No licenses for the big hit Cdramas

I am guessing they have no money for popular cdramas so they get really cheap ones thinking people won’t care too much and keep watching kdramas. I also think some cdramas are not selling anymore and posting directly on youtube.

Even if they didn’t license new dramas, I really wish they would start looking at licensing fan channels that people show interest in. Especially since many of the fan channels that were wiped had some considerable amount of work put into it with subbing, segging, etc. I wonder if the licensing forms even work…

7 Likes

Every big chinese drama is on youtube now. Its in full 1080p HD ,its free , and while the subs aren’t as great as viki , the release time is usually while it is airing. I don’t even know why i use viki anymore.

3 Likes

Exactly, , I am leaving Viki, I won’t renew my subscription. Lately, I find no very interesting serie. I am FED Up with those silly kdramas. It seems that 2 years ago, the choice was wider: historical corean or chinese dramas, wuxia etc… Now it is 90% juvenile rom-com with bad scenario and bad acting. I found what I am missing elsewhere. The best drama Viki allowed me to see is Nirvana in fire: un pur chef d’oeuvre.
Too bad Viki doesn’t seem eager to keep more mature customers like me.

1 Like

don’t leave yet, perhaps we’ll get NIF 2 :wink:

BTW, i can’t believe that dramafever got the license of the cdrama Tribes And Empires Storm Of Prophecy. This can become a hindrance? Oh Lord, i really wanted to see this drama here. I hope that the users of here continue asking for the license. :bow::clap:

1 Like

Add two hot dramas:

Nothing Gold Can Stay
Day and Night

Oh no :cry: that’s unexpected, I was hoping Viki will get it, but perhaps they reserved NIF 2. DF got also Princess Agents first…

1 Like

See, there are all sorts of people here at viki.
For instance, I find that there are too many C-dramas as it is.

Already FIFTY FOUR this year until today! And thinking of how long they are, they take up the triple time than Korean shows.
Korean shows appear to be a little more than 100 for 2017, but given the Kocowa situation since last summer, the ratio will become significantly less by the end of the year. And, again, they are usually 16 to 20 episodes long.

and

They should make a poll here, and find out the percentage of people who watch more Korean or more Chinese shows. And plan their content accordingly.

[quote=“kyle_eg, post:20, topic:15741”]
I can only see 1 upcoming and 0 airing Chinese dramas of any type. My location is Canada, not sure if it’s any different for Americans.
While demand for the dramas isn’t as high as Korean ones, there is still a lot of interest and they were licensing a reasonable number in the past. [/quote]
See, there are all sorts of people here at viki. For instance, I find that there are too many C-dramas as it is.
Now of course, the point of the original poster is that Chinese dramas are indeed many but they didn’t choose the good ones, and that’s probably a valid point!
But don’t say they are too few because it’s just not true. The fact that you saw only 1 upcoming means there’s a hiatus this moment, but if you look at the overall number of recent productions, the picture changes. You are implying there isn’t a reasonable number. How much is reasonable for you?
There are already FIFTY FOUR C-dramas this year until today! And thinking of how long they are, they take up the triple time than Korean shows, so if you count the total hours, China is the protagonist this year!

Korean shows appear to be a little more than 100 for 2017, but given the Kocowa situation since last summer, the ratio will become significantly less by the end of the year. And, again, they are usually 16 to 20 episodes long.

Viki should make a poll, and find out the percentage of people who watch more Korean or more Chinese shows. And plan their content accordingly.

@daniellemont_17: There are many K-dramas which are not silly rom-coms. Unless you’re only talking of C-dramas.

They don’t need to do a poll. Korean dramas would obviously win out. And yes while the traditional chinese drama takes up a lot of time - how about web dramas like Proud of Love which they did license?

They added Princess Agents late - hopefully they do something similar for shows airing now (I personally wanted to see Oh My General get a license).

I think viki got many C-drama, they must like those swimmers dramas a lot :wink: personally I think some modern dramas are not great. I watch mostly only wuxia, fantasy and other historical or fiction/secret agent type like Decoded. I would like to see Tribes and Empires and NIF2 I keep fingers crossed although it seems comp. streaming got T&E already :frowning: Princess Agents came in also very late) perhaps it’s a money question… at least we’ve got Fighters Destiny…

I’m just waiting to see if they get Oh My General, then probably next year I’ll be asking for Legend of Fu Yao… still I was impressed that they got Princess Agents.
Other thing that I really don’t like is that they can’t keep older cdramas, like they had Journey of Flower and Shan Shan comes to eat (and other old kdramas too), they might be old, but they are still popular cdramas… all the work of the subbers gone :frowning:

Even then, it would be useful to know the percentages. For instance:

and so on.

