Mr. Sunshine IS One Cinematic Drama!

I’m heartbroken more than angry. Can’t get myself to watch Sunday’s episode yet. I might never do it, since I always do that when I know I’ll hate the ending.

Well, did I get a weird surprise today!!! They added 2 new episodes to Mr. Sunshine but they won’t be available until september 29 and september 30!

I guess people hated the ending so much, and they added this new episodes? But… why we have to wait so much? Are they still filming them again?

The main actors were the last one to wrap up filming (Eugene and Ae Sin) on August 27, 2018. The rest of the cast had left the drama already since their parts were done. I can’t say much bc I will spoil the ending.

This is one thing I hate about Asian writers, producers, Directors once is over is over, leave it at that! I bet these extra episodes will be as bad as the original ending.For the life of me I can’t understand this vicious cycle in all this. If I was the writer I would add the king adding a new law that made it possible for Ae Sin and Eugene to stay together legally married.

I would even send her to live with him in USA and start a new life since living in her own country would be too dangerous for her (is not like the war ended there). They already added the story was based on fictional events so they can add whatever ending PEOPLE would love.

Can anyone tell me if they have the same info? Did you see the ending already? Thanks for the feedback1

1 Like

When I watched the last 2 episodes (or what I thought were the last two episodes) I was really confused, because I remembered your post and the episodes didn’t seem like an ending at all (were they edited differently, I don’t know…)

So I was really confused and went back to look at the information and saw that there were other episodes.
And it made sense to me, because the ending wasn’t really an ending, but more like an ominous cliffhanger…

Anyways, will wait for those episodes to come out :slight_smile:

1 Like

It seems like we don’t have any episodes next week. Netflix says a new episode will be uploaded next Saturday.

1 Like

I can’t reveal the source where I saw the ending but it wasn’t from USA (where I live). I also didn’t had the subs available in the drama, but a short explanation about the scenes. It wasn’t the best quallity either since it was a tiny screen.

Maybe this 2 episodes will make up for my past disappointment. At least, it will have subtitles and that makes a lot of a difference. lol

I think this 2 episodes are being filmed now. I think they changed their mind about the ending. It wouldn’t be the first time this happen.

1 Like

I HAVE TO WRITE THIS IN CAPS BUT I’M NOT SCREAMING I AM ONCE AGAIN SOBBING AND MY HEART BROKEN INTO PIECES. IT WILL BE A VERY SAD AND DEPRESSING SUNDAY FOR ME FOR WATCHING THIS DEPRESSING ENDING AGAIN.

THE ENDING HAD NO CHANGES AT ALL AS I THOUGHT IT WOULD HAVE. SO THE WAIT MUST HAVE BEEN ANOTHER ISSUE. ANYWAY, IF YOU HAVEN’T WATCH THE ENDING YET ALTHOUGH IT WILL BE A HEART WRENCHING STORY I CAN ASSURE IT WILL BE WORTH EVERY TEAR YOU SHED.

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE FELT SO SORRY FOR FICTITIOUS CHARACTERS IN A DRAMA LIKE I HAVE FOR THIS ONE. IT’S LIKE I REALLY LOST PEOPLE THAT I KNEW AND LOVED. MAYBE I WAS THERE BETWEEN THE RIGHTEOUS REBELS, IN ONE OF MY OTHER REINCARNATED LIFE.

I HAVE SEVERAL REINCARNATIONS I AM AWARE ABOUT OF AND THEY ALL ENDED TRAGICALLY.

I WAS AN INDIAN GIRL IN THE CARIBBEAN ISLAND AND THE CHIEF/CACIQUE HAD FALLEN IN LOVE WITH ME. MY DARK SKIN AND BEAUTIFUL BODY MADE HIM OBSESSED WITH ME (HE STILL FOLLOWS ME NOW IN THE 21ST CENTURY). I’M NO LONGER DARK OR HAVE A BEAUTIFUL BODY GO FIGURE THAT ONE OUT).

