines sharply
I recall you more

Today again I think about you over and over
My heart again hurts because of longing
But then whatā€™s wrong with missing you?
Refrain
Both anywhere you have walked
And anywhere which might not have a place for me to rest
There side by side
While holding your hand
I want to walk there

Thatā€™s what I want

You You
The name I long for
Your breath your voice
Even in a dream the sound of you hurts

You You
A sound which rings
If I call you every day
Just in case you will hear me
Iā€™ll shout like this

To you.

5 Likes

Thank you! :heart:

Turns out she is one of the leads in what could be called internationally the most successful Korean movie of 2017 - The Handmaiden! I watched that movie but forgot her face.

It seems she is really great in whatever she takes on. But for me, nobody can take the place of Kim Go Eun :blush:

1 Like

@cgwm808

[quote=ā€œcgwm808, post:21, topic:20175ā€]
Despite the harsh sunlight, the spring was beautiful.
The flower petals bloomed breathtakingly red over the fieldsā€¦

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I couldnā€™t translate the OST in Spanish bc most of the lyrics would make no sense in Spanish. I didnā€™t wanted to offend @ rifat_kabir (who was so nice to offer her/his translation), so I chose not to mention that.

I appreciate so much you took the time to to put the Translation here since I know you do so much work here at Rviki. Thank you again.

I love this song, although is such a sad song that clearly tells us the fate of that such beautiful love story.

I really like Mr. Sunshine too. It has been a while since such good Kdrama was made. And now I want to watch The Handmaiden. My dad already watched that one and said it was nice but I didnā€™t watch it yet.

2 Likes

Yes! A wonderful drama that I anxiously wait for new episodes, and was so pleasantly surprise when I read the next episode (9) will be available on August 4- Saturday. Iā€™m so excited!!!

My apartment painting will be put on hold for now, thatā€™s for sure! hahaha

I havenā€™t seen The Handmaiden but I read about all the awards that drama got so Iā€™m looking forward to watching that one, too.

Kim Go Eun, Iā€™ve only seen her in Goblin, and felt she should have put more emotions in her acting in that role/ drama. But of course she has a lot of potential.

Iā€™m so glad we are seeing new faces bc I was getting so tire of seeing the same faces in dramas. It takes away so much from the drama when you see the same actor/actress in same story plot, with just a different partner. It kills the romance feeling for me.

ā€“ I think part of the reason the lead actress is relatively unknown (definitely not an A list actress) is that so much money is being paid to Lee Byeong Hun ā€“ $135,000 (ā‚©150 million) per episode - for 16 episodes that would be over $2 million US ā€“

As I am watching it on Netflix, I wish the English would be captioned too. There are so many lines spoken in English which I canā€™t hear or decipher ā€“ and Iā€™m a native speaker. It seems like the volume drops whenever there is an English conversation. Lee Byeong Hunā€™s pronunciation is very good ā€“ but this is a criticism of all the spoken English on the drama so far.
Itā€™s also interesting that after about six episodes, they finally started calling the palanquin a palanquin rather than a carriage so Iā€™m wondering if they have gone back to earlier episodes to correct that?
ā€“ So many of the English subs use ambiguous words and strange phrases that I am constantly puzzled. I have the feeling there are numerous mixed metaphors and there are definitely a lot of anachronism (that is using phrases which are not appropriate for the time.) It seems the two main characters often talk in riddles. For other characters, the subber subs as though it is a saguk and at other times Iā€™m thinking Iā€™m hearing a ā€œvalley girlā€ talk.

3 Likes

Lee Byung Hun was definitely what primarily attracted the audience, asides from Kim Eun Sook and Lee Eung Bok. But it seems that the jakuza, the ever so charming Yoo Yeon Seok is a proper scene stealer :laughing: Typical bad boy wounded heart second lead syndrome.

1 Like

We were wondering why they insist on calling the Black Dragon Society Musin Societyā€¦

Also, in the first episodes they use ā€œmalā€(?) of rice, but donā€™t really provide a modern equivalent. Confusing if you know nothing of Korean culture beforehand.

1 Like

Itā€™s probably more than one person subbing? Ah, I can see how this kind of subtitles can mar your enjoyment. Itā€™s like when I went to a concert with my singing teacher. She was appalled because the second violins were out of tune. I enjoyed the concert a lot but she couldnā€™t enjoy it because of that. Being knowledgeable means you donā€™t have such a good time as the ignorant ones.

What I also find amazing is that all the different languages (English, Korean, Japanese) are not so annoying. All cast took the time to pronounce it all the best they can. Of course you can hear when someone isnā€™t a native but for this drama I donā€™t get annoyed like when someone starts to speak broken English at a business meeting or when they feel the need to add English to osts just because itā€™s cool and then screw up with pronunciation. Yes it can be hard, my own pronunciation is not that great either in my opinion, but I donā€™t have to act like a English business woman or have important business phone calls.

2 Likes

OST 5 .
Ost 5
A quiet wind came and asked
what I thought of you.

Thatā€™s how without my knowing It
you quietly came into my heart then

Because you are fast asleep
Are you dreaming?
The whole world
Thatā€™s you.

Will the beam of light which falls
Even know
The reason why it hurt then?

Start of refrain
It was the beginning.
On such a lovely day
I could hold you in my eyes
A lovely day.

I soared.
Dazzled then.
In my heart in my mind
Like a day the flowers bloom
I bloomed
End of refrain

Why are there just tears
Which canā€™t be hidden
Which canā€™t be stopped?

