New Style of moderating Viki's main page of a show's comments

Honestly? NOPE not bc of racism. I don’t think they are racist, but I do KNOW they are controlling. Everything is about taking full control of this site. They have been here many years back, and they just took control of EVERYTHING in their own way. I didn’t get picked on bc I’m Hispanic but bc once they don’t want you in their ‘‘group’’ they’ll make your life a living hell, and make others think you are the bad one.

4 Likes

Good to know this is your experience. Everyone’s interpretation is valued. Thanks luv!

5 Likes

Your welcome. I mean there is a very high possibility we have racist ppl. here, but if they are, they can hide it very well. But I know is the obsession of control here bc now they even limit the REPLIES/Hearts/Likes.

I can no longer write comments that they get deleted, but when I look at the team I see who the real culprit is; never fails. Now what I do, look who’s in the team, and don’t bother writing a comment when I see certain people’s name.

4 Likes

Speaking of which :roll_eyes:
Screenshots_2021-05-26-18-52-43
I guess I’m back in

3 Likes

Yes this has reached the point of ridiculousness. How many likes you give? I mean I’m curious now bc i also give a lot of likes but never saw that message. Can you calculate how much likes you gave before they send you this message? It feels so wrong bc they give BADGES for likes, hearts etc…

3 Likes

I was literally there just not that long ago, phews! :joy: I thought I was bad, getting out so quick.

3 Likes

No, I was not keeping track. I’ve liked every post here so far, and some on a few other threads visited. Aside from those I could not, for being in again :smile:

2 Likes

What’s so weird is that I don’t see this happening to anyone else; so is kind of fishy bc it has never happened to me and I give a lot of ‘‘likes’’

3 Likes

Oh! :hushed: Fishy :fishing_pole_and_fish: indeed!
:laughing: I have to laugh it off :smile:
Could it be a regional restriction thing? :sparkles::bulb::sparkles::point_up:t5:

1 Like

I’m gonna track my likes and see what happens. I know is not bc of regional restriction. But look I NEVER saw this before either they even added your name. WTH?!!!

Consider replying to more people

You’ve already replied 3 times to @leerla73 in this particular topic.

Have you considered replying to other people in the discussion, too? A great discussion involves many voices and perspectives.

If you’d like to continue your conversation with this particular user at length, send them a personal message.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl: now they coming for you I don’t know, it’s about the topic at hand, so 왜 ?

1 Like

Do you think they have a beef with you? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I just seen you around here recently; but your profile says you here since 2013 (just like me). You used to do subs here too?

1 Like

@leerla73 Hi there, I believe the concerns in your original post were brought up in good faith. But I must chime in here to clarify that discrimination, hate, or derogation towards any groups have no place on Viki — there is absolutely no question about that. If anything, Viki serves as a bridge for many.

I believe the moderation in question refers to the comments section on each channel page. As some have noted in replies, the comments section is powered by Disqus. Moderation system there uses a combination of both Viki’s and Disqus’ filters, and so sometimes comments can be wrongly identified as spam or inappropriate, hence put to review. We do not have visibility into Disqus’ filters, however.

During these times where there is heightened sensitivity towards certain issues, the filters across many sites where user content is supported (including Viki) might have been tightened too. This is part of the efforts to protect the communities from unwanted or abusive content. Our community’s safety, too, is in our best interest above all else.

We have an explanatory article here that shares why comments go into review, and what happens if that is so. We recommend you to have a look. (TL;DR version: Any comments sent for review are typically reviewed within 24-48 hours. If your comments do not go against any guidelines or policies, rest assured that they will be published in full.)

Once again, Viki’s community is made up of members from all over the world with diverse backgrounds, and everyone is welcome.

10 Likes

Like every new subscriber, when I joined, I jumped feet first into everything drama related on Viki. Nope, I never fully did any subtitles. I used to practice my hangul a lot on those sentences Viki use to have for rating, all they needed was a thumbs up, or thumbs down. I guess then, they counted towards their subtitles. You can see here https://www.viki.com/users/leerla73/recent_contributions

3 Likes

In reference to the above

Thanks for your input, improving the community is in everyone’s best interest. Viki is definitely :construction: a site under construction :construction: Looking forward to more changes that fosters _ everyone is welcome_ especially if done based on the feedbacks posted here, and on other discussions?

1 Like

@angelight313_168 I thought I’d also take this opportunity to help you understand rate limits. With most forums, there are rate limits imposed to prevent spam, bots, and the likes. On Discussions, we are using the recommended/default rate limits by Discourse, which is the platform Discussions is using. We wouldn’t want Discussions to become a likes-farming forum, for instance, would we?

This is where the team can potentially review the current rate limits we are using and make changes. We’re always happy to have such conversations when brought up as concerns.

8 Likes

What you say is very true. The level of some translators is really outstanding, and we all fight to have them in our teams.
BUT:
Why do we fight to have them? And why they sometimes don’t even come to translate, or they contribute only 100-200 subs in a 16-episode show?
Because they are inundated with projects.
And why are they inundated with projects?
Because, unfortunately, those outstanding subbers are few compared to the total number of subbers.
Which is natural, of course. The best cannot be the majority, this is a truth in every field.