I WAS MADLY IN LOVE WITH ANOTHER YOUNG MAN AND I WANTED TO MAKE SURE I DIDN’T GIVE MY PURENESS TO THAT CACIQUE MAN WHICH I DETEST WITH ALL MY HEART. WHEN HE FOUND OUT WHAT I DID, HE KILLED MY LOVER RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY EYES, AND THEN HE ORDERED FOR ME TO BE DROWNED (THIS IS NOW MY BIGGEST TERROR AND AGONY I CAN’T ENJOY THE BEACH, LAKE OR RIVERS BC I FEEL LIKE I CAN’T BREATH) ANY PUDDLE OF WATER GIVES ME SHORTNESS OF BREATH. THEY MUST HAVE DROWNED ME VERY SLOWLY IN AN AGONIZING WAY TO TRANSCEND MORE CENTURIES AND STILL MAKE ME AGONIZE.

I ALSO DIED IN THE HIROSHIMA BOMBING AND WAS REBORN A FEW more more YEARS LATER. THAT STORY I WON’T TELL BC IS VERY VAGUE. I BELIEVE I WAS EITHER A YOUNG CHILD OR EVEN A BABY SINCE ALL I RECALL IS LOOKING UP AND THE WHITE CLOUDS AND SEEING THE PLANES FLYING ABOVE AND THE BOMB COMING DOWN AND THEN, DARKNESS. I FIGURE IF I WAS AN ADULT I WOULD REMEMBER MORE STUFF IN my now REINCARNATED SELF.

HAS ANYONE HERE FOUND YOUR REINCARNATED PAST LIFE? SOME OF US CAN RETAIN OUR PAST LIFE AND REMEMBER VIVIDLY MANY THINGS AND SOME ARE SO TRAUMATIZED THAT BUILD UP A WALL TO FORGET BUT WE CAN NEVER LOSE THE REMNANTS THEY LEAVE BEHIND US. FOR EXAMPLE, IN YOUR PREVIOUS LIFE IF YOU DIE IN A FIRE TURNING A STOVE CAN BE VERY DIFFICULT AND TRAUMATIZING AND FIRE CAN CAUSE TERROR IN YOU.

INTERESTING SUBJECT RIGHT? IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO SHARE WITH YOUR REINCARNATED PAST LIFE I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM IT.

MAYBE AND HOPEFULLY IT WILL GIVE NEW IDEAS TO THESE WRITERS, AND THEY’LL START WRITING NEW STORIES INSTEAD OF THE SAME BORING LOVE STORIES THEY ARE MAKING NOW. I AM HONESTLY SICK OF THE SAME LOVE STORIES I JUST DON’T BOTHER ANYMORE.

No matter how great a drama or film, nowadays if it has a tragic, heart-wrenching ending, I refuse to watch it. Period. I’ve got enough drama in my own life, thank you.

1 Like

I was barely able to sleep as I replayed in my head all the loss and tragic scenes in Mr. Sunshine drama but I soon realized my disappointment with Asian writers.

This was a fictional drama that was mixed with real life stories from that era. Based on what I saw bits and pieces from the past many had survived and got to live to old age so killing them all (except one) was very unfair.

The fact that the survivor should have been more devastated than me, but was shown with a smile from ear to ear at the end, angers me more at this point.

I am also going to stop watching dramas that will obviously have tragic endings. I noticed I get too depressed for a few days, and is not worth it at all.

Finally managed to watch the remaining 4 episodes, which I had been dreading.
So many tears for so many characters. For some way more than others (why couldn’t they just hold hands? Now that is cruel!).

But all in all, this wasn’t as heart-wrenching as I thought it would be based on your comments. Maybe I’m too used to the sad endings from older Korean dramas or Chinese dramas? I don’t know. I was okay with the ending and I immediately followed everything with some behind the scenes videos to make me smile again :smile:

Glad I got to the finish. Seeing that that had to stretch the material for 2 extra episodes, so many flashbacks, but it wasn’t as bad as I expected.

1 Like

SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!
SPOILER DISCUSSION READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!: DON’T READ IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN MR. SUNSHINE!

OMG!!! You are used to sad tragic dramas for real hahahaha. It was heart wrenching to me when they killed that gorgeous fiance of the princess specially when they hit him like that… so hard in his head! I swear I felt his pain and couldn’t sleep replaying that part in my head. I was more upset with his death than any other character.They should have let him live at least.