A long story
A cold and sad story
At the end you and I are hugging

Will we part?
I must try to hang on with
My two hands holding you

Refrain

Beautifully
Brilliantly
You are that.
Because you remain so lovely
Will you walk this path with me?

The path you are walking toward me
On the path which blooms radiantly forever
I want to be there always

t was the beginning.
On such a lovely day
I could hold you in my eyes
A lovely day.

For the first time I cried
Because I will see you
In my longing, in my wanting to see you
is that one reason
which is you.

2 Likes

OST 6
My Home (Eugeneā€™s Song)
(NOTE: I have marked with # the stanzas which were written in English) . I think this is the longest K drama OST I have every seen.

Ost 6
My Home (Eugeneā€™s song)

(Eng)Close your eyes and hear
inner voices within
my heart, for all is unknown

(Eng)So maybe lie
shows better life for our days
itā€™s more than meets the eye

I have too many stories
Which arenā€™t known yet

Close your eyes and listen
To the voice which is deep
Within my heart

Sometimes I feel that
We have a need
To cover our lives with lies

But there is more to our lives
Than meets the eyes

(Eng)When the stars fly away
the shadow next to me
is the only one standing with me

(Eng)One day will they come
back to places they belong
I believe that day will come

The stars disappear at night and
You who were something important to me ā€¦

If this time disappears
The thing remaining in front of me
Wonā€™t just be my own shadow

Sometimes I wonder whether those days will return again
The stars, the things which were important
Will I return and find my place again?

Even so I will believe. That day will come.

(Eng)Say that everything
will be fine after all
I will always be here

(Eng)Say that when itā€™s time
itā€™ll be deeper than before
I will always be here

Start of refrain
Please say
when time passes
Everything will be fine

I will wait until that day comes
When it perhaps is when we meet again

Our love and time will become even deeper
I will be here always unchanged
End of refrain

(Eng)Close your eyes and see
with your eyes of your heart
one that is within my heart

(Eng)So tell me why
is this only way for our days
itā€™s more than meets the eye

Close your eyes and
With your mindā€™s eye
Can you just once let it pass?

Please tell me
Everything which is within me

The only thing which will become like that
Is our way.

Will there be anything else other
Then the thing which appears right now

(Eng) just wanna know
within one hope
if you will ever see it

(Eng) just wanna know
one thing that is all
if our days will be back

Within my small hope
I am so worried
Whether you can see me

Will I just return again to our days?
I wonder and want to know only that.

Say that everything
will be fine after all
I will always be here

Say that when itā€™s time
itā€™ll be deeper than before
I will always be here

Refrain

1 Like

What I noticed in this drama that subtitles are done very fast, so fast I think they donā€™t even bother editing them.

The english conversation between the ā€˜ā€˜Americans-ā€™ā€™- is not subtitled in the drama, and sometimes being they are not perfect in their pronunciation, I canā€™t really understand what they were saying at all.

They are very informal when talking to the princess which makes no sense to me. Theyā€™re constantly changing the names, and I get so confused thinking ''wait a minute, wasnā€™t that such and suchā€¦? lol

Iā€™m assuming thereā€™s more than 1 person doing the translations, and they donā€™t communicate well with each other bc if they did, they would agree to name a place or things the same way (to avoid confusing the viewers).

I have to say subtitles on Netflix are the worst. I see a lot of gonna, wanna, arenā€™t (at the beginning of a sentence and it makes no sense either). I am thankful we have subs as bad as some of them are. I mean, at least I understand as much as I need to after I analyze the mess they wrote.

I had to give a bad rating to a drama/movie several times bc the subtitles were so bad I couldnā€™t make sense from them as hard as I tried. I figure giving them low ratings would bring attention as to what the viewers dislike and maybe just maybe hope they would fix the problem.

They should at least have a comment section where we can complain about the subtitles.

1 Like

I think NF doesnā€™t have a long experience in subtitling and they might not have a good foundation of ā€œHow to subtitleā€ as we know on Viki there is a tight-knit collaboration and a constant communication. I could imagine that NF has very little guidelines nor Team Notes that are ever updated nor a Moderator that guides a team. What NF has is money and large presence by name.

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry to say it but I think Netflix chooses its dramas better than Viki and that has nothing to do with money.

The truth of the matter is, unless its a hyped drama, such as this one, Viki doesnā€™t go much for serious modern K-dramas, at least not in the extent as Netflix does. There is so much soapy fluff on Viki, drowning anything serious and seriously worth watching under its fluffy bubbles.

Catching up on some K-drama on Netflix (currently Argon) I realised I missed out on so much the past years.

1 Like

Netflix published a while ago itā€™s subtitling guidelines. They are very extensive.

2 Likes

The other day I was watching Mr. Sunshine and one of the subtitle was; (tram/train whining) At first, I thought I was confused bc it flashed by really fast and so I rewind immediately to the part I know I saw the sub, and there it was!

I mean these subs on Netflix (Mr. Sunshine drama especially) are beyond ridiculous. I canā€™t believe that such a great drama is getting such terrible subs and is taking so much reality from the drama.

Now, since Iā€™m also using close caption subtitles, I really donā€™t know if these nonsense is really from Netflix subbers or something else. Iā€™m having a hard time believing they would give such low quality subs in a drama that is so amazingly great. I find myself waking up at 7 am to watch it since now the show airs on Saturday and Sunday (I use to watch them on Tuesday and Wednesday).

Iā€™m just so nervous about the ending which will be aired on September 1. I just hope I donā€™t see a tragic ending.

I know, because I took their test in the spring of last year, as the money was very good. Supposedly I passed but then they didnā€™t contact me again. The rules are extensive (formatting etc), but the result is often ā€œmehā€.