Ninja Academy/Seg101

Hey!

Can someone explain to me the difference between Ninja Academy and Seg101?
I’ve seen many times that CM accepts people who have graduated from Ninja Academy or Seg101, but I have no idea what the difference is. Are these two different academies, or is it the same one but under a different name?

5 Likes

They are different academies.
I’m not sure if Seg101 is still active. Someone else might know more about that :blush:

Edit: I couldn’t find their page on Viki anymore :thinking:

3 Likes

I investigated that some time ago and it turned out that they hadn’t been accepting new students in a very long time. Their website did still exist somewhere, but they weren’t active. So basically, nowadays the NSSA is the only option.

5 Likes

Yup. Their virtual presence is here:

I think they are no longer active. I did send a couple of messages to a couple of them (forgot who I sent to now) quite some time ago, hoping to find out more, and to sign up for SEG101. I was curious and wanted to know the difference between the two segging academies.

4 Likes

@marykarmelina Hi there, I “contacted” you because you were mentioned on the Seg101 page, so maybe you can tell something about …

2 Likes

@lutra
Unfortunately SEG 101 is no longer active :neutral_face: That’s why its channel was removed. :disappointed: But you guys have the other segmenting academy still available so I wish you good luck!

5 Likes

I’ve a question along the same lines…
What do Power Segmenters actually do? Are they still being made (like QC and GQC)? Is that kind of a promotion?

2 Likes

Power segmentors have special access to segment on all the channels on Viki. segmentors can become power segmentors if they wish to become one and we(any community member) can nominate a segmentor for that position.

Inorder to maintain their status they must cut atleast 3000( I don’t know if this is exactly the correct number) in span of 3 months.

I read an article about power segmentors on the help centre,but now it’s not there.

Screenshot_20211220-014345_Chrome

You will get this badge if you become a power segmentor

2 Likes

I signed up for Ninja Academy a few weeks ago… unfortunately they are very backed up. I don’t even know if they’re even active?

Even though I have some segments under my belt, I thought going through the academy might give me more cred to work as a segmenter.

3 Likes

They are definitely active. That’s why the waiting list is so long.

If you want to work as a segmenter on Viki, the Ninja Academy is obligated (unless you already went through Seg101 in the past).

5 Likes

I don’t think I did. Not sure. I segmented in the past because my language was/and still is, a very small community. Most of us did subbing & segging when needed.

3 Likes

Another reason the list is so long is that during the pandemic so many people signed up for the NSSA.
Don’t worry, we are definitely working on it. Just be patient :smile:.

6 Likes

This is the article that I found through glossary of terms
https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/articles/200139354-How-to-get-Power-Segmenter-status-

I guess they’re not interested in it anymore.

2 Likes

Back in the days …
When sometimes seggers were needed at a certain moment, they could just “jump” into a project without being added, I think it was even before you could add subbers to a team. All these measures didn’t exist as far as I remember.
Power segmenters had the experience and the qualification and were recommended, I don’t think it is “needed” now. Isn’t it with seggers just like with subbers, they need to be added to the team now, it wouldn’t change that much if they are Power Segmenter, or not?

Edit, followed your link was thrown out of the Help Center not the first time. Opened the topic later and wanted to follow the “here” that was mentioned under Power Segmenter and this is what happened:
Screenshot%20(763)

4 Likes

I think you are correct. I don’t think power segmenters can jump into any project, it’s more like a QC badge. I’ve never tried to test it, nor do I want to :sweat_smile:

1 Like

As I said, that was in the past maybe around 2011, you could ask in the comments if a Power Segmenter was there to help and most of the time, there was help on the way.

2 Likes

Oh, I deleted my ‘at the moment’ at the end of my sentence :woman_facepalming:.

Yeah, makes sense that it was like that in the past and would’ve probably been helpful :smile:. It would be nice if Viki clarified what a power segmenter is these days and whether it’s just a badge or something more…

2 Likes

There are still people who are able to segment trailers months before there is even a CM. And I’m not talking about the staff.
Still, we had someone nominated a long time ago and never got a response from Viki.

3 Likes