It was heart wrenching when the japanese korean hotel owner girl died. Especially when she confessed her love to the japanese really korean guy too late. It was heart wrenching to see him survive just to die an even worse death.

It was more heart wrenching to see Mr. Sunshine died, sacrifice himself, and we never saw at least a damn kiss from them.

But my cutey Japanese Korean boy who never knew what was to be loved and his life was so full of sorrows. WHy? Why??? why not let at least one of them survive and we saw him happy.

It was a slap in the face to me to see her in that scene with a smile like nothing ever happened. Training more innocent people to die for her. Why everyone dies but not her? If she had died I wouldn’t be so upset.

I forgot this part: Where you leave the chubby master that trained her? When she was next to him hiding under the hay sobbing uncontrollably when she recognized his scarred hand. I cried buckets bc his death was unavoidable but he was such a gentle bear. I was depressed when this drama ended, for a good 2 weeks and I swear to myself that I’m not watching dramas like that anymore. Never ever…:frowning:

I have never been more disappointed in my life like I was with this drama and the way it unfold . I envisioned something else and this was not remotely close to it.

They could have made it so Mr. Sunshine and the Princess continued the battle for the freedom of their country always killing all the evil men. ALWAYS together.

The hotel owner and japanese cutey guy in their beautiful home hiding in the mountains living happily with their 6 kids playing in the mountains.

My GORGEOUS ADORABLE fiance becoming a famous reporter in USA who under disguise would take pictures of the masacre and write articles about the genocide that was committed to the people of Joseon (remember HOLOCAUST?) There was a reporter who took pictures of the atrocities committed against the Jewish people. If he survived that, my cutey could survive this too.

But no…heavens forbid we get a decent happy ending. I’m getting depressed again…:frowning:

1 Like

I think at the beginning of the drama, when I saw what time period it was in, knowing some of the history of Korea and Japan in that time (a very dark chapter), I was convinced that all the main characters were going to die or be dead at the end of the drama. So I was surprised that didn’t happen.

[quote=“angelight313_168, post:71, topic:20175”]
It was heart wrenching when the japanese korean hotel owner girl died. Especially when she confessed her love to the japanese really korean guy too late. It was heart wrenching to see him survive just to die an even worse death.
[/quote]

Yes, very true. I cried at the scene on the beach. Their lives were really sad. But on one hand, they both expected to die. Yang Hwa had wanted to die in the hotel anyways and the second she had told Dong Mae “don’t die before me,” when they had that conversation before, I knew that she was going to die moments before Dong Mae would. When I saw Dong Mae’s “death” scene, I was hoping that his boss had mercy on him and only dealt him a superficial wound, but of course that wouldn’t be the case… and knowing that, it would have been improbable for him to survive with all his injuries. He died like a samurai at least.

And I agree with you about Kim Hee Sung. I don’t think his death was necessary, but the fact that he kept “hearing” his watch tick in his head, was a clue for me. Also, that they clinked their soju’s in the bar.

[quote=“angelight313_168, post:71, topic:20175”]
It was more heart wrenching to see Mr. Sunshine died, sacrifice himself, and we never saw at least a damn kiss from them.
[/quote]

Well, I disagree with you on that :slight_smile: Eugene did tell her that she shouldn’t cry and that it was his choice, his history. And if the rest of the bromance trio died, he would be next. And since the beginning she was the patriotic heroin of the story. I doubt she would chance just because she lost the people she loved. She lost her family before that and that didn’t stop her either. She kind of embodies the ‘fighting spirit’ of the Joseon people father Joseph wrote about.

The other deaths that were sad were indeed gunner Jang, Haengrang, Haman Daek (still mad that they couldn’t hold hands), and the implied deaths of potter Eun San and the rest of the gang.Glad some of the other side characters survived!

Sorry to hear that :cry:
I’m pretty good at predicting drama plots, so they hardly surprise me anymore. I can imagine that it would be shocking if you didn’t expect this ending.

