Poems and poetry

Playlist of Ted-Ed: “There’s a poem for that”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGB_K_xlHdI&list=PLJicmE8fK0Egxi0hgy5Tw-NFyLcpJ4bzJ

Analysis of poems:
The first one Analysis of Robert Frost’s “The Road Not Taken”:
https://youtu.be/fMcsadmTPoE

3 Likes

Beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing!
Umm… In the end, there is no right or wrong path to take. We only tell ourselves that one is better than the other, giving purpose to our lives.

1 Like

I’m reminded of Edith Piaf’s song Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien, where she says she won’t regret anything. I think that is a decision one has to make, to not regret whatever path you chose. First off, however, one must really ponder the path before them and make their decision cautiously.

4 Likes

One of my fav songs!!

2 Likes

@adrianmorales

I thought about you when I was watching this video:

She made a full playlist called “Spoken Word Poetry”:

“Toxic Love” was the second one I liked.

1 Like

Thank you! I really appreciate it. Well, there’s no reason for her to conform to such expectations, is there? She was born in the Age of the Internet. Unlike previous generations, she has the means to communicate with virtually anyone that inhabits this planet, know their culture and befriend them, eradicating the ignorance that breeds fear and racism. Sadly, her generation will also feel the full impact of Global Warming. Yet for the first time in history, she can actually do something about it. Alongside her generation, she can break free from the dominion of fossil fuels and big oil companies. She can elect intelligent leaders who are focused on technology and green energy, not dirty politicians who have destroyed the planet just to satisfy their own greed.
Umm… I tell you honestly that my only hope lies with future generations. May their choices allow them to shatter the old order of things and create a healthy and just planet, where everyone has a place on it.
I’m a poet myself, so I’m allowed to dream, after all. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Are you busy lately? I was thinking I was seeing you less here! How come?

I think it depends on expectations, not only from the society, but she also mentioned family or school.
Saying no is not so evident sometimes.

And by expectations, she’s also talking about “norms.”
Like, you know at school, when some kids have some new toys or marbles, but you don’t have anything, how can you play with them or make friends? (I don’t say that we have to buy the latest toys to make friends lol, just that following some “norms” is a way to conform and blind in, but also, not being excluded for some people or be accepted in a social group.)

And then, all this beauty apology on instagram, youtube, all social medias, you see people showing their abs, their makeup, their dressing code, their body. By seeing that, it triggers in some people a feeling of inferiority or not being a part of something or a group (the “in”, the “out”, the “sportive”, the "dieters’ hashtags…) or not being enough good (according to what? The social norm or beauty norm relayed by social media?).

Is it not because we need love and we’re afraid of rejection?
Or is it about acceptance of oneself or acceptance from others?
Or?

Lol, you’re not that old, why waiting for your children or for future generations?
What do you want teach to your children?

1 Like

I’ve been busy with a few projects. Maybe I’ll share them here too.

Well, she has her whole life in front of her. She’s also quite smart. No reason to submit herself to any norms… Umm… “norm” actually comes from the word “normal.” Nothing normal in the world, I tell you, but that’s just me. And speaking of yours truly, I’ll let my artistic work be my legacy as it were. Everyone needs to realise already that we all have a common responsibility to take care of this planet, as well as those on it.

2 Likes

Yes, share them here!
I think nothing’s normal too :slight_smile:

1 Like

The very first poem I learned in Classical Chinese class. Unforgettable!

Learned it with music as well. Not quite the same song (ours had a livelier tempo). Just sharing an example.

4 Likes

Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley - 1849-1903

Background:

"At the age of 12, Henley contracted tuberculosis of the bone. A few years later, the disease progressed to his foot, and physicians announced that the only way to save his life was to amputate directly below the knee. It was amputated when he was 17. Despite his disability, he survived with one foot intact and led an active life until his death at the age of 53.

This poem was written by Henley shortly after his leg was amputated and although he wrote many poems while in hospital, this one is largely his claim to fame."

Source: https://invictusexplained.wordpress.com/

3 Likes

Powerful words indeed. I know many who find strength and hope in them. :hugs: :heart:

2 Likes

Words and poetry are powerful and beautiful.

I paused after reading these 2 sentences and thought they were my favorites.

1 Like

I tried write some poems lately, but the result were not so good. I know that I need to improve my writing proficiency and eglish skills. I had some experience in usng help of
cheap essay writer too.

1 Like

How did it turn out? :slight_smile: