Official badges for all academies, please!

The Ninja Subtitling and Segmenting Academy (NSSA) currently has 1 segmenting academy, 5 language academies, and 1 upcoming language academy so 7 academies in total. However, the graduates from only 5 of those 7 get an official badge from Viki on their profile.

afbeelding
afbeelding
afbeelding
1403319030_ninjabadge

[Badge for upcoming academy]

As you see, there are no badges for the Dutch Subtitling Academy, nor for the Portuguese one. Why is that? How can it be that some academies get those badges while others don’t? We have been here for years, but even the academy that still needs to be build has already been promised a badge while we still have nothing.

Please correct this mistake and give all NSSA academies an official badge @brendas @vikicommunity @giant_sean @amm11 @fsl_viki

@damiechan @oriya @bjohnsonwong

18 Likes

I’ve always wondered why the Dutch graduates didn’t get their own badge.
I didn’t know we were one of the only excluded ones :cry:

7 Likes

A long time ago the original founders of the Dutch Academy had made their own badges, iirc. However, now I wouldn’t know where to find them.

4 Likes

Are you referring to the badges the graduates need to paste on their About Me? Cause I meant the ones only Viki can give us, the ones they add to the profiles of Romanian, French, Italian, and segmenting graduates and soon also to those of the upcoming academy, but not to those of the DSA and the PSA.

3 Likes

I think that the subbing academies should have the same importance as the seg academy, but that’s not the case at all.
We need more insensitive from Viki to help new volunteers. The Portuguese academy is closed for a very long time and Viki doesn’t reply my questions for almost a year now. Is like trying to help and they are making it even harder.
I get that the badges that comes automatically are very hard to do, but the academy ones are manually added. I don’t know much about the system, but is this really that hard to do?

5 Likes

Yes, that’s what I meant. It was better than nothing, but an official badge would still be better.

2 Likes

At least, the official badge is a guarantee that someone really graduated. I’ve heard about people pasting the unofficial segmenting badges on their profiles and apply as segmenters while they never even graduated.
Plus, I think all academies should be treated equally.

5 Likes

Another thing is that I’d like to compare all academies and see what differences there are.
I only know how the Dutch academy works and honestly it’s not very ideal for true beginners. It is more suitable for translators who already do have some experience here on Viki and who just need some guidance in the right direction. I think it could be a great learning experience if we understand how other languages use the academy.

4 Likes

@cerejacult,
I read @brendas response earlier, check it, here’s the link to the post.

That’s not relevant for this post and it doesn’t provide any answers, not even to the most simple questions.

1 Like

I think it is, @brendas may have addressed that topic’s concern, but the acknowledgement says “outstanding,” and “beyond.” I’ve @ her on my quote, so she can clarify, and agree, or disagree whether this topics concern is also apart of her reply.

Which upcoming language academy? No new languages have been added to the academy for 2 years.

I received the following message from those responsible for the academy on December 24, 2021 and since then no news that anything has changed.

“Unfortunately, we are unable to accept new academies at this time as we work on improving the existing program. Thank you for your interest and for all your efforts teaching volunteers. It is wonderful to see such dedication and support for new subbers. We will let you know in the future as changes arise.”

Do you have any new information?

2 Likes

@thaly1209 A Spanish academy has been green-lit, right?

1 Like

In consultation with amypun and mazza or one that is not official? Or in consultation with Viki and not the two people responsible for the academy?

1 Like

In consultation with Viki and @bjohnsonwong as far as I know. Mazza and amypun haven’t been active in a long time.

5 Likes

There was for Portuguese.

4 Likes

I am in contact with Brendas and we started discussing a few ideas. However, I was told by another contributor that they had started setting things up. Not 100% sure how far along they are.

2 Likes

Consultation with Brendas who is not responsible for the academy, as far as I know. However, I am guessing that to set up anything, she has to get in contact with the people responsible for the academy or viki in general.

3 Likes