Don’t stay too sad though. Avoid these kind of dramas if they are a trigger for you and watch happy ones instead :slight_smile::sunny:

1 Like

Thanks, I do avoid sad dramas like a plague but they have so many in K-dramas that I have to be on guard all the time.

To tell you the truth, I avoid any drama from Joseon war era, and was not planning to watch Mr. Sunshine but LBH is a great mature actor and picks dramas he knows he will shine in them. I just couldn’t miss this one although I knew he would die at the end (he also was killed in IRIS and several others I’ve seen from him).

I think that if they at least left the fiance (prince) alive I wouldn’t feel so disappointed. His death was senseless since he was part of royalty and his mother and father were still alive and could’ve protect him. He even said he was marrying the other girl. Why not they let him stay alive? The death scene was so cruel to top it off.

Yes, I know the princess was the fighter for her war torn country but there was so many tragedies involved that I wasn’t happy to see her wide smile on her face and worst yet, the young boy now grown in gear to fight, and the maid hotel girl also joining this group that was headed to their death.

The ending gave me no hope in my heart that stronger fighters came out of all this chaos just the weak, young, immature sacrificed lambs.

The drama history was based on true parts mixed with fiction and I wished the fiction part had more survivors fighting for their cause and staying alive.

I don’t know if you saw marriage contract but the main girl has a death sentence in the drama, but at the end they didn’t show her dying. The ending was of her been happy with the man she love and her child happily by her side. Those endings are better than all this sadistic sorrowful death, so much pain and tragedies involved in the same drama.

We already have enough tragedies in our own life and in the world and k-dramas should be that dream world that takes us away from the daily struggles and pain in life. Sometimes I wonder if these tragic dramas contributes to Asian countries having the highest statistic of suicides among young kids.

1 Like

Bruce Willis Loves Lee Byung Hun

I get your point, but I tend to disagree :slight_smile: Yes, romcoms and fantasy dramas tend to have ‘happy endings’, but, in dramas like this I kinda expect the tragic endings. They bring some realism to it. They make the story more real (and maybe more memorable). I would be disappointed if every drama had a happy ending (I do agree on not wanting to see a gory sadistic death, understanding that they died, or showing them dying without all the gore is good enough).

And I completely understand why dramas are an escape for some people. I’m just not one of them.

1 Like

In all honesty, I don’t watch too many dramas because I don’t have too much time to dedicate to that. A while back I used to do a lot of Spanish subtitles in dramas, and of course saw the parts in the drama I mainly subbed, but you never get to sub every episode. But I always made sure I saw the last episode though (if I liked the drama that is).

When I do watch a drama, I do so much skipping (sometimes 3 to 4 whole episode) or jump to the last 2 episodes. I might start the first 2 episodes, jump to the 6th and if I can’t stand the story I go straight to the last episode or watch the last 2 episodes. If I tell you I have seen a whole episode without skipping parts, I would be lying to you.

If I want to know something about a certain episode I skipped but feel curious about something, I go to the episode page and the comment section, and read through them bc some ppl. give you the whole story in the episode in a few lines.

All my comments are mainly criticizing the dramas bc I’m not used to certain scenes like when the mother in laws slap and treat their daughter in laws like maids or baby factories. i hate the scenes where this beautiful young girls get blasted drunk, throw up on the guy they like, and do the pony ride in their back ugh.

I hate the fact that in k dramas mainly the guy is a god looking rich gorgeous guy and the female is unkept, dirt poor and dress like a homeless.

I don’t watch American dramas/movies bc they are full of sex scenes when there’s no need to have one. I mainly like documentaries and the news.

I did a lot of skipping on Mr. Sunshine and the killing of the fiance totally caught me by surprise. I swear I never expected to see him die in that way on that scene.

Right now, I’m mainly here subbing a project I wish to see subtitled completely although at this point I can’t stand the drama anymore hahahaha. I’m doing english subtitles on that one bc is a Spanish drama. Unless they remove it I’m planning to stay until the end doing the subs. My main reason for this sacrifice is because you never see a Spanish drama fully subbed in here.

GREAT TASTE IN KDRAMAS

KUDOS TO YOU:heart:

1 Like