♪♫ Musical Expertise in South Korea is Extraordinary

Have a listen to Park Eun-tae sing “A Thousand Winds.”

BACKSTORY
On the morning of 16 April 2014, the ferry MV Sewol was travelling from Incheon to Jeju in South Korea when it met with disaster. Out of 476 passengers and crew, 304 died, including around 250 students from Danwon High School.

“A Thousand Winds” has become associated with mourning this immense tragedy.

The lyrics are based on a short poem of hope by Mary Elizabeth Frye who wrote the words in 1932 to comfort a friend after the death of her friend’s mother. (There are many variations of these words around.)

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow;
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain;
I am the gentle autumn’s rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft star that shines at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there; I did not die.

4 Likes

Every time I listen to this version of the 1976 song, “Turn The Beat Around,” I’m left with a truckload of good feelings. These five people don’t need a single musical instrument backing them to sound spectacular.

2 Likes

The story of Choi Sung-bong is equal parts heart-wrenching and heart warming. Even though the quality of the video clip is not high definition, it’s definitely worth watching.

1 Like

This is beautiful. Violin + Cello + Piano + Henry Mancini’s “Moon River” from Breakfast At Tiffany’s"

3 Likes

That’s called singing Acappella!
Musical Voices, entertaining!

1 Like

They certainly had everyone in the audience and involved with the show entertained!

2 Likes

I wish we could back to pre-COVID, pre-kpop explosion sometimes… we had so many beautiful cross-company collabs and intra-company shows. :heart_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

SM has some realllly, realllly beautiful vocals. I was so glad they hosted a free concert to cheer people up as we began 2021. And they all sang this beautiful song together as a finale - HOPE

In terms of vocals, here’s EXO performing Open Arms in semi-acapella. Their harmony is beautiful.

And this performance will always be amazing. The combination of powerful vocals was amazing.

Background: This song is about NCT’s journey from young rookies to four best-selling sub-units. They recall all the hardships and work they put in to come to where they are now. The group is a mix of members from Korea, China, Japan, Thailand and Macao, and they sing about how they became family, a home. The song starts out with only the Korean members singing and, near the finale, the international members join in.

And I just really love this song because they’re singing it from their hearts. It’s a song about being far away from the one you love… the eldest member (the guy in the middle) was preparing to enlist a few weeks later. The other two are basically singing the song for him.

1 Like

I wish I can find the sheet music for this. My kids used to perform quite a bit as a piano trio (violin, cello and piano) and it was always so difficult to find the right arrangement. This brings back memories.

6 Likes

that’s beautiful! :heart_eyes: and it’s nice to see you around after quite some time, @choitrio! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Trying to spend as much time with my kids as possible before my twins go back to college. I can’t believe they were only in middle school in the video. How time flies!

3 Likes

@choitrio,
Are these your kids performing? :smiley:!

:woman_facepalming:t5: Silly me, of course they are! :blush:

3 Likes

I miss them performing together. They don’t play their classical instruments as much anymore. They are more into playing guitars now. My daughter sometimes streams her ukulele playing though.

3 Likes

My nieces, and nephew are the same way, but if my friend is anything to go by, it stays with them for life. She too, my friend, never really lost any of her ability to play piano, when, I met her back in the mid 90’s. :blush:

3 Likes

Ahh maybe it’s a growing-up thing… I used to play the piano all the time but I’ve dropped it so much because studies crowded around :grimacing: and I suddenly didn’t want to spend so much time playing instruments. Though I do get a shot of happiness every time I finally sit down at a piano/keyboard.

3 Likes

I hope so. I think the ability to play musical instruments is appreciated far more when you are older. Most people I know either wish they knew how to play instruments or regret not keeping up.

3 Likes

I fall into both categories. I used to play the flute, but now, 20 some years later, I wish I still had my flute just to see if I could still pick it up and play it. And I have always wished that I learned how to play piano.

5 Likes

It is never too late. I am in my 50s but my kids actually have inspired me to take guitar lessons.:wink:

4 Likes

Birds of a feather flock together, how lovely! Our unique maeknae :slight_smile: is an exception. She’s wise beyond her years. :wink:

2 Likes

This is exactly what happened to me. I started piano when I was 8 years old. I only had three years of lessons but after the lessons finished, I kept on working at it by myself. In the end, I picked up some Yamaha Music Foundation qualifications and taught piano for a bit.

In my 30s, I decided to put myself through university and it was because I could teach piano and electronic organ that I could get an income to go to uni (since teaching happened outside of regular working hours). I studied physics, chemistry and maths at uni.

Music has always been part of my life. It’s been a hobby since I graduated from uni in the 1990s. These days I like to arrange and write songs for personal fun. I honestly cannot imagine my life without music. It’s opened doors for me.

My partner plays cello and piano. After 15 years of not playing, he’s just started again. While he was rusty to begin with, after two or three weeks, he was sounding professional once more.

3 Likes

I love your story, your passion became a source of income. There is nothing more convenient. My friend took a few tries, and she was playing, in my opinion really well, and your partners proves it too, learning musical instruments is a skill for life.

2 Likes