PLS HELP! |Why do you love K-dramas?

Hello everyone!

I have a persuasive topic, which is K-dramas are the best tv shows, to present for my English class.
Many people in my class have prejudices against Kdramas (or anything related to Korea) and I want to show them it’s not that bad. I hope I can achieve this :slight_smile:
So to use as arguments I need your answers; why do you love k-dramas, what is the best thing about them, what is your favourite kind of drama? :slight_smile: It would be great if you also write about your age.
Thank you all for your answers and help <3
-Jr. Hermione

5 Likes

Mm, I can relate to fighting back against prejudices in relation to Kdramas! When I first got into Kdramas, my family thought I was a weirdo, but then I explained the differences between our cultures, and I even got my mom to watch three of them! I think that this is because the audience doesn’t know about Korea or Korean society, so they will have resistance towards something new until you show them that although different, it is still enjoyable to learn about.

Why do I love K-drama?
-I learn a new language and culture I otherwise have no exposure to (I’m not Korean, nor do I have any close Korean friends)
-Kdramas can address various topics such as gender expectations (man’s role/woman’s role), bullying, bribery, injustice, friendship love, romantic love, perseverance, beauty expectations, good/evil, family roles, etc.
-Kdramas come in all genres! Whenever I feel like watching a certain genre, there is always a Kdrama for it.
-Kdramas expose me to different lifestyles and motivations and decisions that people can make.
-Historical Kdramas have amazing costumes! I was motivated to sew a hanbok for a doll I crocheted :smiley:
-Umm, what about the OST and songs? Most of the time, they are beautiful or catchy or just plain cool.

What do I like best about Kdramas?
I get to learn about another culture, but what’s cool is that I can relate to the characters in different ways; in other words, when I watch Kdramas, I feel that my participation in the Human Experience is acknowledged.

What is my favorite kind of drama?
Melodramas are my favorite genre of Kdrama, but I usually like any genre except for sci-fi dramas that involve zombies and silly romcoms. The dramas that make me ponder them for days on end and the ones that I remember with an ache in my heart are my favorite dramas.

6 Likes

Thank you so much for your answer! <3

3 Likes

Hmm… Interesting topic.
Why I initially got attracted to K-dramas and what still is the reason I love them is, as Helena said, the variety of genres. They always show new ideas and make you think about topics and people you would otherwise not think about. Several dramas discuss certain ideas or certain topics and not meant to be just pure entertainment. Of course, dramas and movies from other countries also can be like that, but the majority in my point of view do not act as anything more than something to pass time with, without offering any new ideas or insights.

3 Likes

1: You learn a whole bunch of stuff that you couldn’t learn elsewhere.
2: They aren’t as explicit (sexually, and otherwise, which I believe is destructive for especially young teenagers) as western dramas often tend to be.
3: Learning about a different language & culture.
4: Seeing life from a new perspective.

5 Likes

Thank you! <3

1 Like

Thanks so much!

2 Likes

I’m in my thirties and last year I discovered the world of k-dramas.
Personally I love them, both for the content and for the format: each drama touches many different themes, and the format is more similar to a “very long movie” rather than a classic TV series.

Obviously, I don’t put all k-dramas on the same level, but the best dramas always have unexpected turns of events, not obvious endings (perhaps because of the different culture) and an excellent direction.

Moreover, there are many different genres: I convinced my whole family to watch k-dramas and I found the most suitable for each: fantasy for my mother, romantic for my sisters, crime for my brother and historical for my father.

Not to mention the great acting skills of some actors and actress (and, why not, their amazing beauty :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

5 Likes

Ahaha thank you so much!! <3

1 Like

compared to the American and other dramas& movies, they are cleaner, they don’t jump into bed with someone they just met,
learn awesome cooking recipes, languages, how they ac\t & react to the personal contact with someone lifestyles
the actors & actresses, awesome to watch them. this senior lady here does enjoy watching these young people( my son’s ages)
the historical dramas the clothes , wow, I love those dramas , at least some how they fly in the air esp when they fight, well we know its with wires and such.

oh and some of the historical dramas have some of their history in them,of course fiction added to them, just more cleaner is all I can say, but learn a lot about their history

now you can find blood & gore in some , but they clean it up more than the american ones.

3 Likes

Thank you for your huge help! <3

Koreanske serije sam upoznala preko dve istorijske serije koje su bile emitovane na lokalnoj TV Ii bila sam oduševljena sa svim aspektima serija.Interesantne istorijske priče i likovi ali i način kako su te priče ispričane.Tako sam se susrela sa velikim umetnicima filmskog izraza.Toliko su veliki umetnici da i do danas pratim te serije,bilo da su istorijske ili urbane.Osim toga bave se svim žanrovima i svaka priča je jedinstvena za sebe bilo da je drama ili komedija a veoma neguju romantiku i neguju ljubav.Inače moje mišljenje je da mogu biti interesantne za sve uzraste.A posebno što imamo priliku da upoznamo novu kulturu i običaje koji su zanimljivi.

3 Likes

Hi, I am in my 60s and I discovered Kdramas while working in Australia for a couple of years. I had never heard of them in my native U.K. I loved them so much that I even visited South Korea on my way back to Europe.
I think I like them because they are romantic and often hilarious. I get excited when someone is kissing! Being English, you can guess that I have watched quite sexualised films and dramas, but I find it them a bit boring. I love the guys in Kdramas, I think they are fantastic looking and in such good shape. My husband puts up with my drooling.
My all time favourite is Secret Affair. No sex was shown, just the sound, but it was so moving that I couldn’t sit still. Another favourite of mine is Secretary Kim - so funny!
Kdramas have definitely broadened my outlook, and made me study the history and culture of Korea, and although I can only speak a few words of Korean, I often dream in that language!
Good luck, and tell people that all those fantastic looking guys make at least one old woman extremely happy lol!

3 Likes

same here and I am 10 years older nor003a1790-549. I have technically adopeted those “Kids” love watching them.

3 Likes

my daughter is also interested in the film that is being liked by this woman

2 Likes