Please define "relaunch"

i love anything japanese but i am starting to think this whole “japanese relaunch” is just all hot air. if viki is indeed licensing new japanese content now they are hiding it well. dont get me wrong i am starving for anything new japanese and was willing eat any crumb they feed me. but i think that claiming they are doing a relaunch then giving us a 2 year old drama a 1 year old drama and an 9 month old drama is a bit of a stretch. in the month since the “relaunch” i went to the coming soon section today i found 5 korean dramas,5 chinese dramas,2 taiwanese dramas , and wait for it…0 japanese dramas. like i said i will take anything they give me but i wouldnt call this a relaunch. in other words please dont sh*t in my hand and call it chocolate. viki please look up the word relaunch and then tell us what you really meant when you dropped 3 old dramas and tried to call it a relaunch. i call it “click bait”. and “getting our hopes up for nothing”.

1 Like

At this point I must agree with you on this.
I didn’t mind the fact that they were not current on-air dramas per se, because we surely have missed quite a few during the time when Japanese dramas were so scarce. But at least one of them is quite unimpressive (I watched an episode elsewhere), and most of all, there was no follow-up with more stuff.
I mean, I would understand if these 2-3 were just the precursors, and then more stuff came. But if they stopped coming, or it’s just a trickle, it’s not a relaunch.
Let’s hope there are indeed discussions underway for more content.

Update: I just searched again, and I saw lots of Japanese things that were never there before. All aired before 2016, to be sure, but they were definitely not on viki before.
And there are some more Japanese videos in Project Finder too, including two films:
a 2-episode horror offering, Dokurogeni, from 2013
and a film, Yakuza vs. Ninja, from 2012.
Not my cup of tea, really, but I suppose there are fans of these genres.

1 Like

not my cup of tea either but i was kinda looking for something within the last year at least. i mean even with what you found we are talking 4 and 5 year old films . far from considered a “relaunch”. netflix just dropped 7 new (2017) japanese dramas in the last 6 months and a new seaon of a drama from last year with 3 more set to drop in the next 3 months. how can netflix beat a japanese company at releasing japanese dramas?

1 Like

LOL, yes! It doesn’t make sense, does it?

1 Like