Name a drama everyone liked but you hated/dropped

Oh my, I use to finish everything, I don’t know where the switch flipped, I think after reading discussions about people dropping dramas, it’s like I needed permission or something… :rofl::rofl::rofl::woman_facepalming:

8 Likes

That’s so funny!

For me, I think it was really about learning over time what I was willing to tolerate and realizing and admitting that some things just weren’t worth it. I finished some pretty horrendous things early on. Which reminds me of another series of dramas that I ended up finishing but that I consider some of the worst of everything I’ve ever watched, and yet are somehow very highly rated: “Mischievous Kiss” and its sequel as well as the other versions of this story (The Japanese one being the worst of the bunch). Why on earth I ever watched all the versions, I will never understand myself. :joy:

5 Likes

Vincenzo
It’s okay not to be okay
Doom at your service

3 Likes

Squid Game…I was really shocked what was the hype about, like i really love the actors and all but the topic was just so super repetitious…It gave me a taste of hunger games & similar content, so I wasnt sure why people thought it was so unique, especially seen people who find kdramas “cringworthy” dying for this one…i was quite surprised, lol.
Love Alarm…another amazing cast, yet i just hate the constant shift of love interest, it actually annoyed me to the point where i just dropped it, it was the first and only kdrama I’ve ever stopped watching.

5 Likes

Exactly me too! I don’t know how I put up with some of the dramas I have watched in the past.

From the top of my head the 2 I can think of right away was, Boys Over Flowers (k.ver) and My Girl (starring Lee Dong Wook)

I’ve never been curious about rewatching them. Nowadays, I can start any drama but the real challenge is if I can finish them.

6 Likes

Strong Woman Do Bong Soon -

I love my Park Hyung Sik - so I finished it while cringing the whole time! I just didn’t like it.

Something in the Rain - cuz the mother was just horrible, the end was horrible - ugh

Lovestruck in the City cuz I can’t see Wookie hurt

Descendants of the Sun cuz I can’t stand the FL

Throw the Laptop Thread

4 Likes

Oooohhh the Red Sleeve… I just cannot watch that drama and you’ve convinced me it was the right choice. I was undecided because people talk about it like its the greatest romance ever, but then I remember that people say the same thing about Romeo and Juliet, a story I DESPISE

3 Likes

Vincenzo…
Lobely horribly
My only love song
So not worth it
The Great escape (variety)

Also, you might have matured as a drama viewer :wink:.

7 Likes

Just remembered another drama that fits this category: “The Untamed”. This has a whopping 9.8 rating on Viki and seems to be universally loved. This is the reason I gave it about a handful of chances to grab my attention, but it never did.

2 Likes

@my_happy_place
@vivi_1485

This was a very interesting drama to me. It started out pretty slowly for me, and there were times I got a bit frustrated with some of the scenes, and I didn’t like the way they dragged on too much towards the end as they extended the drama by 1 episode due to its popularity.

But the reason I actually really liked this drama was because it made me ponder why the FL refused to become his concubine. I read in real life she had actually refused the offer twice before she eventually became one. I had NEVER heard of ANY palace maids/court ladies refusing to become King’s concubine, as that would automatically raise her status and give her some power and status. None of the palace ladies can ever marry, as they are officially “king’s women.” So it would be their ultimate honor to be chosen by the king. Yeah, yeah, I know, it’s terrible. But that’s how it was back then. And just because the king slept with her doesn’t automatically make her his concubine. So to be officially elevated to a concubine status is something every palace lady would dream of. While nobody would never know why she really refused in real life, this drama goes into this in depth especially toward the end and try to explain what she is going through in her mind.

So I thought it was really different to see her perspectives.

I also thought this drama dealt the relationship between Yi San and his grandfather, King Yeongjo really well, including psychological issues that they had to deal with individually as well as together.

To me, this drama went above and beyond the typical “palace polities,” and the light and fluffy “love story” between the ML and FL.

11 Likes

I have a few that I couldn’t finish:

• City Hunter - I loved Healer, so when I saw that the genre was similar & even the FL was the same. But I couldn’t get into it. I always wanted to give it another try, but I have other dramas on my list right now.

• Vincenzo - Left after ep 2 or 4

• Hwarang - Left after ep 6 or 7. I started to watch it because I liked the whole cast but when watching, I found that I was forcing myself to continue. I have watched other dramas of the cast, so I know their acting potential. The script was the problem.

• Kill Me, Heal Me - Left between ep 4-7. I couldn’t watch the FL (something I thought I would never say because I dislike it when others say it)

• School 2015 & 2017 - I love the school series, so I was excited but come out disappointed. It made me hesitant to watch the 2021 one. Maybe I’ve grown out of school dramas.

• Coffee Prince - I don’t know why I couldn’t finish. I want to try again to see if the timing was off when I first watched.

• The Smile Has Left Your Eyes - Left after ep 1 or 2. I tend to stay away from crime/thriller/murder plots, but after watching Flower of Evil, I found myself wanting to give it a try again.

3 Likes

I feel exactly the same way. So relieved to see I’ m not the only one.:smiley:

3 Likes

I actually dropped that one, too (or at least put it on the to-be-finished-someday list), but that was solely because of that ridiculous episode 0, that spoiled everything. After that, I’ve never watched an “episode 0” again, at least not before watching the rest of the drama. But back then I had no idea it would just be a summary of the entire drama. Watching 0 before 1 seemed logical…

6 Likes

:joy: So mathematically correct, buuuut! Yup! it was a spoiler. I even tried watching it because it was so hyped, but left it pre-midstride.

3 Likes

Did the same thing. I just couldnt like that drama

2 Likes

Same thing with SWDBS!! I was so confused…

3 Likes

I’m SO relieved to see that I’m not alone.
I would blame the fact that I’m more into movies than series.
But I’m often very interested in the beginning and stick around for a few episodes. Maybe I should better list the series I couldn’t skip at all.

4 Likes

I loved Kill Me Heal Me - Mainly because of the bad boy Shin Se Gi

I love him!!! LOL

I also hated Hyde, Jykell, Me but I finished it - ugh yuck!

4 Likes

I was so taken aback by the “cruelty” of the FL toward SAN! Junho played the ULTIMATE part as the abused Prince and then the KING. He truly NEVER had love in his life and he wanted so much for FL to love him - she played with him - and his affections by showing that she cared more for her friends than him “because he had a nation that loved him.” I found her character to be LACKING character by the end. I liked her in the beginning and I usually don’t like any FL with JUNHO. Although the drama was brilliantly acted by him - the story left me so sad - just completely sad for SAN and what he went through I never saw or felt anything for the FL because she showed no honor or loyalty to a man that loved her DEEPLY. She just hurt him over and over. I think the writer thought someone like me would be sympathetic towards her not wanting to be a concubine but NOPE didn’t work out that way.

5 Likes

Didn’t watch the drama, but this was the main reason I threw it off my watchlist. I saw a few comments talking about how she never actually said she loved him or something, so I was like, “Wait, so how is this a romance??” Most of the comments talk about the undying, unswerving love… of the Prince. Somehow, I felt like it was largely one-sided.
I think it’s better for history geeks or something. They were trying to highlight the difficulties of loving someone like the king and being a concubine. Which are all very reasonable topics but I like my happily-ever-after fluff more

6 Likes