1 Like

Journey of Flower was a fan channel and they did not have the license for it, that’s why that went. It was from 2015 - so I’d have to say that getting Nirvana in Fire was really the best drama of that year, and we lucked out there. Still, I have seen JOF - and Huo Wallace is compelling. :slight_smile:

We also did get at least one drama you could not find elsewhere, and certainly not with the level of subs we put on it in many languages - I know I was one of the folks who did enjoy Men with Swords 1 and 2. I personally would like to see the third season made there and I’d run it, you bet. :slight_smile: Can’t let Zhong Kunyi have the last laugh…literally!:slight_smile:

As I said once earlier this year, 2017 is proving to be a landmark year for Chinese drama.

And now, I’ll go back to watching the raw of Tribes and Empires: Storm of Prophecy. :slight_smile: The drama that is filmed as beautifully as Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit…and this is 80 episodes long. :slight_smile:

Jia You… :slight_smile:

Crouching Dieter, Hidden Donut the buffet is OPEN, people…queue up, get your plates…and enjoy. Need subs? Well…there are fansubs operating out there, and options…even if we can’t do the excellent job we are able to do here. What a pity though that the best dramas do not enjoy our best work on them…!

2 Likes

> And now, I’ll go back to watching the raw of Tribes and Empires: Storm of Prophecy. :slight_smile: The drama that is filmed as beautifully as Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit…and this is 80 episodes long. :slight_smile:

oh lord~~ i need more Shawn Dou in my life too!~ Wae I didn’t learn Mandarin… wae?
#whiteenvy #crylikeabitch

i wouldn’t bet on NIF 2. The concurrence announced that they got the license quite some time ago already.

Oh My General will be available on Youtube in the near future, take a look at the list here, it’s on top: https://cdramabase.com/2017/11/22/crowdfunding-help-getting-more-cdramas-subbed/

1 Like

I’m afraid your statements are totally wrong. You’re completely ignoring that a large part of these 54 channels are actually fan channels. I by chance counted how many Cdramas Viki had this year in another context a few days ago, see in the comments section here: https://www.viki.com/tv/35704c-only-side-by-side-with-you

We had 34 Chinese dramas this year and I don’t think this is a lot at all if you consider that China airs more then 400 Cdramas per year. What Viki has doesn’t even make up 10% of it.

Also, I believe your other statement that a Chinese drama takes up the triple time of a Korean drama is really exaggerated. First of all, you have to take into consideration that episodes of Cdramas are considerably shorter with 30-45 min against Kdramas with 60-70 min per episode. Furthermore, Viki licensed several web dramas which are really short.

To avoid that wrong impressions are spread here and to have some actual facts, I took some of my busy time out and made some calculations:

Viki has licensed 34 Chinese dramas this year so far with an average of 31,6 hours per drama which is not even the double, and certainly not the triple amount of Kdramas. And you can’t forget either that 16 hours is not the average of a Kdrama but rather the minimum. There are also many that are 20, 24 or even 50 episodes long, so the average length should be somewhere around 20 hours, if not even more.

When you’re saying Viki has too many Cdramas, this is simply your subjective impression since you’re not a Cdrama watcher, it is not a fact.

4 Likes

Nil desparandum :slight_smile:

If you are fortunate enough to be within the DF sphere of influence…you may see it with deficient but at least some English subtitles starting November 27th. At least, that’s what I have heard. :slight_smile:

I can say by Episode 8 that …(deep breath) the fireworks have already begun.

And I’m quite sure generous souls worldwide will put up numerous versions of this one, never fear. :slight_smile:

Crouching Dieter, Hidden Dragon…and now, to shift sites to catch more episodes. :slight_smile: Or maybe Game of Hunting…Rule the World…or back to Nothing Gold? :)…the banquet table groans, my friends…here, take a plate. :slight_smile: and have a bowl of wine, yes…pours wine for everyone except the one curmudgeon in sight… GAN BEI!

1 Like