There are many, many instances where I scratch my head trying to understand what the heck is meant by that sentence. In more than one show, while editing, I had a pirate site page open on another tab and watched their version of a scene to compare with ours: not to copy their subs of course, but to understand the meaning of the sentence and be able to edit properly. Because the professional translations - which these pirate sites steal - may not be to my taste because they are too “americanised”, shortened, leaving out every cultural flavour. But at least the meaning is right and they always make sense. Not that they don’t sometimes have some mistakes creep in (it would be superhuman, given the short time these people have to do the job), but that’s rare.

And that’s how it should be. Translation editors correct wrong meanings, we English editors take care of the formatting and of the continuity/uniformity decided beforehand. The editor has to streamline the look and feel of the subtitles, so that the viewer doesn’t know that it’s been many different people working on them.
If a person’s name is written in a way, it should be written the same way from beginning to end. If the standard for something is to write it with an initial capital in some cases, then it should be like that everywhere.
All this is, of course, in the Team Notes, as “Subbing guidelines”. But let’s be honest, Korean-English subbers very rarely if ever read those. It’s a fact that I’ve seen again and again. So much so that I have to write separate messages to them, to remind them. They keep forgetting the formatting for cultural notes, for example, or they don’t care about putting italics for flashbacks and previews. Or for fishing the exact same sentence if it’s a flashback - something that I do thanks to my keeping the previous subs in a Google spreadsheet.
An example: in historical dramas, how many times I’ve politely written to the subbers to never write “okay” or “guy” or “punk”? But only a couple have taken this advice to heart. I continue seeing some minister saying “okay” to the king.

I don’t see why it’s demotivating. On the contrary, a subber should have a look at the changes and ask him/herself why that change was made. And if it’s not obvious, ask! I am known for asking questions, all the time, pestering everyone with questions, and I’ve learned so many things that way. That’s how we all grow, striving for excellence.
Do subbers really go back and check the edits to their subs? Of course not everyone is the same, but frankly I seriously doubt it, since they keep repeating the same mistakes.
Sometimes I give personal feedback to a subber. Most of the time it’s either ignored or taken well (I am super-careful of course to be polite and non-judgemental). But there have been some (rare) instances where a person with very fragile ego had her feathers ruffled and replied “I don’t give my precious free time here for my work to be criticised” and left the team in a huff.
In my 6-year experience here, I have found that the very best subbers are the ones who take this kind of feedback to heart, who ask questions, who discuss little nuances of meaning. Because they care.

Sorry, everyone, for straying off-topic. Maybe all this should be taken to the numerous pages about editing here on Viki. But I felt I had to address these concerns.

10 Likes

Unfortunately the rate limits for :heartpulse: hearts, :speech_balloon: replies, etc. Affects not only @angelight313_168, it affects the many fans often here in community discussions. I suspect it is either a good breaking point for some fans, but an interruption to communication for other fans. This is also a good take away, for improvements.

4 Likes

I discovered Viki in 2016 and spent prolly two years learning how to navigate the insanity of public comments, fitting in a few pithy statements here and there before I discovered . . . I could turn them off!! And then I discovered I could offer more than a few syllables with my Disqus account. And when I started paying for extras and discovered I could join “community discussions,” how happy was I?

I discovered Viki in 2016 and spent two years learning how to navigate the insanity of public comments, fitting in a few pithy statements here and there before I discovered . . . I could turn them off!! And then I discovered I could offer more than a few syllables with my Disqus account. And when I started paying for extras and discovered I could join “community discussions,” ​how happy was I?

But when I think about it, why are there THREE modes of discussion on the website, and why are all of them tinged with chaos and confusion?

My understanding is that Viki was originally the “baby” of college/university students. It was an all-volunteer operation run by people who knew each other. These folks had special skills and interests and took pride in working behind the scenes to enlighten and educate others about Asian culture as seen in movies and television programs.

From my evolving perspective, Viki was for a long time, and still is, a very special type of post-production company devoted to putting subtitles on movies and television programs for the benefit of a very special, very narrowly focused niche market.

Then it evolved into a movie theater showing the results of that post-production devotion.

Then it developed into a fan club for the results of that post-production devotion.

And then a group of people came along and bought the post production company, the movie theater, and the fan club. And they discovered they could make a lot of money by maintaining the illusion that Viki is some sort of . . . university-run entertainment network, movie theater, book store, coffee shop, and clothing store, all fueled by participants’ love of Asian culture.

And despite the constant communications turmoil created as a result . . . despite the constant bickering, finger-pointing, blame-placing, virtue-signalling . . . despite the constant struggles among self-perceived leaders, experts, and Viki “true believers” . . . there are never any real, serious reforms, changes, improvements instigated by the current people in charge . . . because if a cow is giving you a lot of milk, what difference does it make if she makes a lot of noise and leaves “cow pies” where people step in them constantly?

Even if the wisest, most common-sense person in the world took over and proposed drop-dead simple and useful changes to the format of discussions on the community board . . .

Figured out a way to encorage public commenters to act like rational adults and not rude, selfish middle schoolers . . .

Put in place a community standards review board made up of individuals of proven integrity . . .

Proposed reasonable compensation for the subbers and segmenters and others who make Viki’s popularity and profitability possible . . .

Nothing would change as long as people are in denial about what the issues really are, who is responsible for their continuing, and who benefits from things being a bit of a mess.

5 Likes

Links seem to be often suspicious for them, so they have to make sure that it’s an innocent link.
Not always, though. Youtube, Wikipedia and such always pass through the filter.

3 Likes