Please stop translating the lyrics in the music

now I see what you mean!

ok now a question, where can we go for the intrepertations of those songs? I am now watching the Spice of a Woman,

the young singer sang it earlier in the episode, and had the english subs there. that is really a neat song, so where can we go? Youtube? maybe, I really havent checked that out yet.

1 Like

I agree with oriya. Itā€™s okay to translate the song when itā€™s heard without interruption, but it doesnā€™t really make sense to try to sub it partially when itā€™s just a background music in the middle of a dialogue. You canā€™t even hear the full lyrics and it clutters and distracts you from the actual conversation.

6 Likes

For example, I googled Bang Bang song lyrics interpretation.
Song Meanings gave me the full lyrics.
I was five and he was six
We rode on horses made of sticks
He wore black and I wore white
He would always win the fight

Bang bang, he shot me down
Bang bang, I hit the ground
Bang bang, that awful sound
Bang bang, my baby shot me down

Seasons came and changed the time
When I grew up, I called him mine
He would always laugh and say
ā€œRemember when we used to play?ā€
Bang bang, I shot you down
Bang bang, you hit the ground
Bang bang, that awful sound
Bang bang, I used to shoot you down

Music played and people sang
Just for me the church bells rang

Now heā€™s gone, I donā€™t know why
And 'til this day, sometimes I cry
He didnā€™t even say goodbye
He didnā€™t take the time to lie

Hereā€™s the interpretation I like: I think that the fact that its a game in the beginning is because itā€™s explaining the innocence of the temptation to false happiness at first sight. Itā€™s easy to think that it was true happiness that you found, but it was always wrong, hence the fact that it ā€œShot her down.ā€
The second verse has the main character completely entranced by this falsified happiness, even though the devil (being the boy) reminds her that sheā€™s been ā€œshot downā€ by these feelings before.
The next verse reads that church bells rang only for her. While I really like the way that people interpret this as the groom leaving the main character, I think itā€™s something different. One of the only times a church bell will ring for you and you alone is a funeral.
So what I think has happened is that when the main character dies in the song, she finally realizes that sheā€™s been living with false happiness her entire life, and that in death, thereā€™s no comforting voice to ā€œtake the time to lie.ā€ And so after all this, the character is shot down once again.

I found out that most other language moderators do not add lyrics when there is dialogue, and itā€™s mostly English moderators who include them when thereā€™s space in the segment. Once the English is there, I think the other languages then have the option to include them or not. Some languages require way more space to convey a meaning. :sunny:

The end is:

The Chief editor mostly picks.
Sometimes the CM.

As a viewer, you donā€™t pick.
No matter what your preference is, it might not be othersā€™ preferences.

Is it important? Itā€™s songs. Relative, relative.

Idiom: All is relative.
Everything is relative.

The definition in French is better:
ā€œThat is not self-sufficient, nor absolute, nor independant.
Everything is relative, you cannot judge anything in itself.ā€

One of the explanations:
https://www.quora.com/What-does-everything-in-the-world-is-relative-mean

Screenshot_20200612-192808_Chrome

I did find the song on youtube, and since I told yā€™all I was watching the scent of a woman again, I happenchance heard an old song on there the 15tjh or 16th episode, tie a yellow ribbon around the old oak tree! how neat! still a tear-jerker, but still loved it

1 Like

We discussed and listened to that song in English class when i was in highschool! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

the one i still wish someone would competently give us the songs forā€¦all of themā€¦WARRIOR BAEK DONG SOO.

ONE or two lines someone put in ā€¦most of the way through the dramaā€¦taunt and haunt me as I am sure these are great lyrics. The songs were clearly written to match what is a drama above many, with great acting and never a dull moment!

Thatā€™s the one on my wish list, been there for years. If it happens,somebody let me know. Canā€™t find good translations of those ANYWHERE!

GeNie, who enjoys translating lyricsā€¦but knows too little Korean!

1 Like

and trhe tune just keeps floating in the brain.

have you tried you tube.deadliftdiva? yeah theres a lot of dramas and movies that do have catchy songs,melodies that keep swimming around the brain, try panda & hedgehog, and its on you tube. cute but catchy,

1 Like

We do not have a higher-level video translation set of tools, some give up to 9 fields where you may put the character plaque, a lyric line separately, the dialogue, and translation noteā€¦all separately so that a person does not feel the same crowding.

Apologies, but many people do want the lyrics if audible in a scene, and many times they ARE indeed part of the scenery and mood itself. To lose what the original language audience would enjoy is a shame to the rest of the world.

We do our best in the timing and formatting of such situations, and itā€™s not always ideal, but mostly we do get both across. Wish list for volunteers is obviously the more sophisticated engine used by some outfits on complex dramas - if you look at sub group Jianghuā€™s translation of Three Kingdoms (2010) on Youtube, you will then understand what i mean. Not only can you see everything, you may choose what you care to read of all the massive information given on every scene!

GeNie of the Lamp, Editor to the Stars
Mei Daxia

3 Likes

There are many, many more things the drama Warrior Baek Dong Soo needs. Above all, an accurate and consistent English translation of all things other than lyrics. And then lyrics would be nice, as well.

2 Likes

The melody reminds me somehow on an old show or cartoon hmm could it be that it was used with different lyrics somewhere too?

Now I have to think the whole day from where I know it until I can remember it (hopefully). :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I have no idea, but let me know when you find out. :slight_smile:

Haha, I once had an old song in my mind for days without having a clue about the artist or the song title. And just typing in some part of the lyrics on YouTube or whatever didnā€™t help me, cause all I remember was the chorus and it went like this:

Heeheehee hahaha hee
Heeheehee hahaha hee
Heeheehee hahaha hee
Hee ha ha hohoho
Ha ha hohoho
Ha ha hohoho

You can imagine searching for that gave all kinds of results, but not the song I was having in my mind. :rofl:

In the end, after long and hard thinking, I finally got an idea about which band it might have been and from there on the search got easier and I found it:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll do, I hope I get an idea too :slight_smile:

I found it, had to remember the lyrics :smiley:

3 Likes

Cool! And it didnā€™t even take you that long! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, luckily I remembered the main sentence and image :slight_smile:

And this melody is so nice, because it is a mix of melancholy and happiness.

instrumental versions:

3 Likes

I like the song!

1 Like

:heart_eyes: Pinocchio :heart_eyes: The heart becomes very warm :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: the Memory, I say I was there :grin:

1 Like

that scent of a woman song (you are so beautiful) still drifting in my head!

@frustratedwriter @gaby_heitmann_975

Nice that you like it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Back then there were such cute and nice intro songs and anime for kids in our TV stations :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Indeed!

4 Likes