No, the Timed Comments are not a live chat or a place to spam!

N E I N.

No, no, no

1 Like

Yes, there have been a few occasions where I’m a bit lost because concentrating on subtitles too much and not having a full picture of what is happening in a scene, I turn TC on and see if anyone else was as confused as me and most times people comment asking the same question that someone else answered, that’s so and so, or explaining what happened. Saves having to try find when a character was introduced, or to remind self how a situation occurred, something that is a right pain as hovering over points along the time line doesn’t show a little thumbnail of the scene at that timeline.
There have been a few occasions also where I’ve turned on TC on for a bit just to see if others reactions to a scene was the same as mine, if nothing else just by the concentration of comments around a scene, even if they do go over the top with :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: or :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:
Useful at times like learn mode. Of course once I’m done I do turn it off again as it can be quite distracting if there’s a lot of comments changing and that’s where the quality of what’s in the comments is the issue here.

3 Likes

But if the subtitles already distract you too much from what’s going on on screen (which I totally understand, btw), then HOW do you manage to read the TC without getting even more behind with the story? :joy:

Nope, can’t do both at the same time! It’s ok to rewind a short amount back to read the TC, turn it off again and continue, it’s preferable to jumping back and forth at random points on the timeline trying to find particular scenes to clarify something.

1 Like

Yeah, even I love the TCs to see if everyone is reacting the same as me…and there are some REALLY funny people out there with their witty lines that me laugh even harder, and it feels like we’re watching it together :joy: That’s why I won’t be completely happy if TCs are done away with

5 Likes

No, but 1) it’s helpful in some cases and 2) some comments are gold. They are becoming more and more rare, but when you do find them and you have TC’s on, the watching experience becomes so much better

5 Likes

Personally, I no longer enjoy the time comments bc some ppl talk pure garbage. I believe TC commenters for unknown reason it feels like they are attacking the readers, and some comments are really filthy. One comment was so explicit, it made me feel disgusted and nauseous. The most disgusting part was that the scene was so irrelevant to that gross TC.

How are they able to write these sexual comments without facing consequences? Deleting a comment IS NOT enough. their account should be DELETED and they should be notified why the account was deleted (most of this ppl don’t even have standard pass) I believe they made that page for their ‘‘evil deed’’

I turn off time comments bc giving attention to this ppl when we tell them something just encourage them to write more garbage. When moderators delete their comment it must enrage them bc you see their TC in every other comment. Where they find the time and energy?

Yes, very, very, rarely now there’s one or two comment that will make you laugh, but in between TC there are so many that are annoying, disgusting and ‘‘dumb’’ comments like; I luv BTS or where are the subs in portuguese/italian/french/spanish? Ugh

Worse yet, with the new video design the TC is so low that is a nuisance in the screen. I think it should be eliminated and with reviews and comments should be enough NOTHING should be in the video screen when we are watching the drama. Is distracting and no longer serves its purpose.

PS OLD VIKI used to write time comments under the video with a time stamped on the right side. I wonder if we can go to the old way? I’m talking back 2012/2013.

1 Like

There was a poll a few years back I think. The Timed Comments survived. :smirk:

1 Like

Maybe it’s time for a new poll then. The voters from then might have left, there are some new people now.

2 Likes

Definitely from me a rotund TAKE IT OUT! Time Comments need to be removed already. The Moderators need that time to work in the dramas/movies not wasting time deleting garbage or nonsense.

Whoever had the idea to create it, seems not to want to let it go bc: what keeps it there, if is now more annoying than entertaining?

1 Like

I don’t want the timed comments gone, I want them to be used sensibly and the timed commenters to be made aware of the guidelines. It was a great feature before, when viki was more a niche and people using it knew how the site worked because they didn’t stumble upon it by accident but came on purpose. Now viewers just come on this website unknowingly and the guidelines are very hard to find (it’s as if viki wants to hide those, you have to hunt for any info on this). It’s only normal that people make ill use of it if they’ve never been made aware of the proper usage. So before removing the TC feature altogether, it’s best to see how it would turn out if the users were informed of the basic guidelines. This goes for the entirety of the viki website, but especially for timed comments.

My point of view is: Explain how something works first, before deeming it unfit for proper use.

7 Likes

Flat out removing the system itself because of the behaviour of some of the people that abuse it isn’t really an answer. If the TC is an open system and only has a delete after the fact type moderation then sure it will organically morph into a cesspool of bad behaviour.
You’re punishing those that do play by the rules for the sake of cleansing out the ones that don’t.
If the TC had a clear set of guidelines of what is/isn’t acceptable comments, a system of warnings if breached and ultimately barring from using that system, eventually you weed out the undesirables for the one who use TC as it was intended.
After all if you got rid of TC what would be next? They’ll all go over to Review and (not that it isn’t already happening) lower the score of a decent drama because of the same undisciplined behaviour, 1 star sub whining, irrelevant reviews, I luv/hate actor x, etc then perhaps we should just do away with the review system too when that gets out of hand.
There are chat software that you can set a list of barred words so that it prevent posting. Maybe have explicit/swear words, k-pop band names and language + “subtitle” etc
As for comment fights, since translators/subtitlers and segmenters are all volunteers maybe have a new volunteering category “garbage collectors” who will delete comments according to the guidelines. They just need to be impartial and maybe also know some Spanish/Potrugese as a lot of TC are in those languages too. (or maybe just know what "I what/where is the subs for [language x] in that language)

5 Likes

It’s not like what makes viki unique isn’t 1. the volunteers-powered subbing (with subs added on the video one by one and not uploaded all at once) and 2. the timed comments. Everything else can be found on other websites, legal or not, but not those two things. I just can’t understand why viki hasn’t realized that they need to explain how those two unique features work.

When you can boast a unique feature, you should be careful to explain its use if you don’t want to risk turning that asset into a shortcoming.

7 Likes

well said, thank you Em! :clap::heart:

2 Likes

Only really bad timed comment experience I had was someone posted a spoiler 5 minutes into it - I mean come on! I did not know that can be moderated though , I wonder if that can be deleted it was just awful that people are like that.

I use it from time to time and I it feels like I’m watching it with fans (except those who post spoilers on comments).

If anyone who has the power to delete it - it’s from the series “Strong Woman Do Bong Soon”

2 Likes

I have known native speakers of Korean who love to watch drama on viki with the TC on because they are so funny.

2 Likes

i’m glad you haven’t yet seen ones that completely insult the actors’ bodies or ones that make a romantic scene completely disgusting because of the R-rated comments :flushed: hope you never see them its so awkward and yucky
PS: If you really want some TCs taken down you can mention the time stamp and message the CM

2 Likes

I think that channel has a special TC Moderator, irmar.
If you remember which episode and timestamp it is from, you can let her know so that her work becomes a bit more easier.

2 Likes

I guess either in W or in Hotel Del Luna, I even once saw a WhatsApp link to some wierd chat group in TCs :persevere:

You use to be able to turn on all comments and could report a comment from there, I don’t see anyway to report them anymore.

Something I find annoying in comments are spoiler. I couldn’t tell you how many comments I’ve made just to cover one.

1 Like