Pricing restructure of Viki Pass proposal (North America)

I get what your saying, but I also feel like translating in the native language is easier for beginner subbers.

What I was trying to say is there are more options to volunteer on Viki. Subbing is just one of the few.

Oh Sorry! I understood that wrong!!

1 Like

I donā€™t always get the impression that the companies with paid subbers DO check the quality ā€¦

1 Like

Idk for other websites!
If that is the case, theyā€™d like to check what we can do before paying us.

Or else, anyone would try lol

1 Like

I use ondemandkorea and dramacool, but the subtitles seem pretty accurate. But it might be because I understand Korean and English.

1 Like

Yes, there is a difference and still at least for Germany I can say there are still a lot of volunteers out there, to provide groceries for the less well off, as I said in sports clubbing especially for children, ā€¦ We do have a big culture of registered charity, if all these activities/institutions were to be paid ā€¦ Letā€™s not even think about it. But some do have a lot of employees to, itā€™s just that it is not only employees.

I noticed some subtitles on Netflix that sure could have done with some editing. Some of it completely wrong and some of it way too obviously translated from English. Just like Viki, Netflix also lets their subbers translate foreign shows based on the English translation instead of directly from the original language. That in itself is already questionable, but on top of that they donā€™t do anything to make sure that the viewers wonā€™t notice it.

1 Like

I agree with that. I also feel like the people who sub donā€™t necessarily work to actually get accurate translations.

2 Likes

so i really dont see how i would be useful as a volunteer and even if i was and got a pass for free that would not solve how uneven the pricing model is compared to other services ?

You could also see it differently, other services are aggressively in the market with lower prices they want to get rid of competitors. You see in business some are calculating on how long they can do without losing too much money themselves but letting other opponents ā€œbleed outā€. Like some did the calculation for dramafever, too much work not enough profit, too much competition, no time for that, get rid of it.

2 Likes

I donā€™t understand your question.

Volunteers donā€™t contribute on Viki to lower the price originally if thatā€™s what you mean for usefulness. They donā€™t have a say in the price.

Itā€™s a hobby for the majority.

2 Likes

no im asking how am I as oerson who only xom[etently speaks one langue of any use

You can edit, segment and caption for English or Asian (if youā€™re an English speaker).

I am not sure Iā€™ve understood it correctly.

Exactly. I actually think viki provides very good value for money in the grand scheme of things. Even when you do choose to pay you donā€™t pay all that much. The annual standard pass in pound sterling is Ā£46.49 (if you subscribe via Google play) . For what you get this is practically nothing for 12 months access.

Especially when you consider that the price above includes taxes as lets just say the UK has a rather overzealous tax regime 20p in every pound paid is tax when buying most things. The annual price, excluding tax would be Ā£37.19. ( HM revenue and Customs are greedy people :face_with_raised_eyebrow:)

By comparison, for access to HD content Netflix charge Ā£7.99 a month.(Including tax) So, for simplicity, letā€™s run at up to 8 pounds so that Ā£96 a year for 12 months access as Netflix donā€™t provide annual access for a slightly reduced price like viki does.

Apologies for using pound sterling in my comparison but for obvious reasons I have to as it helps me to wrap my head around the numbers as dollars doesnā€™t have real value to me.

1 Like

but see the value for me isnt there 135.24 Canadian Dollar would be my cost if i paid yearly with current model so im lucky in that i get plus but not really as you see im still international and Can actually gets less then US even though i have viki pass plus

I must confess I actually got the monthly Netflix price for her HD access wrong, itā€™s actually Ā£8.99. But my point still stands. I forgot that a few months ago, they increased the price of the standard plan by 1 pound. I currently subscribe to the premium plan, so I havenā€™t been affected by price rises in awhile.

Hereā€™s the application form for the Ninja Segmenting Academy:

If you graduate from there, you can start helping out as a segmenter.

The other option is joining the English team as a GE (General Editor). That means editing someone elseā€™s English translations to check if itā€™s proper English. No other languages needed.

You might also caption English spoken videos for the Learn Mode.

3 Likes

I really do think pricing for NA needs optimizing

Producing anime is a fraction of the cost of producing dramas.
Hire actors (famous ones cost more) vs Voice actors
Going to locations vs drawing the background ā€œlocationā€ from the comfort of the studio.
Camera crews, sound crews, makeup, caters, transport, riggers, assistants, etc all of which anime production doesnā€™t incur cost on.
Think you get the idea.
Initial corporate sponsorship and adverting deals aside, how is any TV station going to recoup the cost and hopefully make a profit on top afterwards, if not through either broadcast/free streaming advertising and licensing to streaming services.

is a mega corp willing to take a big hit to muscle in on the streaming business, especially now with the theme parks, cruises and cinema being shut by Mr Wuhan, with months free trials to try and get a foothold as they are desperate to have an alternate means of distributing their cinema arm of Disney back catalogue, Fox, Marvel, Star wars franchise. That mouse may be smiling at you, but itā€™s to get you to open your wallet.

2 Likes